• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hail Damage Car

Anyone have any experience buying one of these?  Most if not all have a salvage title so they are "dirt" cheap.  I now have a new driver in the house and figured if I'm paying cash, I could get a really low mileage vehicle for under $9000.  Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Will it have a salvage title? Many times they will after and insurance payout. I just bought a trailer last year that had been totaled due to hail damage. I got it at a big discount but then had to have it inspected by a DOT inspector in order to title it. Insurance company didn't have a problem insuring it but I took it there and they took pictures of the hail damage and thus would not cover any damage in the future to those spots. 

I also bought a truck last year that had a salvage title. It was a 2014 Ram 1500 with 14k miles. It had a small interior fire and the place I bought it from swapped interior parts with another wrecked truck that had an identical interior so it was basically brand new but carried a salvage title. In that case insurance was fine. An inspection was done but I did need to finance part of it. It took some looking to find a credit union that would do it and they would only go 60% of the value of the truck. I basically saved like 18,000 off the price of a new one and about 9k less than what comps were selling for so it was a good deal IMO. So if you can pay cash and depending on title status it may work out nice for you if you can live with the dings.

12 hours ago, ZachD said:

There should be tons available for cheap in the Texas Louisiana Oklahoma area right now from the recent storms check the auction sites

Lol. Bring a sponge to the test drive