• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter fishhouse

Billy G

I was looking to get an otter XT pro cabin this winter, I was wondering of anyone on here has an otter in the pro platform and how they like the extra insulated walls. Does it seem bulky? Too warm on above 0 days? I wouldn't mind just the normal cabin but they only offer it with a bench it seems but having the extra insulation may be nice to have for those cold days here and there. 

Its a great house. Yep its heavy, yep the cover is bulky compared to a single layer, yep I'd buy it again. You can always pull down a zipper or 2 (front and back doors) if you get hot. For what its worth I switched from a Clam Yukon TC (normal sides with a insulated top) both are a similar size. On below zero days in the clam I would have to use a big buddy. In the otter I use a buddy and rarely turn it on high.

Thanks for the reply, sounds about like what I expected and I really like the square tubing on the otters compared to clams round cheaper setup. Anyone seen any changes to the new otter lineup for this year? 

I have had 3 of the otter pro xt's, a cabin, lodge and resort. I still have the resort and recently purchased the cabin. I have not had many different brand portables but have fished in other brands buddies have. They are the nicest portables I have personally owned and until I try something I like more I wouldn't change from them at all. The resort is heavy and not something I like dragging far by hand especially loaded with gear and much snow on the lakes. But it has tons of room and I have fished 4 people in it before, a little tight but doable. The cabin I purchased for more hand pulling and an extra for if I have people along. They are very warm and I have fished in them down to -30 deg F. A regular buddy heater keeps them plenty warm, if it isn't to cold or the house is banked well its easily t-shirt weather inside. The resort needs a big buddy heater for colder days sometimes due to the larger size but isn't terrible with a regular. Overall very happy with them all and have been very durable. Also no dripping of water from the ceiling.

Highly recommend a set of hyfax for the bottom. I had over 1000 miles pulling my old lodge and they hyfax held up great but I always pulled on snow and not across asphalt much at all.

Changes I have made to them:

- added a battery box and inside LEDs 

- used stainless screws on the band that hods the fabric to the tub only because I don't like the look of the rusted screws.  

If you think you'll be purchasing one I would recommend stopping at a Gander Mountain if you have one near by and getting a set of hyfax since they are going out of business there is a good amount of ice gear. I found hyfax recently there for $15 a set.

Edited by AAmerican

Sounds perfect, thinking your guys reviews will seal the deal for me once I can see one in person again, a hyfax kit will also be on my list as I plan on pulling it behind my sportsman 570. Thanks for the review also AAmerican, it's early to be thinking ice fishing but I'm sure there's people out there like us that are a little anxious!

Still on the fence between going with the cabin or lodge, my dad has a normal lodge and it has tons of room which is great but it also is somewhat heavy for 1 guy to load and pull it seems. I mostly fish with just 1 other person and maby 25% of the time by myself so that was why I was leaning to the cabin which also seemed to have plenty of room for 2 it seemed to me. Also from what I understand the cabin will fit in chevy crew cab box and the lodge won't? I have a 04 crew cab short box so one more incentive for the cabin if thats true.

If you planning on doing any hand pulling at all then do not get the lodge she is a tank and would not fit in a short box. As long as your not 300+ lbs you'll be perfectly comfortable with 2 adults in the cabin. Also a cheap alternative to Hifax are a set of old downhill skis (normally $7-15 @ goodwill) I pull mine across parking lots all the time behind the wheeler and they hold up really well. An added bonus is if you cut them off at the end of the sled then they work great for loading and unloading the shack from your pickup box by yourself because the steel sides dig into the ground a bit keeping the bottom from sliding out.

I agree about the lodge. After gear and any snow it can become a heavy pull. The lodge fit in my 1500 chevy silverado (6.5 ft box) as long a you put the flat end of the tub to the front and when closing the tailgate you had to pick up the end of the sled just a little for the gate to close. 

I wired in some LEDs into the top cross bar and inside the tub. Put a switch box on the side or switches on the tub rail. First 4 images are what I had in my Lodge, 1 over head white light LED and multiple red in tub LEDs lights. Switches mounted on the tub edge and a battery box that I connected alligator clamps to for power.

Otter4.jpg.2b9ff855355e7b7e09db1684d3525092.jpg

20160123_180612.thumb.jpg.0c37413b97616d4592478586fcae7dbe.jpg

20160123_181840.thumb.jpg.40c53c09762e8b603445b8c9e1b92233.jpg20160123_182002.thumb.jpg.5860e6cc8666e25e7d89282327b67f86.jpg

In the Resort I had a similar setup but changed to white lights up top and in the tub because I didn't like how dim the red was for finding things. 2 white LEDs above running off a dimmer switch and a better box to contain the switch connections, on top you see switches and dimmer knob. 

Video of dimmer on upper lights with spot lens in, changed to flood lens and tosses light much better:

20161009_130035.mp4 

20161009_125533.thumb.jpg.044120f613653ee11adaa7708506b5c9.jpg

20161009_130023.thumb.jpg.7b0433a9453108deee294f262282e2a5.jpg

Edited by AAmerican

That's a really cool set up, not sure I will be doing that much but was thinking about running 2 led strips across the top rails wired down into the sled to a 12 volt vexlair battery. But seeing your set up makes me wanna maby run something inside the tub to.

20 hours ago, Jennifer Dewitt said:

put the fish in proper fish bags the 1`s u get from a fish shop (to bring fish home)put water in the bag with the fish then overlap it on the fish tank so they will still have room to move around and that way the water wont splash everywhere and they will still have their oxygen too that they need hope this helps u out and good luck on your move

any one check out the site "she" has there????

Looking around some tonight and the main page (1st link) shows $200 off the Cabin Pro XT. Open 2nd link for the Cabin and shows full price so maybe changes in the cart or have to call and check.

Capra's Outdoors:

https://caprasoutdoors.com/ice-fishing/icefishing-shelters-sleds/icefishing-shelters-sleds-otter.html

https://caprasoutdoors.com/ice-fishing/icefishing-shelters-sleds/icefishing-shelters-sleds-otter/otter-xt-pro-cabin-package-2-person.html

On 8/16/2017 at 5:19 PM, Billy G said:

Will do, being my topic is receiving some attention again if any of you guys see a sale on otter fish houses please let me know, thanks.

Not sure if you got a house yet or are on face book but Dan Murphy has an add going for new otter flip overs for good deals. He posted in the ice fishing fanatics group.

Don't know if anybody has seen these yet but I just found them for sale at cabelas, otter just posted them on their other page to, they retail at 50$, I had a 20$ off coupon for cabelas so I got them for about 30$. They cone with 2 600 lumen strips for a total of 1200 lumens. They also have wired in dimmer switch that seems to work well, the lights have 2 plug ins on them so if a guy wanted to you could get additional lights. 

1507483281546805652107.jpg