• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2017 Gardens

Duffman

Our peppers are doing well also as are the tomatoes. The deer ravaged the beets, green beans and peas. I call them garden rats but I've thus far resisted the temptation of blasting them to smithereens. Every direction you look around here all you see is green and those pesky varmints have to attack our garden. :mad:

1 hour ago, Duffman said:

Well?

How are the gardens looking so far?

My peppers are off to a nice start.

20170705_175728.jpg

What all yea got? Looks like the jalapenos are doing well.

My wife keeps telling me I better throw a bunny fence up. I'm banking on them not eating Ghost peppers, Carolina Reapers and Trinidad Scorpions. :eek:

A couple jalapenos, a "Mucho Nacho", ghost and habanero, long yellow pepper and a bunch of bell peppers......red, orange, yellow, purple and green.  Three tomater pants and some onions.

Small garden, but it makes it easy to work with and keep weed free. Had plastic netting up to keep the deer out, but the bunnies decided to chew through it on the lower level and mess with things. So put up metal bunny fence this year. Hoping that the coyote I've seen around lately is thinning them out.

Edited by Duffman

Only peppers, tomatoes and summer squash in my veggie garden this year. Got a big pumpkin patch out by the road outside of my tree line. Nothing fruiting yet, but it's all looking good for as cold of June as we had up here. 

Ornamentals are really looking good this year and I'm doing a ton more containers than in the past. I have some costa I can hide behind. Been adding a ton of antiques to the garden to the point that Mrs. Peatmoss has declared a moratorium until I get our deck resurfaced and rail up.

Someday, I'll get a little more savvy and post some pics.

I do have hobbies other than antagonizing religious folks:D

4 minutes ago, PEATMOSS said:

Only peppers, tomatoes and summer squash in my veggie garden this year. Got a big pumpkin patch out by the road outside of my tree line. Nothing fruiting yet, but it's all looking good for as cold of June as we had up here. 

Ornamentals are really looking good this year and I'm doing a ton more containers than in the past. I have some costa I can hide behind. Been adding a ton of antiques to the garden to the point that Mrs. Peatmoss has declared a moratorium until I get our deck resurfaced and rail up.

Someday, I'll get a little more savvy and post some pics.

I do have hobbies other than antagonizing religious folks:D

Well praise the Lord! :lol:

Mine was doing pretty well until this week, a couple nights of strong storms have most of my sunflowers/corn now at 45 degree angles:) Pumpkins, cucs, tomatoes are looking great. The cooler June had them kind of growing slow, but the last few days of hot weather has them taking off again.....

On 7/13/2017 at 1:56 PM, Big-Al said:

Garlic, peas, tomatoes, onions, beats, are doing quite well.  Beans, corn, cabbage are OK.  Broccoli and vine crops poor.

I forgot to mention the carrots.  I have likely the best crop of carrots that I have ever had.  I don't think I have ever harvested carrots this large this early before.  

2 hours ago, smurfy said:

3 qts pickled green beans!

IMG_20170806_134301059.jpg

Nice but what's with the rusty bands?  Grandma's lucky ones?  :lol:

Save big money! ;)

Ball® Regular Mouth Lids and Bands - 12 pack

Model Number: 30000  |  Menards® SKU: 6443205

EVERYDAY LOW PRICE $3.45

11% MAIL-IN REBATE $0.38  Valid Until 8/12/17

Edited by leech~~

3 hours ago, smurfy said:

there reuseable. they dont touch the food. when there shot i toss them.

besides i'm on a union budget!!!!!!!!!!:cry::grin:

When their shot? The middle one already looks like you have been using a channel locks to get it off!  :lol:

16 hours ago, smurfy said:

My project yesterday while it was raining.shoukd be the end of any major canning projects!

IMG_20170827_105822224_HDR.jpg

And all rims FDA approved!:P:D

Ya know. If you started saving now. May be you could afford the $24 bucks to buy some "not rusty" channel lock dented new bands by next fall canning season!  Then you may win a ribbon at the county fair sometime! :P

images.jpg

"Then you may win a ribbon at the county fair sometime!"

True, but I don't think Glenn would look good in that hat and top. ;)

I thought rusty, dented, tops were dangerous to use, because they don't seal well? Ya don't wanna get botulism resulting in gangbangarrhea of the lower blowhole! puke