• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Collecting near bait

If a guy doesn't mind driving a bit, finding free bait can be easy by getting out of bear country.  When I had a tag 5-6 years ago, I got 100 gallons of used grease for free from a dairy queen in Grand Forks.  I also got to know and got in good with the local bread store and most of the time I was first in line to get the stale/expired breads and pastries.  

When I asked the dairy queen about the grease, they looked at me like I was crazy!

At lucky 7 they had some cheap buckets of cherry slurry. I thought what the heck. I have a bag of instant oatmeal and bulk sugar from last year. I mixed some together and it makes a nice sweet paste. The wife walked into the garage and said that smells like a tasty treat. I hope the bears think the same when baiting starts!

I've done it both ways.  Get your own or go to lucky 7 bait.  Both are good ways.  Last year though I went to lucky 7, dropped $100 and was done collecting bait in 5 mins.  Didn't have to worry about mold, freezing stuff, driving around on Tuesday and Friday when they trash the bread, etc.   I save all my oil from fish frys.  Pretty slick....

Edited by certified jumbo

We raided the candy factory in town when it closed.  Ended up with like a dozen barrels of gummy bears, not to mention barrels of flavoring and other ingredients.  Pretty set for the sweet stuff for a while!

We dropped off a 55gal drum of gummy worms, bunch of boxes of circus peanuts, granola, cookie dough, and strawberry glaze.  The guy who baits for us has been seeing a ton of bears, and no one else in the surrounding area seems to have gotten a permit.