• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My 12 model 12.

Robert Bessey

Question

I have a 1957 or 1958 Winchester 12 model 12. I am wondering if it would take value away from the gun or hurt it to change the stock and pump to something moor modern. I love shooting it this is why. Its in I would say good to high good condition. And wish to hand down to my daughter in same condition one day. So any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you Bob.

9 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Ufatz said:

A model #12 Winchester in original condition is a gem. Use it as it is. Do not change it. Would you put a mustache on the Mona Lisa?

What is one worth?   Assuming by "original condition" you don't mean like new.... 

No harm in putting new wood on it and keeping the original wood to be put back on later as long as you can do it without adding any damage. 

They do have some value but it isn't like it's life changing dollars we are talking about so use it as you wish. 

8 hours ago, Ufatz said:

A model #12 Winchester in original condition is a gem. Use it as it is. Do not change it. Would you put a mustache on the Mona Lisa?

No but I would put it in different frame that had protective glass on it and keep the original frame if I decided that I needed to sell it

If he uses it and has the original wood on it  is bound to get beat up so the condition of the wood will degrade over time. If he has a synthetic on it and uses like that while the wood sits in the safe. He can always put it back on and walllah back to original condition with non beat up wood

Leave as is-you wish to give it to your daughter someday and every nick and scar on the wood will be a reminder of you and your hunting days. The value of the gun will mean nothing. $$$$ are not that important or usability to heirs.

15 minutes ago, Juneau4 said:

Leave as is-you wish to give it to your daughter someday and every nick and scar on the wood will be a reminder of you and your hunting days. The value of the gun will mean nothing. $$$$ are not that important or usability to heirs.

That too

Depending on the condition my guess is the value is probably going to be 300-600 at the top end for the gun. You see a few that are priced higher but they are usually abnormally rare versions or extremely good condition.

That is the problem with classic firearms, your afraid to do with them for what they were intended. 

When you hand it down to your daughter she'll have the same dilemma and because its from you she'll feel that shes stuck with it forever.   Why make her a gun collector.

Unless the gun was handed down to you I'd sell it now before its condition degrades. 

Buy a new shotgun, its going to have a better action and choke tubes. Something that your going to use.

Or use the 12 and just take care of it.  When you hand it down to your daughter tell her you want her to use it and its her time to put a ding or scratch in it. That bluing that rubbed off it from your hands caring it afield.   If you think she not into using it then sell it.  Don't make her a collector of something she hasn't interest in.