• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auger problems

Havin' Fun

Question

I can't get my auger to start. It won't even fire. Any ideas? I've changed to a new plug, but other than not getting a spark which I haven't checked but now how, what else can I check??
Iced up
Carb gum up?

It ran great 4 days ago!

If the carb is dirty, how do I clean it out??

10 answers to this question

I would recommend breaking it down into the three main things the little motor needs to run: 1)spark, 2)fuel, and 3)air. I would recommend checking them in that order. For spark you can ground the threads of the plug against a metal piece on the auger, turn the switch to on, and pull it a couple times. You should be able to see a strong spark jump that gap on the plug. For fuel (if you are getting spark) you could put a few drops down in the cylinder (when the plug is pulled) and it should run till that fuel is burnt up if you are getting spark. For air I would run it for a short period of time without the air filter off and see if perhaps that is blocking flow somehow.

This has worked for me in the past for what I have checked on small engines. If you are not comfortable doing this take it in to a authorized repair shop. Also ask yourself what happened between the time it was working and now. Did you loan it to someone? Did it get set down funny and maybe the boot came off the spark plug? Was it in super cold conditions and perhaps the fuel had some water in it and froze? (maybe bring it in a warm envirnment for 3-4 hrs and let it warm up). Just some thoughts....

chow

Here is another scenario. I can get my Auger started (Eskimo), it idles fine, responds to the choke, but when the drilling begins, it seems to lose power and dies when I hit the throttle. It starts right back up fine, dies out when I give it the gas. Is this operator error or do I have a problem with the auger?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Classic symptom of being gas-starved, which could happen a number of ways.

Sounds like you've got a fuel blockage somewhere, that you're getting enough fuel to idle it but not enough to rev it up under a load.

Doubt it has a fuel filter, but you should empty the tank and make sure nothing is plugging where the line goes out of the tank. Remove the fuel line and make sure it's completely clear, and make sure the entry from the fuel line to the carb area is clear.

Might also be gum in the jets, which you can cure, usually, with a little carb cleaner in the gas. I run premium gas all the time, partly for the higher octane, but partly also because the detergents keep the fuel system cleaner than regular unleaded.

Might also be a poorly adjusted high-idle mixture screw, but that puts me at the end of my limited knowledge of small engine fuel repairs.

Anyone else?

In addition to what has been suggested I would also say perhaps air starved. I would remove the little air cleaner filter and run it for a second and see if it runs better, worse, or no difference. From there you will either rule out or confirm the air starved idea. Should be a quick check to do...

chow

Thanks fella's...DUH (I just kicked myself in the head) I have a fuel leak where the line comes out of the gas tank. It looks like the line has some kind of filter/regulator just inside the tank, seems to leak from there. Thanks again Chow and Catfish, I owe you a beer!!

First thing to always check on a small engine is the spark. Once this is eliminated there are some simple ways of troubleshooting that I like to use.

A quick and common way to detirmine if the high speed jets are plugged or if it's an adjustment screw too lean is if it runs better after fully warmed up at high speed at partial or full choke levels.

The auger SHOULD run and idle at 1/3-1/2 choke level yet after being warmed up. If the auger stalls at 1/3 choke then it's time to start looking at air intake and exhaust problems like most here have suggested.

Just some quick ways of trouble shooting I use without tearing things apart right away.

smile.gif

Good luck on the water! smile.gif

----------------------------------
Fish On! WHOA Bessy! cool.gif

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 03-15-2003).]

I had to replace the diaphram on my jiffy model 30 this winter. Before I fixed it, the symptoms were similar. Would idle (rough) and definately couldn't handle any load/throttle. Just in case you are out of ideas. On the jiffy, it was a $3 diaphram, many holes later, runs like new.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"