• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wild Regular Season 2017-18

lungdeflator

Going to be interesting to watch how the next couple months play out.  Irregular year with the expansion draft thrown in, June 21.  

Protected Lists
* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft: 

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

B) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

There are some other stipulations as well.  The guys with no movement clauses like Pommenville really suck.  I don't think Vegas would take Pommers, so hopefully he waives his clause so they can protect somebody else.  

FWIW, I am not an elite hockey mind, I just like watching the moves and thinking about it.  I think they resign Granlund, Nino, and Olofsson.  Probably won't resign Keumper, Prosser, White, or Schroeder.  Haula will be a bit of a wild card, seems like an extreme head case and not sure if Baby Boudreau trusts him.  I am not sure on Reilly, Gabriel, or Folin either.  I wouldn't mind resigning Hanzal, if Boudreau could get through to him and get him to play up to his size and the price was right.  He didn't exactly raise his price with his play after the trade.  

It would be nice to work in a bigger skilled D man for next year.  It will be very difficult to do, but sometimes they seem small in the backend and could use somebody to mix it up and clean out the front of the net.  I really wish Scandella would show off his shot more.  I think he has a heavier shot than Dumba.  

I think they have a decent group of forwards, especially giving young guys like Ek a full year.  

Stalock will be the backup to Dubs and hopefully will get more playing time the second half of the year to keep Dubs fresh.  

Russo is speculating we might protect Brodin and trade Dumba, I am slightly in favor of that move but not 100% sure but that is why they make the big $$$.  Vegas likely snags Scandella or any valuable forward left unprotected. Pommers needs to waive, I don't want to lose any of Staal or Zucker before him, lets hope it gets done. We can't afford Hanzel so don't worry about him, not even sure we can afford Haula but have a replacement waiting in Ek. I like Schroeder as a first call up or bench warmer type guy, when he is on he can score a little, he just can't keep it up throughout the year. 

I would be bummed if they moved Dumba.  He is a liability at times, especially on break outs.  But I like that he is young and has time to learn.  His speed and ability to man the point on PP is nice too.

If they lose Scandella and Dumba, that leaves a pretty big hole in the D zone.  Not sure on their salary situations but would that open up enough to sign a top free agent D man?    Shattenkirk?  Alzner?   Caps probably can't sign both of those guys back. 

I wouldn't write off Hanzal as too expensive.  He was brought into a golden opportunity to showcase his abilities on a playoff team, and all he showed me was he is the biggest teddy bear in the league. Really hurt his open market price IMO.  

Bring Jagr to the Wild!  Savvy old vet who could be a strong presence in the locker room for the young guys.  

I think the decision between Dumba/Brodin, likely is value in return. Dumba has the highest upside and Brodin is what he is. He will never be a high point-producing guy, but he is a guy that shuts people down and doesn't make the plethora of mistakes that Dumba does.

If the rumors are true about the Stars shopping their #3 pick, then I might entertain that if I felt highly enough about the top 3 guys. The only guy I know much about is Middlestadt, and he probably wont be there at 3. Nolan Patrick has great size, but doubt he is there at 3 either. There aren't really any can't miss guys in this draft and its not very deep. I would rather have a top draft pick in next years draft, but there are no guarantees there.

I think you are right on the value, the offence Dumba provides will be worth more than a steady Brodin. CM will be there at #3 for sure, there is another Swiss kid that might be locked into #2. Nico Hircher or something like that. 

Yeah, Hischier. He was very impressive in the World Juniors last year. Well, we know ONE of those 3 will be there at 3. :-)

There was some health scare with Hischier last year that might make him drop. He claims it was a misdiagnosis, but it will likely still linger.

CM is kinda funny story, but at the combine he couldn't even do 1 pullup. Not that I should talk at my stage in my life, but that is pretty funny considering the physical condition he must be in with all the hockey he plays. Clearly that is not a greatly used motion in hockey.

Well trade talk is getting hotter and the Wild have been getting some steam. Whether its legit or not remains to be seen.

An interesting scenario has surfaced, but I wouldn't put any stock in its current form.

Brodin to Boston for 1st Rd pick (18th) and Ryan Spooner. IMO there is no way the Wild do this deal as it currently sits because trades of players at this point require each receiving team to protect that player. No way the Wild would want to protect Spooner.

But, I do see something that could work if you pull in a team like LV. We could do the trade with Boston for the 1st Rd pick, but send Spooner to LV for a 2nd or 3rd Rd pick (or whatever its valued at). If I understand things correctly this is the only way something like that could happen and the Wild wouldn't have to protect that player is if you involved LV.

IDK, Brodin is a solid player, but sometimes you have to get better by losing one of your better players too. I am not sure that Olofsson is ready to step in and he has been injury prone. Reilly has shown some things, but again, not consistent. They could rotate the two of them in and be serviceable. I think the Offensive upside of either of them is higher than Brodin, but they have a long way to go on the D end.

I agree there, maybe the team isn't getting a superstar in return for a Brodin or Dumba, but maybe it is just a lateral move that makes the team better.  Sometimes a change is just a change and that is what creates a spark.  

I wouldn't like that deal with Boston.  In a weak draft, a late 1st and a 2nd or 3rd doesn't really do much for us if we are losing a Brodin or Dumba.  Never know I guess, there have been late draft surprises.  

I came across an article that was saying the Devils are hard up for blue line talent and might seriously be considering a D man with the first pick.  If they are really looking for long term help, I wonder if they would consider a trade package including Brodin or Dumba for this years first?  Or are Patrick and Hischier even considered franchise changers?

I have heard that about NJ as well, but I think its going to take more than just a player to get that #1 pick from them. I don't think any of the top 3 players projected in the draft are going to measure up to Mathews or McDavid, but those are generational type talents.

