• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pork Belly Stinks

15 minutes ago, Getanet said:

Keep yer gosh darn politics out of my stinky pork thread.

Although, based on my time down in Sillytown I'm sure there are those rooting for both the live or die outcome.

Agreed!!:lol: Amazing how stinky pork has come this far.

Edited by AlwaysFishing23

1 hour ago, Getanet said:

I really think I'm onto something here. Come get your Getanet's Dry Aged Pork!

If you mention that it was a little stinky when you opened the package it would add to the intrigue...:P

4 hours ago, Getanet said:

Well, I might as well wrap this one up. Last night I sliced up and fried up a few pieces of my bacon....and it was really, really good. None of the headaches, vomiting or diarrhea I was worried about. Just salty, smokey, deliciousness.

It's still not the most affordable endeavor, but I'm glad I gave it a try.

Food intoxication usually hits in 4 hours or less, that's where bacteria produce toxins in the food and those toxins make you sick.

Food borne infection can take several days before the bacteria you consumed colonize your GI tract and give you the schitts.

But I'm sure you're fine, between the salt and the heat you probably killed whatever had started to rot that meat.

Maybe I'm an elitist, maybe I lived a life of luxury, maybe I'm overpaid... I don't know.  But I've never been hard up or hungry enough to ponder whether I should eat the rotten meat or if I should fry up that perch that's 75% worms.  I lean towards toss it, everytime, and throw a frozen pizza in the oven.  Then again, I also study infectious disease for a living.  For me the question is never, "Can I eat this rotten meat?", it's always "Why should I eat this rotten meat?"

Edited by bobbymalone

Definitely Elitist.

Thank your lucky stars our ancestors didn't have your attitude or your butler wouldn't be bringing you caviar, foie gras, steak tartare, or even a delicious glass of milk. I saw how prosciutto was made once, and that's a nasty process. Lutefisk is both disgusting to make and disgusting to eat, but some people like it.

But seriously, would the food have an off flavor if food borne infection was a possibility? Because my stinky swine was really good - on par with anything I've bought at a grocery store.

46 minutes ago, Getanet said:

Definitely Elitist.

Thank your lucky stars our ancestors didn't have your attitude or your butler wouldn't be bringing you caviar, foie gras, steak tartare, or even a delicious glass of milk. 

Raw and rotten are two very different things.  I've got family that drinks milk straight out of the cows teat, unpasteurized.   But I don't know anybody that drinks milk that's gone sour.

46 minutes ago, Getanet said:

But seriously, would the food have an off flavor if food borne infection was a possibility? Because my stinky swine was really good - on par with anything I've bought at a grocery store.

Probably not.   But I wouldn't worry about it, unless you were eating raw meat that smelled bad.

Edited by bobbymalone

44 minutes ago, Getanet said:

Definitely Elitist.

Thank your lucky stars our ancestors didn't have your attitude or your butler wouldn't be bringing you caviar, foie gras, steak tartare, or even a delicious glass of milk. I saw how prosciutto was made once, and that's a nasty process. Lutefisk is both disgusting to make and disgusting to eat, but some people like it.

It's ok, you have to take Bobby with a shot of penicillin just so you don't catch any cyber bacteria!  :grin:

3 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

Raw and rotten are two very different things.  I've got family that drinks milk straight out of the cows teat, unpasteurized.   But I don't know anybody that drinks milk that's gone sour.

Kefir... milk gone bad...

http://www.soul-guidance.com/health/kefir.htm

On 5/10/2017 at 1:30 PM, Getanet said:

Definitely Elitist.

Usually smell is the indicator of bad food. I don't think you would notice any off flavor because of the curing and smoking process... that would disguise it.  Glad you didn't have any adverse effects and you did get to experience the method from start to finish. If you ever want to give dry cure belly bacon or Buckboard bacon a try I have some great recipes.

