• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wild Regular Season 2017-18

lungdeflator

16 hours ago, CaptainMusky said:

You can say that in hindsight because we now know how the season ended. My point is it was a great decision at the time. It added precisely what we needed. The players that were impacted were just bit/role players that had no benefit to chemistry in the locker room. I would do the trade again. Heck, the owner even said he would probably do it again right after they were bounced from the playoffs. It added depth.

I guess I don't understand how it could have been precisely what they needed when they get bounced in the first round?  Obviously it wasn't precisely what they needed.  And if it is not a locker room/chemistry issue, than what is the cause for a 2 month implosion every year?  They tried new coaches and bringing in players, and it still doesn't prevent it, what else could it be?  I should quit thinking about it because I'm not a GM and it doesn't matter what I think anyways.  Just annoys the heck out of me every year.

At the time I didn't mind the trade and stayed optimistic, because (not knowing anything about Hanzal), I thought he would bring some size and physicality to the team.  That never panned out.  He's a 6-6 230lb guy who wants to play more skilled than physical. There would have been better trades if the team needed more skill.   Would he be better with a whole year on the team and under Boudreau?   

I think you are right with Nino and Granny.  They are good players for sure, and maybe the best or top players on the team.  But that doesn't mean they are worth that kind of money, hopefully right around that 5$mil mark.   Lots of moving parts....is it October yet?

I don't think Hanzel was the problem at all, he scored at a clip about what you expected out of him, was good in the D zone and on faceoffs and generally did his job without much excitment. We just couldn't score in the first round so that doesn't really fall on Hanzel, heck he was one of only 5 guys to actually score a goal in the series. Our offense let us down but also credit to the Blues, they played us perfect. 

Well looks like we are signing a bunch of nobodies on two way contracts to fill out the team so far. Let Folin walk and he signed with LA for 750K, he could at least be a decent and cheap 3rd pair. He must think Granny and Nino will cost a lot. Still holding out hope we pick up some NHL depth.

Hanzel is now with Dallas.  Keumper is now with the Kings.  750K seems fairly cheap for Folin. 

It sounds like Fletcher and Boudreau are both pretty high on Foligno.  Also sounds like Fletcher realizes they lack big bodies to complement their speed.  Overall nothing to get super excited about I guess. Going to be interesting when the dust settles who they keep on the team and who starts the year in Iowa.  

I hope the Wild make a play to get this guy on Aug 15th:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=122004

He was drafted by Toronto, refused to sign last year to return to UMD. Now Toronto cannot sign him due to the number of contracts they already have in play.

He is a big kid and a center. A position of need for us.

Wild locked up Nino for 5 years at $5.25M per. There is no NMC or NTC so that is great. I think this is a decent deal for him. Unfortunately that means we are going to have to pay more for Granlund I am sure. I want to see Nino elevate his game. He had a strong season last year and hasn't been injury prone so we can count on him being in the lineup.

There is $10.5M left in cap space after signing Nino, with Foligno and Granlund left to sign for sure. Could use some other depth as well, mostly a center for the 4th line.

I don't think this team is better than they were a year ago, but I didn't have high expectations of that team going into the season and regular season-wise I was pleasantly surprised.

I agree, Granny will get more than Nino, hopefully not too much more though.  Maybe 5.5$ will do it. Foligno signed for 2.25$ in Buffalo, so he will probably get that if not more.  Probably leaves the team with 2$M or less after signing those 2 guys.  

What time does the thrift shop close?

Thankfully after next season we have some big contracts expiring, Vanek's buyout is complete, so we should hopefully have some extra money to bring in some stud.

We do have a logjam of guys in that middle single digit range of salaries. We need someone to come out of nowhere on an ELC type deal to produce big numbers for us. Hopefully that is Ek/Kunin the next couple years. We don't have much room.

I'd say it's a fair deal.  He played every game the last 2 years, missing 3 games total in the last 4.  Knock on wood hopefully the durability can stay up there, and his point production has been going up every year, topping out at 57 pts last year.

Numbers look good so far, lets get granny and the new guy signed and start the season already. 

