• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MN paddling destination

I got some guys up in the twin cities that want to meet up and do some kayaking, camping and fishing. Can anyone offer any suggestions that would be somewhere in between Sioux Falls where I am located and the guys coming from MNPLS area?

I would say just having a place to paddle for the day would be more important than say quality of fishing. If we could all drive 2-3hrs on a Saturday morning. Then paddle and fish all day have a campground or something to drive back to Saturday night. If we have multiple vehicles we could drop off one at our destination and start paddling somewhere else with another vehicle for the day.

Is there a chain of lakes, river etc that we could paddle somewhere?

Would minnesota river near Granite Falls or Redwood falls be safe enough to kayak? I know both areas would be scenic and we could cover some ground paddling the river. Not sure what there would be for fast water, dams, etc. Or if there is any camping around the area.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Don't know if you saw this ....  On the "a to z list"

There is also water level info on there.  http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/waters/surfacewater_section/stream_hydro/streamflow_weekly.html

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/watertrails/cottonwoodriver/index.html

The canoeable portion of this river begins in Springfield and ends 58 river miles later when it empties into the Minnesota River near New Ulm.

Carved out some 10,000 years ago, the steep slopes are now saturated with maple, basswood, and hackberry trees, with oak and red cedar on the sunny side.

There are no major rapids.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/watertrails/watonwanriver/index.html

Although the river flows quickly at times, it is generally placid. Most paddlers particularly enjoy the 30-mile segment from Madelia to the river's confluence with the Blue Earth River at Garden City.

Some of the most scenic and interesting paddling in this area is found along the stretch below the Rapidan Dam to the confluence of the Blue Earth River and the Minnesota River at Sibley State Park in Mankato.

Edited by delcecchi

20 hours ago, rundrave said:

Would minnesota river near Granite Falls or Redwood falls be safe enough to kayak? I know both areas would be scenic and we could cover some ground paddling the river. Not sure what there would be for fast water, dams, etc. Or if there is any camping around the area.

Near Granite Falls there is some rocky portions that some would consider rapids. Once you get a couple miles downstream from Granite it is a pretty gentle river, barring any really heavy rains of course.