• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are the bass doin these days?

Lals

Spending most of my time in Dallas these days due to my job.  Will be fishing the Otter County Area in a couple of weeks.  Can't wait!  Just wondering what you guys are seeing?  I am assuming the Bass are in and will be in their late summer patterns which to me means that you could find 'em anywhere.  One of the questions my friend had (I guess watching KVD in Elite Series and  Major League fishing -- I think his recent win on the Elite Series on St Lawrence River was mainly a drop shot) was jerk baits for this time of year.  Frankly, I use mostly jigs and plastics.  Watching KVD, I think I should give jerk baits more a try.

Down this way I have been getting most my fish around weed edges and weed clumps. Trigs for good edges and chatterbaits worked on bottom or over the weeds, kinda how I would fish a jig. Water around here is pretty murky right now. Docks have been good on those lakes with dirty water and not so many weeds.

Thanks RD!  Good info. That's an interesting technique with the Chatterbait.  I will try it.  If you don't mind -- what kind of trailer do you like with the Chatterbait for that technique?  There will be 3 of us fishing so it will a little tight.  Probably will only bring 3 rods...  I am thinking a Jig rod, T-rig rod (plan to try a Nekko rig with this as well)  and one moving bait rod (Spinnerbait, Chatterbait, Buzzbait, Frog, Cranks, etc.)  The great thing about Ottertail county (like others in Mn), there are a thousand lakes... we will hit 2 or 3 a day.  If we have good conditions (low pressure/moderate wind) we will probably try Musky on Battle Lake.

I read about someone else fishing them like that, so gave it a try.  I use a smaller paddle tail sometimes or this last weekend I was using a SK Rodent. I've kinda switched to Dbombs and Pit bosses for t-rigs, so I figured I would use up some of those Rodents. They worked good on the Chatterbait for action, but tore up kinda fast.   This technique works best I think in dirtier water for me. I would definately have a t-rig ready too. Been catching a lot on them too!

On 8/25/2017 at 2:46 PM, BTL said:

My only issue with throwing jerkbaits is that they are pike magnets. Agree about OTC, I'm there for two weeks every year and will fish 7 or 8 different lakes during that time.

I was out this weekend, most everything you threw was a PIke magnet!! One $7 chatterbait down the drain! Tried to use leader then, but just doesn't have same action. Same story on another lake, just used spinnerbaits, they are more Pike proof. Luckily the bass were liking them too! This cooler water is waking up the PIke. At least they are fun to catch too.

Great trip with a couple of friends. Hit 8 lakes in 2 days (lakes were typically 500 acres) trying to find some active bigger fish. I don't think I caught one over 3lbs. One friend got a 20" and a 19" fish. Those were on a jig  on a deep weed-line ... that technique was our most productive.... trig was second. We threw "everything and the kitchen  sink" at them but it was tough fishing for that area. We still caught plenty to keep it interesting  but size was lacking. The bites were subtle.  Fish didn't seem very aggressive.  Most fish were hooked barely on the lip. Interesting.  Did try some Musky and we raised a couple brutes last nite but that was it.

Went out today and pounded the bass, nothing huge but a lot of them... They were chasing gills on the surface all day..The only thing I could get them to go on is crankbaits....8-14ft were the best depths where the weeds were tall...

Good to know. I have seen that pattern in the fall. Find gills on the surface and you have a good chance! I will be back in Minnesota in early October which can be great. I had a lot of luck with a spinnerbait with a paddle tail swim bait. Big profile but it seems like they are looking for a big meal. 

Just relaxing and bobber fishing with the Mrs while camping up north 10 days ago, had decent sized suckers on. Had 8 suckers left for the evening bite.

Found where some smallies seemed to be stacked. Two 18"ers, two 19"ers and what looked to be a 20" smallmouth that got off boat side.  A 23" walleye decided to get in on the fun, had a snip off and lost a fish in the weeds 25' feet down. Those were some productive minners.

Bringing more next year.

;)

A nice double and my wife's new personal best bass. 19"

double.jpg

19er.jpg

Btw......for you bass purists :) .... a couple days before the above success, I located mostly largemouth with one smallmouth on the edge of bulrushes adjacent to a deep drop off.  Probably a dozen fish in 20 casts with a Senko. Nothing of any real size. Always fun getting fish on four or five consecutive casts.