Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

x1957x

1997 chev suburban electrical

5 posts in this topic

My suburban(97) has a few issues. Every time I get in it the time changes and lately it seems to turn over slow and not like it is getting gas. It does eventually start tho. It also sometimes has a dimmer switch(blinker) where it wont change the low to High beams. Any answers?? Maybe ignition switch? Need some idea where to start to look. Thanks

Posted (edited)

How old/good is the battery?   First things first.  

Second, how good is the output of the alternator? 

What is the voltage when all this is happening? 

Easy place to measure is at the lighter socket. 

Edited by delcecchi
Moon Lake Refuge likes this

the easiest way to check those is at the parts store where they check it for free

That will work also, although there is something to be said for testing it yourself.

Couple of questions.... Did everything seem to happen at once? They could be related, but could be completely separate. I would focus on the starting and radio issue first.... When you say it "turns over slow like it isn't getting gas"... These are two separate items. I would focus on the speed that things turn over first. I suspect that you have a weak or bad cell in the battery. Have it load tested. Hooking up a cigarette lighter gauge will give you voltage, but isn't going to tell you if you have a bad cell. It could also be a bad grounding strap so check that out as well before changing the switch.... As far as the radio goes... are you sure that all of the connections are hook up correctly? I am thinking that it is probably related to the battery issue (highly likely) or possibly a bad connection on your "constant" power (less likely).

Long story short... get your battery load tested and go from there - Just my two cents.