Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

  • Announcements

    • Rick

      Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

      Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
leech~~

Marine Starting battery

Recommended Posts

Whatcha using and for how long? 

Looking for a size 24 to start a 75 Merc.  Been using the Fleet farm Star Bright 650 MCA and getting about 3 years out of them.  Suk's when they leave you out on the lake like last weekend! :angry:

Looking for staying around or under a $100.  Was going to try the Exide 24MSXX but read only bad reviews for only getting a few years out of them? 

So what affordable starting batteries are you using? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Nuttin' but Interstates for me....the gr 24 Marine comes in at just about $100, too. 

I was looking at that one.  Not sure if CCA or MCA's are as important on a boat motor as AMP hrs and (RC) Reserve Capacity?

The Interstate I looked at had 120 RC where some only show 80 RC.  Lot's of companies aren't even listing their RC or AH on their batteries. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Difference between CCA and MCA (Marine cranking Amps) is CCA is measured at 0* degrees, and MCA's at 32* F.  The higher the better. Always get the highest you can.  Reserve is not as important on a starting batt as it is on a deep-cycle trolling, as it's only used in short bursts to start the engine. AGM's are far better than acid batts, but then the price goes up. I've had about everything out there over the years, and when I sold my boat last year, it had two 7 yo old interstates in it, still going strong. All I will say is STAY AWAY from Wally World Never starts; they're called that for a reason...:angry:  Johnson Controls used to make them for them, I don't know if they still do. There are only about 3 big batt companies that make all the batts for everyone, but ya need to remember, they make them to that dealers specs....that's why ones like Never Starts are so much cheaper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Difference between CCA and MCA (Marine cranking Amps) is CCA is measured at 0* degrees, and MCA's at 32* F.  The higher the better. Always get the highest you can.  Reserve is not as important on a starting batt as it is on a deep-cycle trolling, as it's only used in short bursts to start the engine. AGM's are far better than acid batts, but then the price goes up. I've had about everything out there over the years, and when I sold my boat last year, it had two 7 yo old interstates in it, still going strong. All I will say is STAY AWAY from Wally World Never starts; they're called that for a reason...:angry:  Johnson Controls used to make them for them, I don't know if they still do. There are only about 3 big batt companies that make all the batts for everyone, but ya need to remember, they make them to that dealers specs....that's why ones like Never Starts are so much cheaper.

But, but I want to drift fish with my motor off and locator on, so I like some RC too please! :(:grin:

I do now have a AGM in my Dual Sport bike and it's seems to be doing pretty well. They just cost a lot more in the grown up size batteries!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Well, buy TWO batts like the rest of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :tired:

No trolling motor or anything else but the locator running when the motors off. Just need a battery with some balls!  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, roony said:

Reb, you do the buying, I can help with the installation and the fishing.;)

Ok, but now were talking a Gel cell! :lol:

Edited by leech~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohhh noooo...nuh uh. If it's dat way, yer gonna get a Never Start from Wally World. I'll supervise and fish while youse guys 'lectrically short out everything.  Got any tasty snacks on hand?  Catchin' fish makes me hungry.  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Ohhh noooo...nuh uh. If it's dat way, yer gonna get a Never Start from Wally World. I'll supervise and fish while youse guys 'lectrically short out everything.  Got any tasty snacks on hand?  Catchin' fish makes me hungry.  :P

Ok but it's only my Bull head spots no Walleye for a Wally world battery! :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waldos don't interest me anymore. Too many years of tourney fishin' them. I'll take some nice striper, bullheads, or crappies if'n ya got any. How about we the beer batter and deep fry them bullheads? My Dad and I would make a platter of them like that, and eat every one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Whatcha using and for how long? 

Looking for a size 24 to start a 75 Merc.  Been using the Fleet farm Star Bright 650 MCA and getting about 3 years out of them.  Suk's when they leave you out on the lake like last weekend! :angry:

Looking for staying around or under a $100.  Was going to try the Exide 24MSXX but read only bad reviews for only getting a few years out of them? 

So what affordable starting batteries are you using? 

ah quit being a tight azz and spend some of dat moldy money!!!!!!!!!!:grin: and you'd deserve to get stuck out on the lake buying anything at wallyworld!!!!!!:P

 

and WOW dis tread went south in a hurry!!!!!!!!!:):eek:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, smurfy said:

ah quit being a tight azz and spend some of dat moldy money!!!!!!!!!!:grin: and you'd deserve to get stuck out on the lake buying anything at wallyworld!!!!!!:P

 

and WOW dis tread went south in a hurry!!!!!!!!!:):eek:

Hey dat was a Fleet battery which did die not no Wally world!! :angry:  And da money is going out faster then mold can grow. Camper frig went out two weeks ago, and as we speak I got two guys pouring a new cement steps on the front of the house.  Now a new sparker for dasboat!  I don't need all this right before Hunting season!! :sick:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get an INTERSTATE, ya wingnut!!! Read the reviews!!! Look back in the old threads!!!~Of course, someones gonna pop in and tell ya about how ya gotta have an Optima.....:tired: sheesh!  Make sure they pour ya those "two-way" steps....ones ya can go UP, and DOWN....:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Get an INTERSTATE, ya wingnut!!! Read the reviews!!! Look back in the old threads!!!~Of course, someones gonna pop in and tell ya about how ya gotta have an Optima.....:tired: sheesh!  Make sure they pour ya those "two-way" steps....ones ya can go UP, and DOWN....:lol:

Yep you sold me on the interstate.  And the steps will open up to get rid of unwanted solicitors down to visit Dave! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RebelSS said:

Difference between CCA and MCA (Marine cranking Amps) is CCA is measured at 0* degrees, and MCA's at 32* F.  The higher the better. Always get the highest you can.  Reserve is not as important on a starting batt as it is on a deep-cycle trolling, as it's only used in short bursts to start the engine. AGM's are far better than acid batts, but then the price goes up. I've had about everything out there over the years, and when I sold my boat last year, it had two 7 yo old interstates in it, still going strong. All I will say is STAY AWAY from Wally World Never starts; they're called that for a reason...:angry:  Johnson Controls used to make them for them, I don't know if they still do. There are only about 3 big batt companies that make all the batts for everyone, but ya need to remember, they make them to that dealers specs....that's why ones like Never Starts are so much cheaper.

