• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Webster fishing trip

Hi all, have been planning a trip up to the Webster area for next weekend. I'll be coming from eastern Iowa. Just wanted some info on the bite, or if it is even worth the 7hr. drive. Thanks -M

Just got back, nothing spectacular, decent perch on SE part of Waubay, but you had to sit them out a long time or move A LOT to end up on a school, then you could jerk quite a few, (they are very spooky and you can see bottom in 23', No kidding), otherwise we got 1-5 fish each, each morning. Otherwise struck out at 3 other places, only one walleye on Lynn and dinky perch on two other sloughs. Watch out if you drive your truck on the ice, I found a spot on Lynn Lake that was 6" thick and 20 yards away, a trucks tire tracks were on 10", he got very lucky to say the least. GOOD LUCK.

Scott I tried e-mailing you but it must be an old address. I was out there last week and caught mainly walleyes with a few perch mixed in. We found a good morning bite on Bitter lake in 18 to 20 feet of water. We went to Waubay Refuge in the afternoons and caught them in a bit shallower water there. I used angel eye juniors and jigging raps on my jigging pole and forage minnows on my bobber pole.
I must say some of the locals really didn't seem to appreciate any one out of state being there fishing. I am not a game or meat hog and I paid my license fee just like anyone else. I know some people come and rape the resource just like they have everywhere locals are just as guilty of that as us "out of staters".
Please don't put us all in the same category hout getting to know us.
PS we get lots of people out of state fishing in Minnesota too.
I was just thinking it would be a nice place to take my kids fishing ... didn't know there were such hard feelings out there.

I just returned from the Waubay area and I know that us Minnesota anglers and not always welcomed with open arms. One angler told me and my two sons to go back to Minnesota where we belong, this happened because we were fishing 40 feet away from him, even though we were the only ones on this spot a week ago. I can't understand how rude some people can be to a father taking his two sons fishing, trying to enjoy the gifts mother nature gave us. We weren't out to fill a freezer, just to spend a nice weekend together. I regret that some out of states have given us Minnesotans a bad name.

Sorry to hear you guys had some bad experiences. Not all redsident fisherman are that way. It happens when they catch all these non-redsidents with over there limit. They busted some people from Wiscosion with 300 some perch over the limit a month ago.

I hope you keep coming back to South Dakota.

Flipper, my email is working now. Just click on my name under the moderator list and it will open up an email. Anyone else been fishing in the area? Scott Steil

Guys, I agree with ifishsd! There are many of us that appreciate out of staters. There's no difference what so ever. There are just as many in-state game hogs as there are those that are out of state. As you said, "don't lump us all together", I ask you to do the same for the rest of us South Dakotans. Don't let a few bad apples keep you from bringing your son back into South Dakota. That's what fishing is all about - passing it onto our sons and daughters!!

I was in the Webster area the weekend before Christmas. It was a very positive experience. Paul at the Sportsmans Cove bait was very helpful in putting me on fish. Had a great time, and the locals I talked to were very friendly.

I'm from Iowa. Fish SD 5-6 timer a year. Always been treated great. Have made friends with many locals in the waubay area. I would have one suggestion. fishing 40 ft from somebody without an invite would be considered rather rude on a lake the size of waubay. on large lakes I try to stay at least 50 yds, if I even fish the same structure. Here in Iowa on our smaller 1,000 acre lakes I think 25 yds is ok. 40 ft? maybe on a 2 acre farm pond but not on a large lake where perch and walleye are available in many areas.

Last Feb. on Waubay I finally found a hole where the perch went wild. Being a Minnesota nice type, I didn't say anything when several residents crowded within 30feet of me. The fish were so localized that even they weren't doing as well as me. Finally, one came over and asked, that since I almost had my limit, whether he could use my hole when I was done. I was fishing with my brother-in-law, who is a local there, and he doesn't mind Minnesotans but has no time for Iowegans. Claims they kill every fish they see. I have to admit that I have seen several times when he was right.

