• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bottom Line w/side finder

sonnyb

Question

Guys,Does anyone have any experience with Bottom Line brand fish finders with the "side finder" feature? Has any one used the "side finder" ice fishing or in open water? Any feedback would be helpfull. Thanks

5 answers to this question

I had a Bottom Line Fishing Buddy that would clamp on the side of the boat. The side finder was a feature that I had, but never really trusted. It will tell you something is out there and how far out. You never know what it is and the depth that it is at.

I just bought the bottomline 4300 and have used it for about a month, the sidefinder is a great feature, it locates fish to the side and gives you the exact distance to the fish(up to 120 ft away). When you get close to the bank you have to turn on the Sidefinder filter or it will give false readings but a definate advantage over just seeing fish that you are already on top of.

I use mine mainly to locate suspended schools of baitfish, or bait.

Kinda handy, but you can get dead-spots when the cone hits bottom and the slope is too gradual. Shallow water it has complications, that is the dead spot area.

Handy yup, set-up is very key to getting it to work well. Tinker, and then tinker some more tell you get the feel of it. It will help you find fish, especially baitfish.

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

surfing_pig_small.jpg
Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 05-24-2003).]

I HAVE AN OLDER BOTTOMLINE WITH SIDEFINDER TEMP SPEED AND ALL THE GOOD STUFF RIGHT KNOW ITS NOT WORKING LIKE IT SHOULD I GIVES VERY FALSE READINGS IT SHOWS WE R FISHING WATER 1' DEEP SCREEN WILL BE BLACK IT SAYS WATER TEMP IS ONLY IN THE 40'S WHEN I KNOW IT HAS TO BE WARMER THEN THAT SO I CALLED BOTTOMLINE TALKED TO THEM ON PHONE FOR ALMOST AND HOUR THEY TOLD ME TO MAKE SURE TRANSDUCER WAS EVEN WITH BOTTOM OF BOAT IT WAS SO THEY SAID I CAN SEND IT TO THEM THEY WILL GIVE ME A NEW TRANSDUCER AND REFURBISH IT GO THROUGH THE WHOLE THING FOR 100.00 AND MAKE SURE ITS WORKING LIKE IT SHOULD ETC... SO HAS SOON HAS I CAN GET PAID I AM GONNA SEND IT TO THEM AND IM HOPING ONCE I GET IT BACK IT WILL BE JUST LIKE BRAND NEW IVE HAD IT SINCE 1996 SO IM SURE IT NEEDS TO BE GONE THROUGH IN THE TIMES IVE HAD IT I REALLY LIKE IT AND KNOW THAT I DONT HAVE IT ON I SURE DO MISS IT......

------------------
"If it doesn't have teeth and a white spot on it's tail, I don't want it in my boat"

I have/HAD a Bottom Line Tournament Master SF3 and it JUST burned up on me 3 weeks ago.
Bought it in 1998.

I talked to Chuck Scott(technician) there in Idaho @ Computrol/Bottom Line where they are located and he said to send it in to them and they will replace it for $150 or exchange it for the same amount towards a NEW unit. And the 4300 is the similar unit to my SF3. The only drawback here is that doing a "refurbishing" on the unit I sent in, they only would warranty it for 90 days and the "replacement/exchange" to a New Tournament 4300 (costing the same $150 had a Full 1 yr warranty there. So, A no-brainer decision for sure!
The "up-charge" from $100 to $150 is due to the larger screen on the SF3 unit that I had.

Good Luck, and I am hoping the same when I receive my 4300 model unit. It is due to arrive to me next week. And yes, I do miss it!! wink.gif

"LUND-MAN"

That was the ONLY problem I had, albeit a major problem as it did heat up inside (smelled wiring heating up) which initiated the whole process with me.

They told me the Tournament 4300 is their similar unit. So, I am gonna give this 4300 a try...and hopefully it will work-out.

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"