• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

See ya chippie

bobberineyes

Not a falcon, worked with so many of those at MAYO.  Hard to tell me....maybe a kestrel, or if bigger, a Coopers...I have a family of those here. Only way for me to tell them apart from sharp-shinned is their distinct cry....KAKKAKKAK ....sound familiar??

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Coopers_Hawk/sounds

Kestrel pic...but your birds eye looks more like a hawk to me, boober.

kestrel.jpg

14 hours ago, RebelSS said:

O heck, dat easy!! Why didntcha say so?! Dats a broadwing, I think!!! Does it sound like this:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Broad-winged_Hawk/sound

=

Yep, sounds just like them.  I'll have to watch a little closer the Mrs said the hawk got a sparrow the day before. Maybe there's more than one kind feeding at the feeder.. Thank ya sir!!

Looks like a Cooper's to me, but sounding like a broadwing, maybe you got both hanging around?  Definitely not a falcon though. 

The mass migration of the broadwings is really something to see.  Years ago had one go over my city bus route in SE Iowa;  I lost count in the midhundreds in the air all at the same time, soaring on the thermals and I wasn't half done.   I never saw anything quite like it since.

The hawk migration south has definitely begun for this year, too.   On the road this past week, I saw quite a number of them on fence posts and soaring. 

Still some turkey vultures around, but they should be leaving very soon, too.  It seems to me that years ago they didn't come quite this far north, at least not in the numbers we are seeing now.

Vocalizations: Birds of prey are not typically vocal, but Cooper's hawks will use a rapid, sharp “keh-keh-keh-keh-keh-keh” call alarmed or aggressive, as well as a high pitched whistle when threatened or in distress.

cooper-sharpie.jpg

Sharp Shinned left......  Coopers right. 

I see them about once a week here. 

I know. I've had a nest of Cooper's in my tree that have driven me nuts all Spring/Summer with their KAK KAK KAK KAK.....

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Coopers_Hawk/sounds?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImv3U16ui1gIVAqppCh37kAPFEAAYASAAEgJatfD_BwE

Just sayin', I took it he meant that it was it's "normal' call....the whistle. 

I just watched "mine" land in a tree crotch that had a small squirrel on the other side......squirrel was giving it's "whine" distress call, and sidling around the tree, directly across from hawk. This went on for ten minutes; surprisingly, the hawk just flew away...couldn't get a vid; tree had too many leaves.

1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

coopers or sharp shinned. they love bird feeders. LOL 

yea i'v had them swipe a few of the birds I feed a couple times this summer.:angry::(

on another note last nite i was cleaning up dog reminants around the yard and found a young bird in the lawn. looked like it could of been a young finch???????? thought it was odd to find a youngin this time of year. checked later and was nowhere to be found!!!!!!!!

16 minutes ago, smurfy said:

yea i'v had them swipe a few of the birds I feed a couple times this summer.:angry::(

on another note last nite i was cleaning up dog reminants around the yard and found a young bird in the lawn. looked like it could of been a young finch???????? thought it was odd to find a youngin this time of year. checked later and was nowhere to be found!!!!!!!!

And how many cocktails had you consumed? :whistle: