• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2017 Hunting Regs?

2 hours ago, BRULEDRIFTER said:

When the heck do they issue them? Seems to be getting late. I'd like to know what kind of slaughterhouse Zone 1 will be, or if they are going to play it smart and continue being a bit conservative 

On June 30 I sent the dnr an email this is their response, "Hello Rob,
The hunting regs will be out the last week in July"

It's set up a little differently this year.  Click on interactive map, then your hunting area and it will give you details.

In general most of central Minnesota amd north is hunters choice.  The east central area is 2 deer again.  Intensive is now 3 deer, not 5.  

37 minutes ago, certified jumbo said:

It's set up a little differently this year.  Click on interactive map, then your hunting area and it will give you details.

In general most of central Minnesota amd north is hunters choice.  The east central area is 2 deer again.  Intensive is now 3 deer, not 5.  

Found it! Do you know when the booklet will be available online? That's what I'm most interested in.

Does anyone know in a lottery area, do youth and archery hunters still get the free antlerless??  

If the above answer is yes, do archery hunters have to tag the doe with their main archery tag?  There for, you couldn't harvest a buck with the bow in another area??  

Its been 4 years since I've dealt with these questions.  Need a refresher.....thanks

1 hour ago, certified jumbo said:

Does anyone know in a lottery area, do youth and archery hunters still get the free antlerless??  

If the above answer is yes, do archery hunters have to tag the doe with their main archery tag?  There for, you couldn't harvest a buck with the bow in another area??  

Its been 4 years since I've dealt with these questions.  Need a refresher.....thanks

That is how zone 2 works. Youth can harvest any sex with their tag but they get only one. 

I suppose intensive harvest and other areas allow more than one. 

On 7/29/2017 at 0:01 PM, certified jumbo said:

No. It's all based on the limit for the respective zone.  If you bow hunt in a lotto zone, you can tag 1 deer.  Your bow tag is either sex, and your firearms tag is buck only (unless you are drawn in the lottery).  

So if you stick a doe with your bow in a lotto zone, you tag it with your main tag and the only additional deer you can get is traveling to a management zone and buy bonus tags for does.  Your main tag/buck tag is dead. 

Edited by BRULEDRIFTER

The regulation book is now up!

really stunned at the deer feeding ban area. south cass, crow wing, aitkin, morrison, Stearns and more ate now included!  

plus this ban, in the far SE, includes the use of "doe in heat" type scents!

Edited by ANYFISH2

On 7/31/2017 at 8:36 AM, BRULEDRIFTER said:

But I THINK, if you get a firearms tag and hunt in a management/intensive zone, you can tag a buck with that tag. I think....

That's the reply I received from the dnr today.

Date: Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 10:17 AM
Subject: RE: deer tag question

Good Morning 

Thank you for contacting the Minnesota DNR.

Yes, you can take the doe with your primary archery tag in the hunters choice area. Once you take from a hunters choice area you cannot tag any more deer in a hunters choice, lottery or bucks only area.

You than can take deer with your firearm or muzzle loader in a managed or intensive harvest areas. In the managed area you could take two deer. Here are a few examples: You could take one deer off your primary firearms license and then during the muzzle loader season take a second deer from the managed area using your primary muzzle loader tag. Or you take a deer with your primary firearms license than purchase a bonus tag(which s doe only) and take the second deer in that area with the firearm bonus tag. Two deer from a managed area.

Please feel free to contact us if you have further questions either by email or by calling 888-646-6367 M-F 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and on Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Have a great day,

To: MN_Info (DNR) <[email protected]>
Subject: deer tag question

Hi, I hunt several areas/seasons and want to know if I can shoot a doe with my primary archery tag in zone 273 (hunter's choice) but still tag a buck (or doe) in zone 240 (managed) with my firearm or muzzleloader main tag.

Not sure if tagging a doe with my primary archery tag stops me from taking a buck with my gun/muzzy tag.

Thanks

Thanks for sharing that, I clearly understand what the law is.

I'm not fan of only one part of the law.  Which is if you shoot your doe in a hunters choice area, you lose your buck tag with that weapon in other areas.  You are allowed 1 buck in mn, shouldn't matter which weapon you use.

What ever happened to the All-Season tag? I didn't bow hunt back when that was around, but if I remember right, people didn't like it or something?  I think our licenses need to be restructured back to an All-Season format option.  It's ridiculous that folks need to spend $90 to participate in all 3 hunting season if they choose, for 1 stinking deer.  You should only need to buy 1 tag to tag 1 deer, regardless of the weapon.  That's how bonus tags work.  

Yea.  It's kind of bush league.   Managed which is 5 miles from me can shoot 2 does for $15 each.  I can shoot 1 doe with my bow for $30 and I lose my buck tag statewide with a bow.  So I'm forced to buy a muzzy or gun tag for another $30 to harvest my buck in a different zone.    So i have to pay $60 for two deer and the guy a few miles away can shoot 2 for 30$ if there both does.

Edited by certified jumbo