• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Caulk in a ceramic shower

Tom7227

I did a ceramic shower a number of years ago.  There is a ledge at the door and on both sides of the ledge I put in a metal strip to cover the exposed edge of the tiles.  I caulked the top of that strip with quality material like clear GE Silicone but now the caulk is failing.  I am wondering if I need to, or even should, clean it out and re-caulk.  I suspect but can't recall that I grouted the area after the metal strip was put in place and so that did whatever it did.  There is no indication that the metal has moved in any way or deteriorated.  While it isn't the end of the world to re-caulk I am just wondering if it isn't sort of a belt and suspenders kind of thing.  Advice?

Thanks for your time.

Tom

31 minutes ago, Tom7227 said:

I did a ceramic shower a number of years ago.  There is a ledge at the door and on both sides of the ledge I put in a metal strip to cover the exposed edge of the tiles.  I caulked the top of that strip with quality material like clear GE Silicone but now the caulk is failing.  I am wondering if I need to, or even should, clean it out and re-caulk.  I suspect but can't recall that I grouted the area after the metal strip was put in place and so that did whatever it did.  There is no indication that the metal has moved in any way or deteriorated.  While it isn't the end of the world to re-caulk I am just wondering if it isn't sort of a belt and suspenders kind of thing.  Advice?

Thanks for your time.

Tom

Just hit it with a little caulk remover and throw a fresh bead on.  I use that stuff a lot even if it's not coming apart but just becomes hard to clean.  Comes in a bottle similar to elmers glue and works great.  Just give it a few hours to a day to penetrate.

Microban is. Guaranteed. Has something in it that KILLS any mold. The bathroom remodel places use it and guarantee it for as long as ya own it. Mine looks like shiny new after 6 years.  Works for me, anyway.

DSC03666.JPG

I can't for the life of me remember what this was called when we did it. Was in a white and red caulk tube with a "Microban" gold seal on it. Not DAP, not Red Devil.......I'll nose around online.

DANG! It WAS DAP.  It DOES take 24 hrs minimum to cure. Make sure yer danged good laying a bead (like mine...:P) because you do NOT want to try to smooth it with yer finger or anything else. The reviews are by clowns that don't know how to caulk, It amazes me watching some of these construction guys that can't lay a proper bead. I actually love caulking and can lay a line down like nobody's business. But, that's beside the point. The stuff worked for me.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Kwik-Seal-Plus-10-1-oz-Kitchen-and-Bath-Adhesive-Caulk-with-Microban-18519/100357222

2 hours ago, Mike89 said:

why not use your finger?  moisture? 

You should never have to do that, if you can lay a bead right. Plus, this stuff is REALLY tacky, you'll end up wid a big balled up mess if ya try smoothing it.

What in God's name is that disaster ya got a pic of there, Delbert?! PS....you can't lay a good bead with the squeeze tube style. That's for toothpaste. Get a GOOD caulk gun and a regular caulk cartridge of the stuff. I've been using my Hyde gun for about 15 yrs now....

11 hours ago, RebelSS said:

You should never have to do that, if you can lay a bead right. Plus, this stuff is REALLY tacky, you'll end up wid a big balled up mess if ya try smoothing it.

What in God's name is that disaster ya got a pic of there, Delbert?! PS....you can't lay a good bead with the squeeze tube style. That's for toothpaste. Get a GOOD caulk gun and a regular caulk cartridge of the stuff. I've been using my Hyde gun for about 15 yrs now....

I work in the residential construction sector and most of the homes we are working in are at the high end if the market and I can say that there isn't a single sub that caulks in these homes including painters, plumbers, myself, tile and Cambria installers etc who doesn't smooth out the caulk with their fingers after they apply it.

It not only looks better but that also pushes the caulk into the seam and gives a superior bond. You might do an acceptable job your way but what you just ripped as being bad is superior to what you do.

I had a stint as a project manager for one of the biggest pork producers in the nation building and repairing facilities and due to disease prevention we would literally use pallets of caulk per project sealing every location where air could come into the facility and bypass the filtration system. The top guys in the company did extensive testing and proved that the bead failure rate was zero when you use your finger to smooth it out and push the bead into the seam while it was fairly high when just running a bead and leaving it as is. 

Just saying..:grin:

A bead under direct pressure from a gun, while moved slowly and at the proper angle,  doesn't need to be pushed into the seam.  The direct pressure forces it into the seam. So the contractors taught me years ago when I was doing it. I've never had a one fail me yet after all these years. But, whatever works for ya. Lotsa different ways to do things.  ;)

12 hours ago, RebelSS said:

I've worked for one contractor and have watched several more work and every one of them smooths out caulk. As far as I know it is the preferred way to apply. If stickiness is a problem you can try spritzing it with denatured alcohol right before smoothing.

I guess if you can lay a nice,continuous, tight bead down, there's really no reason to have to "smooth it out".  I did my entire kitchen and bath after I remodeled it, and this is straight from the gun, untouched. But, whatever works for ya. This is just how I do mine. ;)

DSC03668.JPG

DSC03670.JPG

3 hours ago, RebelSS said:

A bead under direct pressure from a gun, while moved slowly and at the proper angle,  doesn't need to be pushed into the seam.  The direct pressure forces it into the seam. So the contractors taught me years ago when I was doing it. I've never had a one fail me yet after all these years. But, whatever works for ya. Lotsa different ways to do things.  ;)

Moved slowly? Do you think the construction world works by having people leisurely take their time screwing around like that when it can be done faster and look better doing it the way everyone else does?

"Screwing around?"  "The way everyone else does"?  Who's everyone else? My buddies don't. The painters and rockers I had didn't.  You've got false info. This is for a small home project. Reread my post, I said it's the way I was taught, and it works for me.... and whatever works for ya. Furthermore, I could really care less. All this over caulking a shower?  Take it to sillytown and argue about it. I've got better things to do than argue unrelated moot points. You guys would argue if it's day or night out. Go argue with your dog or something. You're not gonna get it  out of me.

1 hour ago, RebelSS said:

"Screwing around?"  "The way everyone else does"?  Who's everyone else? My buddies don't. The painters and rockers I had didn't.  You've got false info. This is for a small home project. Reread my post, I said it's the way I was taught, and it works for me.... and whatever works for ya. Furthermore, I could really care less. All this over caulking a shower?  Take it to sillytown and argue about it. I've got better things to do than argue unrelated moot points. You guys would argue if it's day or night out. Go argue with your dog or something. You're not gonna get it  out of me.

Seriously? 

You were the one who started ripping on the construction trades and how they caulk. I know things obviously are different depending on the quality and skill level of the trades you are working with or hiring but I do know the pictures you posted would not meet expectations on the jobs I am working on so when you start saying things like that about people in an industry you are probably going to get blowback.:grin:  Relax a little bit. No need to get wound up. 

8 hours ago, RebelSS said:

EEWWWWW! Time to rip, burn, tear and re-caulk!!  Get some more airflow in that area, and spritz it down after a shower with some water and a bit of bleach mix...

Surely you jest.  Might re caulk as in the past.     But standing around spraying bleach?  ANFW as we used to say