8 hours ago, CaptainMusky said:

hopefully have some extra money to bring in some stud.

I wouldn't count on a stud, have to resign dumba and zucker next year, they are due raises. Koivu will need a contract too but hopefully he is ready to take a little bit of a haircut. However we should have some decent cap space to work with so bringing someone in is at least a possibility. 

I agree there.  I have a ton of respect for players of any sport that take a pay cut for the betterment of the team.  Hopefully Koivu, Parise, and Suter can get a winning attitude instead of a money making attitude.  If each of those guys dropped 1$mil off their yearly salary, that would pay for another really good player.  

44 minutes ago, lungdeflator said:

I agree there.  I have a ton of respect for players of any sport that take a pay cut for the betterment of the team.  Hopefully Koivu, Parise, and Suter can get a winning attitude instead of a money making attitude.  If each of those guys dropped 1$mil off their yearly salary, that would pay for another really good player.  

Unfortunately, we are stuck with Suter and Parise's contracts as they are until they expire. Koivu on the other hand could give us a hometown discount when his is up by signing for less. Problem is, he has been playing some of his best hockey the last 2 or 3 years. It would be nice if the cap went up a bit, but that is a good/bad thing. It would certainly help us but it would also help the Hawks. I certainly don't want them to have any extra cash to bring in guys.

Ya no luck with Parise and Suter, we are stuck with them forever. Koivu has been great and aged well but we should remember he is still 34 and usually good things don't happen to players between 35 and 40 unless you are super human Jagr. Still I could see him stepping back a bit from that 6.75 cap hit, hopefully we can keep it a reasonable term as well, 2-3 years seems like a good deal as he ages. 

Edited by Bear55

So Parise and Suter couldn't voluntarily restructure their contracts?  

Sounds like Granny got in about where expected.  3 yrs for 17.5$ is what I think I heard.  Leaves the door open for one more big contract when hes still in his prime.  

Well Granny at 3 years and 5.75 - probably a safe play here, he just had the one big year so he gets paid well and if he can prove he is a high scoring winger he will cash out big time in 3 years. Then again if he falls back to earth we aren't locked into him forever, only downside is he is a UFA in 3 years so that could sting but those fins seem to like MN so hopefully all goes well.

I don't know we will get Koivu for Staal money but something between that and what he makes now could work out just fine. Staal was a huge risk as the time, it just happened to pay off extremely well for us. 

2 hours ago, lungdeflator said:

So Parise and Suter couldn't voluntarily restructure their contracts?    

There are no restructuring of contracts in the NHL. They are guaranteed. You can sign an extension, but that is just added to the end of the original term and the beginning remains the same.

Ya saw that yesterday, glad to have him back, should shore up that 4th line or put him up on the 3rd if Ek isn't ready. Everything I saw last year from Ek has me thinking he is ready but time will tell. Need to sign Foligno yet, probably won't like the numbers I see but maybe he can surprise us. Forward group should still look really good this year, obviously the D took a hit when we traded Scandella and let Folin walk but we could still be ok, sometimes team D can make up for it. Oloffson looked good last year too, not sure about Quincy but hopefully they can form some kind of decent bottom pair. 

Edited by Bear55

He isn't going to set the world on fire, but only been a minus guy 3 times in his entire career. While Scandella is a -10 for his career. Quincey is more physical so I think that will be good. There is probably more upside with Scandella, no, definitely there could be, but he was really terrible last year. Perhaps Quincey gets paired with Dumba. That would be good for Dumba because when he was paired with Leopold he had his best stats following picking him up.

I am still waiting for something exciting on the Wild front...nothing yet that is for sure...just hoping the same old guys have some gas left in the tank at the end of the year and the "young kids" have finally graduated and can bring it to another level...it's all about the playoffs...getting in is easy...actually making any sort of run is the is where the rubber meets the road. Cullen making a "family" decision vs a "hockey" decision was lucky for Chuck that is for sure and Cullen is not going to bring us to another level...but will be an OK role player and 3rd or 4th liner..probably will fill the jersey of a young guy we have unfortunately..but it is what it is.