• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice rods.... What's your pic and why

muc33

Roll call of what you use and why.  I am biased as a prostaff member so I will stay out of this, but want to hear what you use and more importantly why you use that kind.  Thanks, and good luck this upcomming season and please be safe!

I love my custom Adam Bricker rods. 

The guy just makes rods that look, feel, and preform well. Plus he has some really great options like a rod butt that pops out the back with a fish hook remover. You can also get the option of being able to change out blanks if you want. Which comes in handy if a guy goes from panfishing to walleyes. Plus he stands behind his work. The guy is an artist when it comes to building rods not only with looks, but preformance & function. Nothing else comes close to what he builds. With that being said, I do consider them a luxury item. 

I have a slight addiction and have about 50 open water rods and 40 ice fishing rods, that range from cheap to expensive. 

rl_sd pretty much said it all though. For $30 or less a guy can get a solid ice rod combo that preforms just fine. One of my favorite ice rods is a south bend Rod and reel combo I picked up for $25. It has an 8 ball Bering reel and a ML Rod that works well for perch and walleye. 

For gills when using live bait st croix spring bobber rods.

for gills and crappie when using plastics I use the snitch.

for perch and eyes croxton pond rods in light to med/light

I have about 36 ice set ups but I getting rid    Of some

1 minute ago, monstermoose78 said:

For gills when using live bait st croix spring bobber rods.

for gills and crappie when using plastics I use the snitch.

for perch and eyes croxton pond rods in light to med/light

I have about 36 ice set ups but I am getting rid of some

I had forever used gander mountain rods.  Their spinning rods really fit what i was looking for in a rod.  Stiff spine, with a fast tip.  this combo really allowed me to utilize the rods for multi species.  they switched to fugi eyes i think about 8 years or so ago, and in my opinion really stepped up the quality of the rod.  Now since they are closing, i will probably be switching over to something at cabelas/ or cabelas brand.  I don't have any yet, but that is because my other rods have fared well for the last 13 years.  I do have a few odd ball rods, (heavy rod for northern and my UL for the super light bite.  other than that, i think they are all gander mtn brand.

I've been using Clam rods for a number of years now and they've always been probably the best store rods I've used when compared to Frabills and such.  The ultralights are always so responsive and have held up great with larger fish.  Built in spring bobbers are nice on some of the lighter models.  St. Croix Avid Glass rods are also nice rods for pannies and noodley tip is great for bite detection and also makes it easier for cadence jigging with small jigs/plastics.  I've gotten into higher end, custom rods as well.  Bricker makes a great rod for sure and I have a few customs from him.  Glacial Lakes Outdoors here in SD make some extremely nice rods as well though are much plainer.  What they lack in artisanship, they more than make up for in extremely high quality materials and nearly unmatched rod sensitivity.  Sensitivity is a definite need for me on the ice.

I mainly chase gills and crappies so I still like my old gander UL rods. Titanium spring bobber taped on them for 3 winters now. Bought a 27 inch UL tickestick last winter for crappies in deeper water. Hope to use it this winter. Works sweet off the side of the kayak.