• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New grass

I have a 30x20 foot section that I have raked down to black dirt now.  Mildly sunny but will get a good amount of shade.  I'm looking to rake it one more time then fertilize and lay grass seed.  Question is should I use a lawn blanket for it?  not much slope, gutters from the garage will wash out one corner so I think I'll redirect that until it grows in.  Any other tips/ tricks?  City has a water ban right now but I couldn't take the dog's and kids tracking the mud in anymore so they gave me a watering permit for new grass.  I don't think it should take to much water as it is pretty shady there so I'm going to keep the watering as sparse as I can.  As FYI- I'm not looking to send out any soil samples more just curious about the use of a blanket and if anyone has had good luck with them.

Thanks,

Edited by Moon Lake Refuge

I would give some thought to getting a starter fertilizer from a local feed mill.  It has a bit of phosphorus in it and that helps that new grass put down some roots.    I would also consider adding some oats to the seed.  They grow fast and help stabilize the area and provide a bit of shade for the new grass.  It is an annual and once you cut the grass the oats will go away.  Finally I would ask the feed mill folks if they have some straw that you can light distribute over the area.  That provides shade and helps keep the area from drying out.   It isn't regular straw because that has too many weed seeds in it.  I can't remember what they call it at my feed mill.

This should get you going as long as you don't have a huge deluge of rain.  If that happens you just have to start again in the areas that didn't make it.

A grass seed with annual rye grass will also act as a nurse crop for the real thing.  

Real straw is from oats and doesn't have weeds.   Don't make the mistake I did and get hay by accident.   Marsh hay is also a possibility. 

If you go with the straw thing the idea is to spread it out very thin, not like a blanket.  You should be able to see soil in a lot of the areas.  Think of it as a light shade thing, not a roof over the seed. 

Sure glad you guys aren't doing my yard!  :grin:  Select the seed mix you want, used up here are cool season cultivars, Kentucky blues with a mix of red or fine fescues and ryegrass. The main goal is to keep seed moist and warm to sprout. You lay black plastic sheeting over it after watering. Contracter roll of 4ml is cheap. $25.  Push 16D nails thru plastic edges to hold it down about every 3'. Sun heats the plastic and ground in turn; and forms moisture underneath it, helping seed to germinate. Check every 2- 3 days; after 6-8 days you should have seed sprouting. Take plastic off at this point, as the heat will kill the seedlings. This is where they will really benefit and take off with all available light and no covering. Water lightly daily, not letting any seedlings dry out. Continue to water daily for 2 weeks, or at least until seedlings are 1" high. Other trick is to soak seed in water until "fuzzy", changing water daily, then distribute and carefully rake topsoil over.  Learned this many years ago from the groundskeeper for the KC Chiefs.

i've never done the plastic thing. but i've taken Reb's advice on planting grass, in particular filling in spots and its turned out great. so this is going to really hurt to say this, :grin::grin: but Reb really knows what he's talking about when it comes to his lawn. i've also seen pictures.