• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Remote electric jacks worth it?

Moon Lake Refuge

Just upgraded to two 6v batteries and three electric jacks for my dads b-day.  Going to start fabricating new mounts for the electric jacks soon but question is, should I look into remotes for the jacks?  Right now they are switched at the jack so I would probably have to bypass that then run a switchbox in the house.  Plus I figure I need to be able to look at the wheel anyhow to see where the pin sits.  I'm on the fence, sounds fun but at the same time seems like it may be a lot of work for something not that useful.  Also our house will always have at least two people so running from wheel to wheel isnt to much of an issue...

The guy that built my frame talked me out of them. He said the first yr or two there great. Then problems start, he said I would be coming back to him and putting a winch system back on. He said he has taken the electric off lots of frames and put them back to winch system.

With the two speed winch and a cordless drill it is so easy.

After two years cables go too.  Its all about maintenance.  If you case them and keep them lubed up there are plenty of people that have had electric jacks for may years.  Good reason its becoming almost a standard upgrade on many RV's out there.  Will report back, we are pulling the house back from the lake in a couple  weeks so should get a start on it inside of the month.

I have a tandem frame from Miltona and it came with electric jacks. One on each side and one on the tongue.  The switch for them was on the jack itself and a real pain to go in the house and back out to see if the pin was loose. I removed the cover and extended the wiring out the wall to the same existing switch. Installed it in a weatherproof electrical box and cover. It works great. The existing wires were very short, but manageable.

Hopefully I'll like my remote electric jacks for more than 2 years!

I have a 2013 Ice Cabin with the indivually switched jacks and now a 2016 True North with remote control electric jacks. I really like the upgrade.

I run all three down until the hitch raises off the ball, by that time I'm about ready to pull the pins on both wheels.  Do that and raise all three jacks and the house lowers pretty evenly.  Straight up; straight down.  Easy peasey.

The only other system I'd be interested in over the remote electric jacks is a hydraulic system.  I've never seen a house raise or lower so quickly as that. It's a spendy option though.

11 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Hopefully I'll like my remote electric jacks for more than 2 years!

I have a 2013 Ice Cabin with the indivually switched jacks and now a 2016 True North with remote control electric jacks. I really like the upgrade.

I run all three down until the hitch raises off the ball, by that time I'm about ready to pull the pins on both wheels.  Do that and raise all three jacks and the house lowers pretty evenly.  Straight up; straight down.  Easy peasey.

The only other system I'd be interested in over the remote electric jacks is a hydraulic system.  I've never seen a house raise or lower so quickly as that. It's a spendy option though.

If I were to go back it wouldn't even have been a question.  Hydraulic is definitely the answer.