• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Ice Skid Build

Dive_Guru

Hi Guys,

New to the forum. I am starting a ice hut build and wanted some advice. I am building an aluminum ice skid 6.5'x8' which is going to be used on fishing trips into lakes around Northern Alberta. I have a VK Professional 1000 to pull it down the trails into lakes, so plenty of pull power. It's going to be moved a fair amount, spending maybe 3-5 days on a lake at any one time.

Walls are going to be 1" (.125) tubing  

Floor trusses are 3"x1.5" (.13) channel 24" on center

Skis are 8"x4" (.25) Tubing with both ends angled into tips. It will have a 3rd ski in the front on a V-nose. HDPE on the skis.

Enclosed in .040 aluminum sheeting

TIG welded frame

My initial concern is that the 4" clearance on the skis might not be enough. Does anyone have experience with this much clearance on a skid? Is it possible to put a groomer between the snowmobile and the skid to help prevent it from plowing. I am open to other ideas for skis. I've looked at some other ideas and may change this part of the design. Is tubing better than using channel for the trusses?

I'm unsure of height yet as I plan on putting a bunk in it for sleeping two. I was thinking of making it 6'4" with a bowed roof. Any advice is appreciated with potential problems you might see.

Sounds similar to the house I built but I'm way lower.

My skids are only 3" high with 2" floor so the house is only 1" off the ice.

I put lined the bottom of the house with UHMW so the whole house glides on top of the snow.

My hitch is also covered in UHMW to prevent plowing

I'll see of I can post a link