• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brisket or Chuck roast

Here's my dilemma, I have a lot  of people coming over soon for a grad party, I'm  making pulled pork and pulled beef sandwiches.  My first thought was a whole packer and a few pork butts, but instead of dealing with perhaps a tough flat maybe one is better off smoking up some Chuck roasts. What think?

My thought would be to cook both the day before to insure they are done. Reheat in crock pot or some type of low temp cooker. This way food is cooked and a lot less stress on you. Trust me there will be plenty of other little fires for you to worry about. We did pulled pork and a meat and cheese tray. No pulled pork when it was all said and done and more meat and cheese then I could ever want. Spent way more on the meat and cheese platter than the pork butt.

Thanks Jim, that's my thoughts as well. The way  its looking now I'll be starting in  the   early afternoon the day before ,Just not sure how the meat will be cooking most of the way then put in the fridge and fire it back up in the morning.. spose I can always start it all at midnight. 

Edited by bobberineyes

3 hours ago, bobberineyes said:

Here's my dilemma, I have a lot  of people coming over soon for a grad party, I'm  making pulled pork and pulled beef sandwiches.  My first thought was a whole packer and a few pork butts, but instead of dealing with perhaps a tough flat maybe one is better off smoking up some Chuck roasts. What think?

Chuck is a good cut for making pulled beefs, I would recommend a foiled finish to really braise it tender.  Plus you will get some great foil juices which can be poured back into the pulled meat for additional moisture. The best value would be to buy a chuck roll, it's a 18 to 20 pound boneless roast, and you just slice it into manageable pieces.  Another alternative is something like pepper beef, it's cooked with dry soup mix and a jar or two of Peppercinni, which has vinegar that helps with tenderness.   The combination of flavors is pretty nice, I shred the meat and remove the stems from the peppers so it can all go on a bun or in a flour tortilla... and you have plenty of juices for dunking.  

shktY.jpg

DXo8J.jpg

HDmgYV6.jpg

Gee whiz,  doesn't anybody go to church anymore.  Just hit up slyvee and Costco checking on prices and both were packed even in the rain. Both have impressive meat but so far Costco has a better selection.  Boneless pork shoulder was 1.95 a # and chucks were 4.50 a #. I did not see a beef roll thirdeye,  I asked on of the butcher's but be didn't speak a bit of english.. Next stop will be sams, mid day during the week, not as many cart crashing going on then. 

3 hours ago, bobberineyes said:

Gee whiz,  doesn't anybody go to church anymore.  Just hit up slyvee and Costco checking on prices and both were packed even in the rain. Both have impressive meat but so far Costco has a better selection.  Boneless pork shoulder was 1.95 a # and chucks were 4.50 a #. I did not see a beef roll thirdeye,  I asked on of the butcher's but be didn't speak a bit of english.. Next stop will be sams, mid day during the week, not as many cart crashing going on then. 

My Sam's carries chuck rolls, but they live in the walk-in cooler. Mostly restaurants buy them for grinding their own burger.  My Sam's has a menu board listing the things not stocked in the meat case... but when in doubt ask.  Another heads up, my Sam's recently started carrying USDA Prime beef.  It's about .20 higher than their choice and worth every penny.  Look at the marbling on this brisket point.

EspDlAp.jpg