• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leaking oil

Ufatz

Family member has new Lund,  about 25 hours on it, powered by 150 Merc. The other day they noticed when motor tipped up it dripping some oil,  not a lot, but enough to make them nervous.  Outfit is back at dealers now.  I'm suggesting it is a seal or gasket and nothing serious.

What do you folks think? Nephew not all that familiar with boats and motors so I thought I'd look for possible solutions.  It is probably going to wait quite a while for service.

31 minutes ago, smurfy said:

when I first seen   saw the title to this I thought mike 89 was talkin about his Harley!!!!!!!!!:crazy::P:grin:

oh and do you 2 need to have a group hug!!!!!!!!:grin:

Saw. when I first saw.  Thought I would fix that before eyeguy54 came by! :lol:

On 9/6/2017 at 7:05 PM, leech~~ said:

Preliminary report is that a leak has developed between the powerhead and the sump? Makes no sense to me but then I am not familiar with that engine either. The reason I posted in the first place was the thread might help a fellow member with a similar problem. Dealer has sent photos etc. to the powers above to learn next move.

I understand power head and sump...but not in context of a Mercury outboard. :)

Oh boy, that's not good....sorry to hear that.  If it was me, I'd push for possibly another new engine, rather than start (maybe) pulling powerhead, gaskets, drive seals, etc. on a brand new engine and dickering around to find the source. Some 150 Verado's had that prob a while back, with a valve knocking pressure in sump too high, blowing shaft seals out. Hope it's something else; good luck.

very weird.... Ufatz quotes Leech at 7:05 pm on 9/6 as saying something about the sump,

Preliminary report is that a leak has developed between the powerhead and the sump? Makes no sense to me but then I am not familiar with that engine either. The reason I posted in the first place was the thread might help a fellow member with a similar problem. Dealer has sent photos etc. to the powers above to learn next move.

while the actual post from leech at that same time and date says (as of right now)

Oh, so no Wingnut here? :(

(cue twilight zone theme)  

I believe RebellSS is correct and that is the course the kids will pursue.  This is a brand new boat with minimal hours on it.

And, as a snide aside, it's biggest problem is that it is a Mercury.

Yamaha. Honda.Suzuki.....for many years in AK with very few if any problems,  and this was out in the land where you just could not afford problems!!   Ha Ha Ha.

On 9/9/2017 at 2:59 PM, delcecchi said:

very weird.... Ufatz quotes Leech at 7:05 pm on 9/6 as saying something about the sump,

while the actual post from leech at that same time and date says (as of right now)

(cue twilight zone theme)  

Holy-e-craap Del I thought that I had lost my mind too!  But, it looks like it was Ufatz that fat fingered something? :crazy:

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Holy-e-craap Del I thought that I had lost my mind too!  But, it looks like it was Ufatz that fat fingered something? :crazy:

I can't imagine what happened.  So was it something with the sump?  Or is the wingnut loose?  

Getting a new replacement motor seems unlikely to me, BTW.  No matter who made the motor, unless the dealer really stands up. 

On 9/6/2017 at 7:57 AM, Ufatz said:

I'm going to pay all costs for my Nephew not covered under warranty to get his boat back in the water, because I have lots of cash anyway and am a great uncle! :)

Yes you are!! ;)

Edited by leech~~

Okay fellas,  it is NOT funny to post a note under another members name!  I don't know where the above quote about "paying all costs etc.."...came from and while it might be cute it is not my post.

Let's not do that any more.

8 minutes ago, Ufatz said:

Okay fellas,  it is NOT funny to post a note under another members name!  I don't know where the above quote about "paying all costs etc.."...came from and while it might be cute it is not my post.

ikr! suks when folks do that! :whistle:

On 9/9/2017 at 9:49 AM, Ufatz said:

Edited by leech~~

On 9/9/2017 at 7:48 PM, Ufatz said:

I believe RebellSS is correct and that is the course the kids will pursue.  This is a brand new boat with minimal hours on it.

And, as a snide aside, it's biggest problem is that it is a Mercury.

Yamaha. Honda.Suzuki.....for many years in AK with very few if any problems,  and this was out in the land where you just could not afford problems!!   Ha Ha Ha.

Ya, I'll agree with the last line....:D  Hope it all works out well, Ufatz.  Keep us informed....!

3 hours ago, Ufatz said:

joke.jpg

you guys need to relax.....

I dont believe anyone modified ufatz post

What I think happened is Ufatz clicked on an old post of leeches that was posted on "09/05 @ 7:05pm"  to quote, deleted the txt of leeches original post that was quoted and then typed a a new response in the quote.....

the other one by leech is one that was fubarred and taken out of the original context