Yes, many Iowegians harvest lots of fish. And you don't even see the worst of it out of state..... I mean those who do fish out of state, at least the ones I know, seem less harvest minded.

Part of it is differences in DNR management. For instance, in Iowa, our walleye fishing is managed as a "put and take" fishery. With natural reproduction in very few waters, most fish are stocked, for the purpose of harvesting. A few of our brood lakes, have length and reduced daily limits, but most don't. Many of these lakes are marginal walleye fisheries under the best conditions. Most people, most of the year would have a very difficult time catching a limit and the state wants them to keep the fish they do, if they want to. It is frustrating to see people keeping 5 13-14" fish on some of these lakes when they do get hot. Many of us want tighter harvest restrictions.

Another example is our crappie fishing. We have many 400 - 1000 acre reservoirs across the southern half of the state. These lakes produce huge crappie spawns and year classes becasue of thier large amount of wind protected shorelines. becasue of their shape, a 1,000 acre reservoir may have 15-30 miles of shoreline. A 1,000 acre natural lake likely has only 7-8 miles and maybe only a couple bays offering wind protection for spawning. We have no length or daily harvest limits on crappies. The majority of our anglers are without boats and can really only access the crappies during the spawn and harvesting 100-200 fish per day is not unheard off. Most lakes can sustain this harvest, some can't. But the majority of the anglers, who fish about 6 days per year on average, are happy. Many of these folks buy a license only to fish the 1-2 week crappie spawn on the local lake.

These are just two examples of DNR management that perpetulates the harvest mentality of many of our anglers. Many anglers here strongly endorse site specific regulations for each lake and a management philosphy that provides for better quality recreational fishing on some lakes verses harvest fishing.

And any rate, I hope that more of our anglers visiting other states become more sensitive to those resources and attempt to understand differences in lake enviroments and management goals.

It really comes down to why people fish. Some, like myself, fish becasue I enjoy the act of fishing and catching fish...... harvesting, if it occurs, is just an occasional added benefit. (I brought fish back from SD only twice last year out of 6 trips, 8 walleyes total out of several hundred caught). Others fish to harvest fish. And all states have both types. We need to continue educating those who relish the harvest.

Great post jr712, I think that anglers from any state can benefit from more self discipline when it comes to catch and release. At least it will help the fisheries overall, considering the increase in the number of anglers. It seems we're on the increase anyway.

Great post jr712. After living in Iowa for 5 years I appreciate what you said and it sums up things pretty well. Not a justification for overharvest but an understanding of the mentalily behind it. Thanks again, well said. Scott Steil

fellow fisherman. just returned from waubay webester area fishing trip and just wanted to note that the last several time i have went i have had great times, the bunkhouse is a great place to stay, the people are great and the fishing is even better. i was amazed that mayor mike, the mayor of waubay, who we met at the bar handed us free drink tickets to any bar in the town. heckuva guy.
and a heckuva time. great place to fish!

Was out on Waubay this past weekends. We stayed in Webster. One bit of advice I have is to make sure all your fishing gear is in your hotel room or locked in your truck cab. Don't leave any ice augers or other gear in the back of your truck if you stay at a hotel. A lot of people got robbed blind Sat. night. It happened at like 10:00 too - pretty gutsy.

Yeah, looper, you're right...Mayor Mike is a real live wire. And you can usually find him down at 'The Decoy' bar (...get ducked at the decoy...). And the Rumpza's run a first class operation at the Bunkhouse. I haven't been back that way in a couple of years...you're post brought back some good memories.

First Ice,
If it had line on it...it was in the hotel room thawing out. I had everything locked up tight under the topper! It's too bad that people have to mess with others gear....that's about as low as someone could go!
Which hotel parking lot was that at? The bunkhouse?

[This message has been edited by IceEyes (edited 01-21-2003).]

We were staying at the Super 8 and got called by the police saying there was a lot of people that got robbed in the last couple hours. This was at 11:00. I don't think they ever made it to our hotel, but I'm assuming the Bunkhouse was hit.

How is the fishing out there?

FI