Patrick is a beefy center though and that is a position of need for us.

There is also rumors about the Wild and TB swinging a deal to bring Drouin here. Over a year ago it was rumored the Wild were courting a trade for him, but at that time the asking price was too high (Dumba). Now, that trade may make sense. We will see.

I'm very interested to see if Pominville is on the "available" list. To me, he will win some praise from Wild fans who have been riding him because that would mean he waived his NTC and we would be allowed to protect someone else.

In all seriousness, how many of you guys would be disappointed if they asked Parise to waive his NTC and ended up losing him, either trade or to Vegas?  

I would much rather lose Pominville, but I would fully understand and would not be heartbroken if we lost Parise and his 7.5$mil.  I think he will be 33 years old going into next season and as a smaller player who seems to be hurt every year, how much longer can we expect him to last and be productive?  Would it be smart to try to move him before he completely falls off in the back half of his contract? 

Kind of like Belichick knowing when to move off of players, maybe still in their "prime".  Maybe Zach will last well into his 30's putting up 50+ points a year and if the Wild are stuck with him I hope he does.  But I have a feeling he will be the next Pominville and Mauer before too long, not enough production for the compensation.   

I wouldn't mind a bit but Vegas would have to be a little dumb to take him with that contract. I also see Graovac to Washington for a 5th. Sounds like they needed a body for expansion reasons. Kind of liked him, big with some skills but coaches were not impressed and he didn't have a well rounded game. Might be useful as a winger if he ever figures out how to use that size of his. 

Trade rumors heating up about Brodin now, sound like him or Dumba could get moved today. We are just in a bad spot so I'm going to hold my breath and hope for the best, we have until tomorrow at 4pm to make a trade but things are starting to happen, Montreal and Tampa just made a big move so the dominos will start to fall. 

Yeah, I am with you Bear. I don't like the position we are in and there is going to be some swirl today and tomorrow before the deadline. Unfortunately I think Brodin is going to be gone.

Lots of talk about Brodin to Montreal for Galchenyuk. I personally don't like that deal at all. Some people are all over it, but his numbers don't impress me and he's been in the doghouse with both of the recent coaches there. We would go from a guy you never have to worry about (Brodin) to someone that you wonder if you are getting everything from him (Galchenyuk). Pass.

We probably get to do this all over again in a year or three, pressure sure they want to balance the league at 32 teams. Maybe by then it won't hurt as much but you would almost rather have it hurt because that means our prospects panned out. 

I haven't heard or seen much from Galchenyuk so I don't know what his game is all about.  He looks like a young guy that can put the puck in the net.  A lot of guys for the Wild had career years last year under Boudreau so maybe he can get through to him.  I did see that he is an RFA so that would leave him, Nino, and Granlund as RFA that they would have to sign for this year.  Could it be possible that they are looking at a 3 way deal with Vegas?  Galchenyuk ends up in Vegas while the Wild get some draft picks in return?  Soften the cap a little?

So if Brodin is gone, does it come down to protecting Dumba or Scandella?  Or if they sign Galchenyuk, does that leave one of the forwards available that we would have protected before the trade?  

Well our trade window is closed, looking like we will lose one of Brodin, Dumba or Staal to Vegas unless a deal can be worked out. I am kind of settled on us just losing one player and be done with it, if a deal happens great but Vegas has been accepting 1st rounders not to take players so the price won't be cheap. 

Rumor has it we protect Brodin and we likely lose Dumba, Staal could go too but I think Vegas understands they would only get him for two years and he might bolt after that, plus his age so he might be safe to expose which is a good thing. 

I have not seen the lists of the other teams, but I could see Vegas taking Staal as a veteran voice with playoff experience to help lead a team of young talent.  I really hope that does not happen and they take Dumba over Scandella.  I prefer to have Scandella's size and heavy shot.

As good as Staal is now he will be 33 when the season starts, Dumba will be a 23 year old dman  who despite some questions in his own zone can hold his own and just put up 11 goals and 23 points, he has his entire career in front of him. I have to think Vegas is taking the long view here, sure Stall would help now but they will need to win more once that new franchise smell wears off.

Looks like Pominville didn't waive his NTC then?  Selfish move on his part IMO.  His salary, age, and lack of production, no way Vegas would have taken him.  I would rather lose Dumba than Scandella, especially looking back on the playoffs where Scandella was the better.  I'd rather have quality play in the playoffs when it counts.  Maybe Dumba becomes that guy, but this team needs to win now, not 3-4 years from now when Dumba comes into his prime.  Same could be said for Staal, although it seems forwards are easier to come by than quality D man.  

Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out, probably a deal or 2 between Wild and Vegas that will surface on Wednesday when they release their picks.  

We pretty much have to find a way to trade pommers, might have to eat a little salary but it would solve a lot of cap and other issues. The good news is his 47 points last season looks decent so he might be moveable. 

That extra cap space will help, especially if Pominville can relieve a little space as well.  Still need to resign Granlund and Nino.  

Heard on the Power Trip this morning that Haula could possibly sign with Vegas today.  That would mean we wouldn't lose anybody else to the expansion draft. 

Sounds like Marian Hossa might be done playing, or at least done playing meaningful minutes, some kind of skin condition?   Shane Doan done in Arizona as well.  To me, Doan and Jagr would be interesting options as veteran guys to look at.  Neither can really comand much salary.  Could be a guy to come in and have a voice in the lockeroom and some leadership on the ice.  

Saw that Haula rumor too but there could be a decent prospect involved too. Just have to cross the fingers and see what happens today. 

Sounds like if we cut a deal a D man could be traded to help with the cap, will be interesting to see what happens.