I have found that reserve capacity is significant since modern electronics, typically powered off the starting battery, along with live wells etc can run the starting battery down.  Of course if you plug the boat in every night with onboard charger, or have a modern motor and run it at cruise for a good while then you are ok.  

 

Otherwise, get a big RC and keep it charged every night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

I have found that reserve capacity is significant since modern electronics, typically powered off the starting battery, along with live wells etc can run the starting battery down.  Of course if you plug the boat in every night with onboard charger, or have a modern motor and run it at cruise for a good while then you are ok. 

 

Otherwise, get a big RC and keep it charged every night.

She sits on a lift all summer Del so I should really get a solar panel like I do for the lift battery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, roony said:

Reb, you do the buying, I can help with the installation and the fishing.;)

and i'll watch and fish!!!!!!! someone gotta be da boss!!!!!!!!!!:P oh reb don't forget extra chips!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

She sits on a lift all summer Del so I should really get a solar panel like I do for the lift battery.

That would work.  I found out about the problem with my old motor, with the puny output.  Run too much stuff and after a few days, not start. That motivated me to hook up the third bank on the charger.

How do you charge the trolling motor battery? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

That would work.  I found out about the problem with my old motor, with the puny output.  Run too much stuff and after a few days, not start. That motivated me to hook up the third bank on the charger.

How do you charge the trolling motor battery? 

No trolling motor, got rid of that and the 2 ton Deep cycle a few years ago since I mostly drift fish anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




  • Posts

    • Everyone is correct in saying that a converter is the way to go. When hooked up to shoreline or generator power, batteries are efficiently being charged while also providing clean 120v AC and 12v DC power. There may be an additional option to give you the best of both worlds though....   How many 120 v circuits are you planning on having? Is it safe to assume that everything will be on one? Assuming that you will be running a honda or similar 2000 watt inverter-style generator... One 15 amp circuit is about all you will be able to run. I am in the same boat as you are... I have quite a bit of battery capability on board and a generator... but would like to be able to run 120v without having the generator going. What I am thinking about doing is this....     Now... I haven't tried this yet and by no means am an electrician.. But my thought is that my single AC circuit that feeds my outlets would be wired to a male plug. The Line out from my converter would be wired to a household female plug.... And then there is the inverter which already has a female plug. Basically, I can choose which source I want to use to feed the outlets... either inverter or generator. There may be better ways to do this, such as a transfer or 3-way switch - but I think it would be nice to physically know where the power is coming from. To me, this is the easiest way to have the best of both worlds, while ensuring that aren't using your inverter to charge your batteries back through the converter. Any of ya smart guys see why this wouldn't work?
    • Maybe they just stop working as well as the alternatives.   That could be because (speculation on my part) that the organisms that a crawler harness or a crawler on a rig emulate or resemble become less abundant in the fall and minnows have grown to the point where they are attractive to the walleye.   So the walleye are no longer eating bugs or crayfish for example but have switched to minnows.  I do know, based on the writings of a number of people and personal experience, that crawlers lose effectiveness compared to minnows in the fall on Vermilion.   Likewise starting out in the spring, and gradually crawlers become more effective than minnows. 
    • in the fall for walleye. Seems everyone switches to cranks or jigs and minnows in fall. Is there a biological reason why people don't think walleye so will hit a crawler harness in the fall?  Even all articles regarding fall walleye fishing talk more about using cranks or big minnows and dismiss crawler harness use that time of year
    • Went for a nice walk in the woods Sunday. Got one out of two hours of walking. Flushed a few but too many leaves yet. There's birds out their but I think the cool, wet spring affected brood survival.  
    • I donated these shells this week to an outdoor organization. All 500 of 'em!
    • So, Sunday mid morning I'm in a pretty good Walleye bite, two fish from a limit. And I stop to run in and watch the Vikings game.  note to self: Get head examined this week!  No stringers-right!
    • Not sure but if you throw some drab paint on it-it's a Duck Boat!
    • If I were to go back it wouldn't even have been a question.  Hydraulic is definitely the answer.
    • Opening day for grouse in the arrowhead I missed 3 birds and did not shoot at 4 due flying low over Finn. It was foggy raining but I did see 4 moose and a big black wolf. According to my phone I hiked 10.7 miles. sunday started off cloudy but the sun came out. The first trail about 30 yards from the car Finn flushed a grouse it flies up and straight down the trail bang one for one. Finn flushed 3 more birds on that trail but never saw them. The next trail we were walking down a grouse flew down in front of us and the grouse tried to hide in the clover in the middle of the tire tracks. Finn flushed it and went straight up and landed in a tree. Haha dumb bird I made a nice head shot and Finn made the retrieve.   We put on 9.8 miles but I left my phone in the car on two trails. Finn flushed a few more birds but I never fired a shot as they were to low or never seen them. For grouse numbers as high as the dnr said they must not have a great hatch or something. I was hoping to get some young dumb birds for Finn but we did not find them.
  • Our Sponsors