Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Big Dave2

Atv to utv

Anyone here switch from an ATV to a UTV? I have a Kodiak 400 that I have had since about 2002 and usually only use it on trails a few times a year at most. I used to use it to plow snow also but my plow broke and I haven't replaced it. Might use it for ice fishing once in a while too but not very often anymore. 

We now have a friend that has a cabin in the Outing area so we make it up there a little more often to do some riding. My wife has decided she would like to ride but is not very fond of riding on the back of my little Kodiak 400. We were looking hard at either a Polaris or Arctic Cat 2-up ATV but now I started looking more seriously at a side by side. 

I think a side by side would probably do all the things we need it to do. When trail riding with my wife we do not ride hard. She likes to go slow and see the scenery. It would also work well for plowing if I decide to do that and ice fishing, especially if I add a cab and a heater!

Anyone else here make the switch? If so, how do you like it? Would you do it again? 

I'll be keeping the old Kodiak but for the most part it will be for my son to ride.

Edited by Big Dave2

I traded my last ATV for a polaris RZR quite a few years ago and for me it was the best thing to happen. They have more room, let you have a passenger like a car, haul more stuff and for me are just plain better. The dogs can ride along, they are great for ice fishing in the winter and better on the trails.

I bought the RZR because when we visited the inlaws in N Wi it was the only sxs that was legal to ride on all the trails.

In the end I did sell it because there was a time when I wasn't riding it as much. When I started looking again I decided to buy a Jeep Wrangler because it can do pretty much every non trail thing the RZR could plus it was street legal for pretty much the same price. Love the Jeep.

there are pros and cons to both. one thing to consider is how will you haul it? Dave if you are already pulling a camper I bet an atv even a 2 up would fit in the bed of a truck. I dont think a SxS will? If the purchase of a SxS will also require the purchase of a bigger a trailer that may be something to consider also as your looking.

I am not even sure what width some of these new SxS are but are they narrow enough to navigate most trails or entrances?

4 hours ago, rundrave said:

there are pros and cons to both. one thing to consider is how will you haul it? Dave if you are already pulling a camper I bet an atv even a 2 up would fit in the bed of a truck. I dont think a SxS will? If the purchase of a SxS will also require the purchase of a bigger a trailer that may be something to consider also as your looking.

I am not even sure what width some of these new SxS are but are they narrow enough to navigate most trails or entrances?

Yeah, I've already thought about the trailer thing and yes I may have to get a different trailer because a sxs and my current wheeler will not fit on there together. We are probably going to be either buying land or parking our camper up north in the next 2 years so travelling with the camper and the wheelers won't be a problem then. 

They do make 50" wide sxs's that classify as a class 1 ATV but the trails we ride most of the time also allow class 2 ATVs.

23 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

In the end I did sell it because there was a time when I wasn't riding it as much. When I started looking again I decided to buy a Jeep Wrangler because it can do pretty much every non trail thing the RZR could plus it was street legal for pretty much the same price. Love the Jeep.

Have you ever taken the Jeep on any OHV trails up north?

Another reason I am considering a SxS is because they are legal to drive on more roads. With the proper permit I can drive it on city streets where I live and it appears a class 2 can be driven on county and township roads on the shoulder instead of the ditch like a class 1.