• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Atv to utv

Big Dave2

Anyone here switch from an ATV to a UTV? I have a Kodiak 400 that I have had since about 2002 and usually only use it on trails a few times a year at most. I used to use it to plow snow also but my plow broke and I haven't replaced it. Might use it for ice fishing once in a while too but not very often anymore. 

We now have a friend that has a cabin in the Outing area so we make it up there a little more often to do some riding. My wife has decided she would like to ride but is not very fond of riding on the back of my little Kodiak 400. We were looking hard at either a Polaris or Arctic Cat 2-up ATV but now I started looking more seriously at a side by side. 

I think a side by side would probably do all the things we need it to do. When trail riding with my wife we do not ride hard. She likes to go slow and see the scenery. It would also work well for plowing if I decide to do that and ice fishing, especially if I add a cab and a heater!

Anyone else here make the switch? If so, how do you like it? Would you do it again? 

I'll be keeping the old Kodiak but for the most part it will be for my son to ride.

Edited by Big Dave2

I traded my last ATV for a polaris RZR quite a few years ago and for me it was the best thing to happen. They have more room, let you have a passenger like a car, haul more stuff and for me are just plain better. The dogs can ride along, they are great for ice fishing in the winter and better on the trails.

I bought the RZR because when we visited the inlaws in N Wi it was the only sxs that was legal to ride on all the trails.

In the end I did sell it because there was a time when I wasn't riding it as much. When I started looking again I decided to buy a Jeep Wrangler because it can do pretty much every non trail thing the RZR could plus it was street legal for pretty much the same price. Love the Jeep.

there are pros and cons to both. one thing to consider is how will you haul it? Dave if you are already pulling a camper I bet an atv even a 2 up would fit in the bed of a truck. I dont think a SxS will? If the purchase of a SxS will also require the purchase of a bigger a trailer that may be something to consider also as your looking.

I am not even sure what width some of these new SxS are but are they narrow enough to navigate most trails or entrances?

4 hours ago, rundrave said:

there are pros and cons to both. one thing to consider is how will you haul it? Dave if you are already pulling a camper I bet an atv even a 2 up would fit in the bed of a truck. I dont think a SxS will? If the purchase of a SxS will also require the purchase of a bigger a trailer that may be something to consider also as your looking.

I am not even sure what width some of these new SxS are but are they narrow enough to navigate most trails or entrances?

Yeah, I've already thought about the trailer thing and yes I may have to get a different trailer because a sxs and my current wheeler will not fit on there together. We are probably going to be either buying land or parking our camper up north in the next 2 years so travelling with the camper and the wheelers won't be a problem then. 

They do make 50" wide sxs's that classify as a class 1 ATV but the trails we ride most of the time also allow class 2 ATVs.

23 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

In the end I did sell it because there was a time when I wasn't riding it as much. When I started looking again I decided to buy a Jeep Wrangler because it can do pretty much every non trail thing the RZR could plus it was street legal for pretty much the same price. Love the Jeep.

Have you ever taken the Jeep on any OHV trails up north?

Another reason I am considering a SxS is because they are legal to drive on more roads. With the proper permit I can drive it on city streets where I live and it appears a class 2 can be driven on county and township roads on the shoulder instead of the ditch like a class 1.

Looks like the sxs will not be for us. We did a weekend of trail riding up north over labor day and I kept in mind what each section of trail would have been like with a sxs. It probably wouldn't have worked very well.

Looks like we are back to thinking about a 2-up instead. Probably one of these 2:

arctic cat trv.png

polaris 570 touring.jpg

4 hours ago, Hoey said:

The CanAm's are pretty nice too.  One fishing friend has a SxS and my financial adviser has a two up.  Both talk about them a lot.

They are very nice.....and expensive to Only a guy like @smurfy would give his money to the Canucks! :D

15 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

They are very nice.....and expensive to Only a guy like @smurfy would give his money to the Canucks! :D

Dave, maybe iffin ya didnt have to buy so many replacement parts for that camper you could get a CanAm. at least ya wouldnt need parts for that!!!!!!!:grin:

15 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Dave, maybe iffin ya didnt have to buy so many replacement parts for that camper you could get a CanAm. at least ya wouldnt need parts for that!!!!!!!:grin:

You mean take money out of the hands of hard working American workers? Nah, wouldn't dream of it. :D

35 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Dave too  will.

huh.jpg

Nope, maybe next year. My wife won't be riding with me anymore this year anyway. I like the Arctic Cat because they have an XT model that's a little longer but the Polaris is a better price. The Canadian machine isn't even in the running at this point. :)

Myself and most of my buddies won't touch a Polaris unless your a fan of fixing your machine all the time. Razor seems to be the only good one. I know I'll hear a bunch of dump over this comment but you couldn't give me one for free.

2 hours ago, PRO-V said:

Myself and most of my buddies won't touch a Polaris unless your a fan of fixing your machine all the time. Razor seems to be the only good one. I know I'll hear a bunch of dump over this comment but you couldn't give me one for free.

No argument from me and having owned a RZR I can guarantee they are no more reliable than the rest of their lineup

The Kawasaki and Yamaha quads I have had as well as Honda and Can Ams that people I know have had rarely if ever needed repairs but with Polaris it's a given you will know the service dept by name.

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Yes if you like RZR whiner roasts.  Check out the Tube and you will see plenty of burning Polaris!  ;)

The worst is the intake design. They put the air filter and intake right in front of the driver's side rear tire where it gets the most dust possible plus takes on water too easy.

I bought an aftermarket intake that went between the seats and was higher like a snorkel which took care of that but it was $350 and should have been that way stock. Lots of $4k invoices for new motors because they sucked in dirt.

The gas pedal sucked as well but that was an early model and they may have fixed that.