• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bama

Big Dave2

15 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

I think the problem is the size of the league. The only way a playoff system will work is to cut down the number of Division 1 NCAA schools. It will never work for the game of football in a league with 129 teams in 11 conferences of all different sizes. There's no conformity to it. 

With all the concussion and health issues and players NFL careers at stake, there is no way the NCAA lengthens the season for these teams 3 or 4 more games, it isn't happening.

TV Ratings would take a hit also with all those watered down games. Who wants to watch Auburn play Boise State in a first round playoff match up?

College football is not the NFL and for good reason. College football is all about the rivalries and the rituals. SEC fans don't want to watch their team play a Big 10 team unless it is for all the marbles...

Then maybe the answer is to split college football into 2 tiers. The top 5 conferences in one tier to play for a championship and the rest go into tier 2 to play for another championship?

I agree with pretty much everything you said.  The only thing I disagree with is a game like Auburn vs Boise State.  What if the UCF vs Auburn game was a playoff game?  You don't think that would have drawn any interest?  What about UCF vs whoever after UCF advances after beating Auburn?  I think it creates more interest for fans that don't live in SEC country. I know I'd watch more if I were going to see some different match ups.

However, you are right that the size of Division 1 makes it really difficult.  Maybe a 2 tier system would help, I know its been discussed by college coaches in the past. Although I'm sure the second tier would look like the NIT tournament in basketball with no one really caring. 

There probably isn't a great way to solve the issue.  I'd just like to see teams outside the top 5 conferences given a shot when they deserve it.  Maybe the answer is in tweaking how the rankings work where strength of schedule is de-emphasized.  I really don't have too many answers or suggestions on that since I don't know the inner workings of the ranking system.

I wonder if maybe putting rules around early season non-conference play to force more top tier teams to play competitive teams from outside their conference could also help.  Then at least theres a chance to play some of these top teams and earn your way into the 4 team playoff.  Even a team like Minnesota who is in one of the top 5 conferences could benefit from something like that.  Even if MN goes undefeated they'll only have one maybe 2 signature wins depending on the schedule that season.  Without the traditional pedigree of a Bama or Ohio State I wonder how a team like Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, etc would look in the rankings if they put together a great season.  I bet they'd get dinged a little by their history and reputation as typical non-contenders if they don't have a chance to play more of the top tier teams. 

8 minutes ago, nofishfisherman said:

I agree with pretty much everything you said.  The only thing I disagree with is a game like Auburn vs Boise State.  What if the UCF vs Auburn game was a playoff game?  You don't think that would have drawn any interest?  What about UCF vs whoever after UCF advances after beating Auburn?  I think it creates more interest for fans that don't live in SEC country. I know I'd watch more if I were going to see some different match ups.

Sounds like ESPN doesn't agree with you....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/heres-why-there-will-not-be-an-eight-team-college-football-playoff-anytime-soon/

ESPN isn't exactly in a spending mood: The Worldwide Leader just laid off 150 more people. It is losing cable subscribers by the boatload. It (and Fox) actively lobbied the Big 12 not to expand last year so as to not be on the hook for a $1 billion codicil in the existing rights contract. In what universe would ESPN be interested in doubling the size of the playoff, thus increasing its $7 billion payout to the CFP?

There's not much in it for the network except more headaches. Remember, it hustles every day to sell enough ads and get high enough ratings to get their return on the dollar in the current deal. Long ago, a TV consultant told me adding another layer of playoff games would cause ratings to slump. Imagine Cincinnati playing Wisconsin in a quarterfinal game in mid-December. School's out, it's cold and the matchup on its face doesn't rise to the level of a nonconference September game. Oh, and by the way: So far, the CFP is a success -- for ESPN, for advertisers, for fans.

However, you are right that the size of Division 1 makes it really difficult.  Maybe a 2 tier system would help, I know its been discussed by college coaches in the past. Although I'm sure the second tier would look like the NIT tournament in basketball with no one really caring. 

Not only that but the money they wouldn't earn would be substantial.

There probably isn't a great way to solve the issue.  I'd just like to see teams outside the top 5 conferences given a shot when they deserve it.  Maybe the answer is in tweaking how the rankings work where strength of schedule is de-emphasized.  I really don't have too many answers or suggestions on that since I don't know the inner workings of the ranking system.

In my opinion I don't think they deserve it. The Gophers on a good year could probably go in and clean house in some of those conferences. That doesn't mean they deserve a title shot.

I wonder if maybe putting rules around early season non-conference play to force more top tier teams to play competitive teams from outside their conference could also help.  Then at least theres a chance to play some of these top teams and earn your way into the 4 team playoff.  Even a team like Minnesota who is in one of the top 5 conferences could benefit from something like that.

It all depends on a school's goals for the program. You can tell that the Gophers are just trying to reach enough wins for at least a meaningless bowl game so they schedule patsies so they start the season with 4 wins if they are lucky. Meanwhile Alabama started the season with Florida State who was ranked #3 in the nation at the time. Those 2 teams are trying to increase their strength of schedule rating so they can rank well and win a national championship. If a team wants to be in the conversation, they need to find a way to increase their strength of schedule or quit whining.

Even if MN goes undefeated they'll only have one maybe 2 signature wins depending on the schedule that season.  Without the traditional pedigree of a Bama or Ohio State I wonder how a team like Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, etc would look in the rankings if they put together a great season.  I bet they'd get dinged a little by their history and reputation as typical non-contenders if they don't have a chance to play more of the top tier teams. 

Again,the reason they would get dinged is because of strength of schedule. If they would schedule one mid-tier non conference game and beat every one else in the big 10 including 1 or 2 teams like Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State or Wisconsin, they would get their chance. I don't see any of that happening anytime soon.

22 hours ago, Rick said:

I think Ohio State and Wisconsin are the two best teams in the country.

All the Georgia vs Alabama game is, is a rehash of the SEC Championship with Auburn removed.

After all, Auburn beat both Alabama and Georgia. Auburn didn't make it in and Alabama wasn't even in the SEC Championship game. So, no matter what happens, the title game tonight is a joke. You might even say tonight's game is the "Opinion Bowl" for the 4th best team in the country...

Behind Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Auburn.

alabama dont chant ohio state.jpg

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators
On 1/8/2018 at 11:19 PM, Big Dave2 said:

The dynasty continues. :P

What do you mean? They didn't even win the SEC or win the Opinion Bowl last year or the year before either. :P 

So they're the 4th best team in the country behind, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Auburn. :D 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

What do you mean? They didn't even win the SEC or win the Opinion Bowl last year or the year before either. :P 

saban care what you think.jpg

1 hour ago, Rick said:

So they're the 4th best team in the country behind, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Auburn. :D 

made urban meyer quit.jpg

Bama is a powerhouse, that’s why everyone despises them including me:) they are the best team in the league again this year. Similar to the Pats, you can hate them all u want mostly because u can’t beat them. 

I feel the same about OhHowIhateOhiostate as I am a wolverines fan! 

9 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Meh, They shouldn't have even been in the tourney and if they were good they would have won in regulation. Even the Vikings can do that.:P

How many Superbowl wins do the Vikings have? ;):P

vikings tropy case.jpg