• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vinyl siding repair

One of the corner trim pieces on my vinyl siding is cracked and broken right at the bottom of the first row of siding.  Its been that way since I bought the house almost 10 years ago and its purely a cosmetic issue and since its hidden from view I've left it alone.  Now that we have a contract to sell the house the new buyers are asking for that repair to be done.

It looks like there are 2 ways to repair it.

1. Remove the siding on both sides of the corner and fully remove the corner piece and nail in a new piece and reinstall the siding. I'm not a fan of this method, sounds annoying and time consuming.

2. Cut the nailing flange off of a new piece of corner trim and install it over the old piece of trim using adhesive to hold it into place.  I've also seen this done by cutting out the middle part of the old trim that bends around the corner but leaving the nailing flanges and channel that holds the siding in place and then use adhesive to attach the replacement piece of trim after again cutting off the nailing flanges.

Any one have any experience with either method?  Option 2 sure seems easier but I'm curious if the repair looks good after being done.  Option 1 is probably the right way to do it but very time consuming and if it leads to a piece of siding breaking during removal it makes the issue bigger.

I'm still waiting for final word on what the buyers are asking for but initially it sounds like they want it repaired.  I'm just trying to collect some ideas on best course of action.  I could also just give them a few bucks as a credit for fixing it themselves although the repair isn't expensive if you don't need to pay a pro.  

4 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

a pic will help

Ask and you shall receive.

This pic shows the damaged corner trim.  Its only the bottom 6 inches at most.  After talking to my realtor tonight it sounds like the buyer is really not a handy person and just wants it to look better so I might be able to get by with simply wrapping a new piece of corner trim over it.

20170607_210808.jpg

24 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Just curious.....how would you hold it in place?

It would be held in place with adhesive approved for vinyl applications.  A little adhesive in the channel that wraps around the edge of the old piece should hold it plenty secure.

Initially my only concern with the wrapping method was I wasn't sure if it was going to look like a patch job but the more I think about it wrapping it seems to make the most sense.  I really don't want to get into a bigger project of pulling off siding and hoping nothing else breaks.

If it's 10 years old I suspect that it will stick out like a sore thumb because of fading.  Suggest that the buyer avert his gaze and knock a few bucks off the deal.  Not sure that anything you do will be satisfactory.

4 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

It would be held in place with adhesive approved for vinyl applications.  A little adhesive in the channel that wraps around the edge of the old piece should hold it plenty secure.

Initially my only concern with the wrapping method was I wasn't sure if it was going to look like a patch job but the more I think about it wrapping it seems to make the most sense.  I really don't want to get into a bigger project of pulling off siding and hoping nothing else breaks.

You would cut off the nail flanges then?

41 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

You would cut off the nail flanges then?

I would cut them off on the new piece that wraps over the old.

44 minutes ago, Tom7227 said:

If it's 10 years old I suspect that it will stick out like a sore thumb because of fading.  Suggest that the buyer avert his gaze and knock a few bucks off the deal.  Not sure that anything you do will be satisfactory.

That is something I thought of.  No matter how I repair it if the color doesn't match its going to stick out.  I'm not going to reside the entire house to fix a $17 piece of corner trim.

17 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

have a siding company look at it and wrap it. less than $100. 

It seems simple enough that I don't think I need to bring out a pro to do the wrap.  A job that a pro will charge $100 for has to be a quick easy fix.

I can't tell by scale size but that looks to be J Channel, not that it matters other then making a patch job a little easier.

If that damage didn't bother you for the past 10 years, a simple a patch by cutting off the end and a butt or lap joint would be acceptable BUT will the buyers want that.  Its a matter of making the same joint that you'd use on a long corner.  The top factory edge slips over the bottom.  You trim the bottom flange and channel. 

To replace the entire trim,  its going to make the job easier if you cut the corner out 1st. Take a razor knife and make a cut inside the channel along its entire length. You'll be able to roll the corner back.  This frees up the siding from the channel that would otherwise have to be bent to clear the channel and that is another chance to crack the siding.      Start at the top and unlock the sliding back about 5" , that should be enough room to do the repair. They make an unlocking tool for that. Insert it at the end then pull down and slide the tool along the lock.  Pull the nails from from the sidings nail flange.  Continue on to the next row till you get to the bottom nailing flange but don't unlock the bottom. Pull the old nailing flange off and install the new trim.

Lock the siding back starting at the bottom.  Put the sliding into the corner channel,  then by using the tool where you left off, pull down and slide the tool toward the corner.   Nail the row of siding in and move on to the next. Do not nail the siding in tight. It has to be able to move. 

Fortunately it sounds like the buyers don't really care how it is fixed so I should be able to get away with a simple lap joint and wrap the current trim with a new piece that I've already purchased. In the amendment they sent over asking for the repair they specifically asked for it to be patched.  We had some back and forth between realtors in order to get clarification on what damage they wanted fixed because they kept stating the wrong location.  During those discussions with the buyers realtor it came out that the buyers are very not handy people and just wanted it patched because they wouldn't know how to fix it. The buying realtor actually said just to use some spray foam and caulking to fix it.

While going around the house trying to figure out what corner they wanted fixed based on the location they stated I did notice another cracked corner at the very top of the house on the opposite side that I have never noticed before.