Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

rundrave

I have taken the plunge into archery hunting

7 posts in this topic

Just signed up for archery lessons at a local outfitter. Had a buddy who just upgraded give me a bow to use, nothing special but for the time being it will work for now. I got it fitted today, draw adjusted etc, put on new sights and a whisker biscuit.

I am almost 36 yrs old but I have never shot a bow in my life so I have no idea what to expect. My first arrow flung will be next week when I start a private class 1 on 1 with an instructor a week from Friday.

I have also never taken any big game ever with exception of turkeys and those were with a shotgun and rifle. No desire to deer hunt but maybe it will come some day. My main focus will be for turkey. I am tired of hunting public, and although I appreciate the challenge over the years I have had too many close encounters. I have also found knocking on doors with a firearm to hunt turkeys isn't as welcomed as it is with a bow. I already have some contacts lined up to use my bow if all goes well.

Wish me luck!

PurpleFloyd likes this

Good luck!  I think the way you are getting started is excellent and I hope you find it fun and an exciting ride.  Good luck!  If you have questions or problems, post 'em up here and we'll try to help.  

I took up the sport at the same age basically (2-3 years ago) and it is fun and a good way to pass time.  I have increased my shooting as time goes as I didn't shoot as much as I should have the first year or 2 and am now making a weekly routine to shoot a couple times all year round to keep muscle memory and just cuz it is fun!  Hope you enjoy the sport!!  Good Luck

I started up the same way 3 years ago when I was 33.  A buddy gave me an old bow to use and I took it into a shop to get it fit for me.  Its an older bow but still shoots just fine.

I didn't do any private lessons more than the pointers I got from the guy at the shop. I just went out and shot a ton of arrows the first year and then a ton more the next year.  Every trip out I could see my groups shrinking and becoming more consistent.

Last season was my first full season of deer hunting with a bow and I loved it. Only got out a few times due to having a baby at home but I had some close encounters that got the blood pumping.  Turns out I put all my energy into bow and didn't even rifle hunt last year and I see that as probably being the trend for awhile. 

I just enjoy getting out to shoot which I try to do 2-3 times a week from spring through the fall.

Been Shooting for 14 years and it still hasn't gotten old. Deer hunted for 13 or those years and just this year shot my first Archery turkey. Next year hopefully arrow my first bear.

I think you will have a blast it is a fun sport, even if not to hunt 3d shoots are a good time.

Sweet!  Let us know how it is going.  I started shooting with my dad when I was 10-12 and we never thought about draw length, poundage, and tuning at all  haha.   It took me 7-8 years to really get comfortable with a bow and shooting good groups past 20 yards.  

Part of me wishes we had the money for better equipment and lessons, but its all good and most of what I have learned over the years has been self taught.  

It's a great sport and stress relief. I have been doing it for 30 years now and see no end in site.