• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jiffy Jet Auger

Agronomist_at_IA

They were on right. Just rusted up. I took a sander and cleaned up the blades and auger touched up the flighting with some rustolem gloss black. 

What I'm trying to figure out is if the blade mout on this jiffy jet is bent or normal. I'm thinking they are fine/correct. They look like they should be a flat blade, but are curved slightly......It looks like a hybrid between a shaver blade & a lazer blade. 

Once I cleaned up the blade I turned them on a sheet of plastic and it cut in well. Guess I'll have to wait until ice to see. 

On July 22, 2017 at 9:03 PM, Agronomist_at_IA said:

They were on right. Just rusted up. I took a sander and cleaned up the blades and auger touched up the flighting with some rustolem gloss black. 

What I'm trying to figure out is if the blade mout on this jiffy jet is bent or normal. I'm thinking they are fine/correct. They look like they should be a flat blade, but are curved slightly......It looks like a hybrid between a shaver blade & a lazer blade. 

Once I cleaned up the blade I turned them on a sheet of plastic and it cut in well. Guess I'll have to wait until ice to see. 

Well after inspecting, I'm really starting to lean that the blade mounts are bent. I can't find any pictures or anything......so I'm not sure. If these just take a normal shaver blade.....then they gotta be bent.....Anyone have any insite?

Omigod...in all my years of work on augers/sharpening, THAT'S the first I've ever seen one  like that. I'm not even going there.

Here's what replacement blades look like for the jet....

jiffy.jpg

Before you make fun of guys Stuff being bent. Check out the picture on this link if it works. It sounds like they are a bit of a rare hand auger. ;)

Jiffy® Hand Drill 6" Replacement Blades - 59219, Ice Augers at ...

https://www.sportsmansguide.com › Fishing › Ice Fishing › Ice Augers

Drill more holes with less effort! Jiffy® JetTM Hand Ice Drill... VALUE PRICE ! The easiest, most effective hand ice drill on the market! The flanged handgrips ..

Edited by leech~~

No ones making fun leech. Just made a statement. I've never seen one like that before. I've seen the hand ones curved, but not the powered one. Guess it could be like the hand one. I could be wrong. Be interested to see if they sold one like that, or someone put a power head on it. I'll let you take over now.

7 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Before you make fun of guys Stuff being bent. Check out the picture on this link if it works. It sounds like they are a bit of a rare hand auger. ;)

Jiffy® Hand Drill 6" Replacement Blades - 59219, Ice Augers at ...

Drill more holes with less effort! Jiffy® JetTM Hand Ice Drill... VALUE PRICE ! The easiest, most effective hand ice drill on the market! The flanged handgrips ..

Thats the thing, I can't find really any good pictures of one. I was given this auger a few days ago buy a guy who didn't use or want it.  He only used it once when he forgot his power auger. There is a string with a price tag on it for $89. It was sitting in his machine shed in a corner collecting dust.

I cleaned up the auger and touched it up. There was a slight ding in the auger flighting up a turn or two from the bottom. That I fixed. However,  the mounting head for the blades didn't have any of the original powder paint damaged, none had flaked off, and there was no rust spots. The blades where rusted up but not damaged. I assume if they were bent the powder paint would have expanded & flaked off. The two blade angles seem to look like they are how they should be. So I'm really kinda leaning that the blade mounts might not be bent with the way it looks. 

If I look at the shaver blades from the top or bottom they look like a normal shaver blade. However, when looked at from the side they seem to have a very slight curve that matches the blade mount. Did jiffy have a design like this different from the others? So I'm confused.......what would be the odds of both the blade mount sides being bent to what looks like exact angles.......if they were bent what is the odds of both blades seeming to conform to the bends without cracking or breaking........I measured from one outside blade edge to the other and got 8in......but I know 8in augers can go from a range of 7.5in-8.5in depending on brand and other things......If the blade mounts were bent I would think some powder paint would have flaked off.......I'll do the ice bucket trick.....was hoping someone had one or could chime in. It looks a little like a design between a flat shaver and a curved blade if it's not bent......I do really like the design if that is what it is meant to be. I also love the blade cover being a rubber that is tight and doesn't fall off. I just really don't know if they are bent or not bent. Confusing.....Also wondering if flat shaver blades would work on it or if I would need to find a set of Jiffy blades that had a slight curve to them.....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Agronomist_at_IA

12 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

The curved blades may very well be the "Jet" part that made it different from their other hand augers?

That is what I'm wondering.......I found some 8in "jiffy" blades on the bay of e. However it doesn't say anything about them being jet blades and couldn't tell on the pictures if it looked like a slight curve in them..........they were in the package so a decent side view was about impossible. Somebody has to have had one...

3 minutes ago, Agronomist_at_IA said:

That is what I'm wondering.......I found some 8in "jiffy" blades on the bay of e. However it doesn't say anything about them being jet blades and couldn't tell on the pictures if it looked like a slight curve in them..........they were in the package so a decent side view was about impossible. Somebody has to have had one...

If nothing else bring the old ones in closer to ice time so they don't rust up again and have one of the bait store guys send them in to their blade sharpener exchange guys.

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

If nothing else bring the old ones in closer to ice time so they don't rust up again and have one of the bait store guys send them in to their blade sharpener exchange guys.

I took the blades back off then buffed them clean with a dremel, oiled them, and touched them up with a lazer hand sharpener.  Not sure if a guy can exchange since they aren't flat.

Added some pics so you can see the curve in them. I think they must be a "jet" blade.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Frick........the blades came......they were flat. Called Jiffy, and they said I need the 1893-t blade which is the (blade with the concave) jet blade. she looked. They had one set of 8in left, and she wanted $40 for it plus shipping. I just laughed and asked if she was serious......which she was. I said at that price I would have to pass and could get a new auger on Amazon for that price. I couldn't see spending that on a set of blades. So I sent the original jet blades to Fish307 to get sharpened. Then I used the bolts to pull a set of the flat shaver blades onto the jet blade mount head. The blades did shape to the concave on the auger mount when the bolts pulled the blade in. I only broke two bolts/nuts, so I'm gonna see how it cuts. Figured if it doesn't work I can always order the set from Jiffy later.