• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Air Fryer?

I have a 3.2 L Cooks Essentials digital that I bought first. Not big enough. So I bought a 5.2L manual Bella. You definetly want to get a bigger one. As for manual or not.....less to go wrong with a manual. My Bella holds more food than the smaller one and works great. I use the Cook's Essentials only when I have 2 things to make. Plus the manual costs less. The Bella sells for about  $75. Digitals will sell for over $100. Four other members of my family now also have  them.

Edited by KEN W

I purchased one for my wife for Christmas from Amazon called GoWise. We'll see how it works. 

I wanted the one with a larger capacity but they were out of stock when I ordered and I didn't want to take a chance of not getting it in time.

go wise air fryer.jpg

I have been enjoying the new air fryer but not tonight. Tried cooking up some northern pike tonight and I will be oil frying it from here on. Dipped it in egg and dredged it in a dry batter. It kind of got crisp but not in a good way. 

Has anyone had good results? I would think frozen pre battered fish would be ok.

Late to the party, here, but we got one a few months ago (NuWave 36001 Brio) at the boss lady's insistence. I was 100% convinced we'd use it twice, then put it in storage for three years before selling it for $5 at a garage sale, but I was very, very wrong! It's a cooking appliance staple now that never leaves the counter top. With a two year old boy, it is a life saver for quick, easy meals like nuggets, fries, tots, and corn dogs. Chicken comes out great. All frozen appetizers are excellent, and it's half the time of the oven. We got it late fall, but not cranking on the oven in July will be nice.

The big test for me was fish. I did a side-by-side test--panko crusted deep fried vs panko crusted with a spritz of olive oil air fried.

For me, the deep fried is a 9/10. The air fried, crazy as it sounds, was a solid 8/10. It really does turn out pretty darn good! The old lady said she noticed no difference whatsoever, but she was still bragging about how good of an investment it was, so I deducted one point from here score which now reflects my own. :lol:

I suggest lining the tray with foil regardless of what you cook. Lesson learned was bacon wrapped venison bites. Came out great, but cleaning that without foil was not fun...

Bottom line, it's been a great little unit that has seen nearly daily use!

The one thing I would look for in an air fryer after having two different ones is to pick one that can get up to 400 degrees. Both that I have are limited to 350 and IMHO that is too low to get things as crisp as a conventional fryer and I think the extra 50 degrees could be a difference maker. I see there are several models now that can reach that temp.

On 1/14/2018 at 1:03 PM, PurpleFloyd said:

The one thing I would look for in an air fryer after having two different ones is to pick one that can get up to 400 degrees. Both that I have are limited to 350 and IMHO that is too low to get things as crisp as a conventional fryer and I think the extra 50 degrees could be a difference maker. I see there are several models now that can reach that temp.

The default temp is 360 for the NuWave 36001 Brio I mentioned above, but it can be programmed as high as 390. I absolutely agree that it does make a difference for certain things to get those extra 30-40 degrees.

Edited by pikestabber

I like mine I have the nuwave basket style one bot the round one like posted.

I like it for making home made sweet potato fries fast and what not. Chicken breast also cooks fast baked potato ect

I had to look up this thread before making our purchase.  I saw the NuWave. Power Air Fryer and a Farberware.  We went with the Farberware cuz it was the cheapest for experimenting.  

Got it on 400 for 25 minutes now to burn off the manufacturing residues.  Looking forward to getting some chicken wings rubbed down and tossed in that baby!

I bought the NuWave 6 qt brio a week ago. So far have used it to make onion rings and asparagus. It worked flawlessly for both. Frozen onion rings took 15 minutes at 400 degrees. The asparagus took 10 minutes at 375 degrees. I preheated the unit each time. 

It really seemed to seal the flavor in with the asparagus. Could not believe how good it was for store bought.