• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marine Starting battery

leech~~

Whatcha using and for how long? 

Looking for a size 24 to start a 75 Merc.  Been using the Fleet farm Star Bright 650 MCA and getting about 3 years out of them.  Suk's when they leave you out on the lake like last weekend! :angry:

Looking for staying around or under a $100.  Was going to try the Exide 24MSXX but read only bad reviews for only getting a few years out of them? 

So what affordable starting batteries are you using? 

34 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Nuttin' but Interstates for me....the gr 24 Marine comes in at just about $100, too. 

I was looking at that one.  Not sure if CCA or MCA's are as important on a boat motor as AMP hrs and (RC) Reserve Capacity?

The Interstate I looked at had 120 RC where some only show 80 RC.  Lot's of companies aren't even listing their RC or AH on their batteries. :(

Difference between CCA and MCA (Marine cranking Amps) is CCA is measured at 0* degrees, and MCA's at 32* F.  The higher the better. Always get the highest you can.  Reserve is not as important on a starting batt as it is on a deep-cycle trolling, as it's only used in short bursts to start the engine. AGM's are far better than acid batts, but then the price goes up. I've had about everything out there over the years, and when I sold my boat last year, it had two 7 yo old interstates in it, still going strong. All I will say is STAY AWAY from Wally World Never starts; they're called that for a reason...:angry:  Johnson Controls used to make them for them, I don't know if they still do. There are only about 3 big batt companies that make all the batts for everyone, but ya need to remember, they make them to that dealers specs....that's why ones like Never Starts are so much cheaper.

14 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Difference between CCA and MCA (Marine cranking Amps) is CCA is measured at 0* degrees, and MCA's at 32* F.  The higher the better. Always get the highest you can.  Reserve is not as important on a starting batt as it is on a deep-cycle trolling, as it's only used in short bursts to start the engine. AGM's are far better than acid batts, but then the price goes up. I've had about everything out there over the years, and when I sold my boat last year, it had two 7 yo old interstates in it, still going strong. All I will say is STAY AWAY from Wally World Never starts; they're called that for a reason...:angry:  Johnson Controls used to make them for them, I don't know if they still do. There are only about 3 big batt companies that make all the batts for everyone, but ya need to remember, they make them to that dealers specs....that's why ones like Never Starts are so much cheaper.

But, but I want to drift fish with my motor off and locator on, so I like some RC too please! :(:grin:

I do now have a AGM in my Dual Sport bike and it's seems to be doing pretty well. They just cost a lot more in the grown up size batteries!

20 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Well, buy TWO batts like the rest of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :tired:

No trolling motor or anything else but the locator running when the motors off. Just need a battery with some balls!  :lol:

Ohhh noooo...nuh uh. If it's dat way, yer gonna get a Never Start from Wally World. I'll supervise and fish while youse guys 'lectrically short out everything.  Got any tasty snacks on hand?  Catchin' fish makes me hungry.  :P

2 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Ohhh noooo...nuh uh. If it's dat way, yer gonna get a Never Start from Wally World. I'll supervise and fish while youse guys 'lectrically short out everything.  Got any tasty snacks on hand?  Catchin' fish makes me hungry.  :P

Ok but it's only my Bull head spots no Walleye for a Wally world battery! :grin:

Waldos don't interest me anymore. Too many years of tourney fishin' them. I'll take some nice striper, bullheads, or crappies if'n ya got any. How about we the beer batter and deep fry them bullheads? My Dad and I would make a platter of them like that, and eat every one.

15 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Whatcha using and for how long? 

Looking for a size 24 to start a 75 Merc.  Been using the Fleet farm Star Bright 650 MCA and getting about 3 years out of them.  Suk's when they leave you out on the lake like last weekend! :angry:

Looking for staying around or under a $100.  Was going to try the Exide 24MSXX but read only bad reviews for only getting a few years out of them? 

So what affordable starting batteries are you using? 

ah quit being a tight azz and spend some of dat moldy money!!!!!!!!!!:grin: and you'd deserve to get stuck out on the lake buying anything at wallyworld!!!!!!:P

and WOW dis tread went south in a hurry!!!!!!!!!:):eek:

8 minutes ago, smurfy said:

ah quit being a tight azz and spend some of dat moldy money!!!!!!!!!!:grin: and you'd deserve to get stuck out on the lake buying anything at wallyworld!!!!!!:P

and WOW dis tread went south in a hurry!!!!!!!!!:):eek:

Hey dat was a Fleet battery which did die not no Wally world!! :angry:  And da money is going out faster then mold can grow. Camper frig went out two weeks ago, and as we speak I got two guys pouring a new cement steps on the front of the house.  Now a new sparker for dasboat!  I don't need all this right before Hunting season!! :sick:

Get an INTERSTATE, ya wingnut!!! Read the reviews!!! Look back in the old threads!!!~Of course, someones gonna pop in and tell ya about how ya gotta have an Optima.....:tired: sheesh!  Make sure they pour ya those "two-way" steps....ones ya can go UP, and DOWN....:lol:

11 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Get an INTERSTATE, ya wingnut!!! Read the reviews!!! Look back in the old threads!!!~Of course, someones gonna pop in and tell ya about how ya gotta have an Optima.....:tired: sheesh!  Make sure they pour ya those "two-way" steps....ones ya can go UP, and DOWN....:lol:

Yep you sold me on the interstate.  And the steps will open up to get rid of unwanted solicitors down to visit Dave! :D

8 hours ago, RebelSS said:

I have found that reserve capacity is significant since modern electronics, typically powered off the starting battery, along with live wells etc can run the starting battery down.  Of course if you plug the boat in every night with onboard charger, or have a modern motor and run it at cruise for a good while then you are ok.  

Otherwise, get a big RC and keep it charged every night. 

59 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

I have found that reserve capacity is significant since modern electronics, typically powered off the starting battery, along with live wells etc can run the starting battery down.  Of course if you plug the boat in every night with onboard charger, or have a modern motor and run it at cruise for a good while then you are ok. 

Otherwise, get a big RC and keep it charged every night.

She sits on a lift all summer Del so I should really get a solar panel like I do for the lift battery.

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

She sits on a lift all summer Del so I should really get a solar panel like I do for the lift battery.

That would work.  I found out about the problem with my old motor, with the puny output.  Run too much stuff and after a few days, not start. That motivated me to hook up the third bank on the charger.

How do you charge the trolling motor battery? 

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

That would work.  I found out about the problem with my old motor, with the puny output.  Run too much stuff and after a few days, not start. That motivated me to hook up the third bank on the charger.

How do you charge the trolling motor battery? 

No trolling motor, got rid of that and the 2 ton Deep cycle a few years ago since I mostly drift fish anyway.