CVQxusO.jpg

moHhzCG.jpg

On 5/10/2017 at 6:32 PM, delcecchi said:

Kefir... milk gone bad...

http://www.soul-guidance.com/health/kefir.htm

When my grandma was in her final days my Grandpa basically lived at the hospital. He was pure Swede and I remember him telling a nurse one time about all the stuff he liked or used to eat - long milk, blood sausage...stuff like that which somehow made Lutefisk sound good.

55 minutes ago, thirdeye said:

Usually smell is the indicator of bad food. I don't think you would notice any off flavor because of the curing and smoking process... that would disguise it.  Glad you didn't have any adverse effects and you did get to experience the method from start to finish. If you ever want to give dry cure belly bacon or Buckboard bacon a try I have some great recipes.

CVQxusO.jpg

moHhzCG.jpg

I might have to give dry cured bacon a try sometime, if I can get my hands on another smelly pork belly!:blush:  Is buckboard bacon the bottom picture - basically Canadian Bacon?

Do you ever run into a problem of having too long a slab of bacon for your slicer? You look like you have fairly long pieces. I borrowed my dad's slicer and was surprised how much I had to cut off to make it fit. Basically 6 inch slices, maybe a little longer.

For some reason, meat doesn't seem to have a problem with pathogenic spoilage.   Dry aged beef, brits hanging pheasants for weeks, etc. 

I don't quite get why that is, but meat doesn't seem to spoil in a way that makes folks sick. 

5 hours ago, Getanet said:

I might have to give dry cured bacon a try sometime, if I can get my hands on another smelly pork belly!:blush:  Is buckboard bacon the bottom picture - basically Canadian Bacon?

Do you ever run into a problem of having too long a slab of bacon for your slicer? You look like you have fairly long pieces. I borrowed my dad's slicer and was surprised how much I had to cut off to make it fit. Basically 6 inch slices, maybe a little longer.

I think the photo is deceiving, those slices are about normal length.  I don't use the slicer guide until the very end, so that just gives me a little extra length.   Yes, Buckboarded loins are a cross between Canadian bacon and city ham.  If you buckboard a pork butt it's a little fattier, and if you Buckboard chops they resemble smoked chops from the butcher shop.  Here is a slice of a still-warm Buckboard loin, and below is a boneless Buckboarded butt. 

O0Vp3.jpg

FJ86wfw.jpg

11 hours ago, delcecchi said:

For some reason, meat doesn't seem to have a problem with pathogenic spoilage.   Dry aged beef, brits hanging pheasants for weeks, etc. 

I don't quite get why that is, but meat doesn't seem to spoil in a way that makes folks sick. 

In the days before refrigeration, salt pork was a mainstay.  It was raw pork packed in wooden kegs in course salt and brine.  It would keep for months if kept cool.  Bacon was actually developed from salt pork - somebody got the idea to smoke it perhaps with the idea to help preserve it longer, or just to add flavor.

On 5/12/2017 at 2:32 PM, thirdeye said:

If you ever want to give dry cure belly bacon or Buckboard bacon a try I have some great recipes.

Thirdeye, can you post your process for both buckboard loins and butts? I've made Canadian bacon, but am curious about your methods for these other two. 

You already changed how I smoke fish. I may as well up my hog game, too. ;)

11 hours ago, pikestabber said:

Thirdeye, can you post your process for both buckboard loins and butts? I've made Canadian bacon, but am curious about your methods for these other two. 

You already changed how I smoke fish. I may as well up my hog game, too. ;)

Thanks for the kind words. Here you go, this is my  BUCKBOARD write-up (for butts, loins and chops), and the method I prefer for BELLY BACON

12 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

hey thirdeye, got a recipe for whole ham too?

Sorry I don't.  I do know that some folks use a sweet pickle (a brine type cure that has sugar) and in addition to immersing the ham in the liquid, they also inject some especially around the bone.  

On 5/20/2017 at 2:40 PM, Mike89 said:

thanks anyway!!!  

Mike, I have used the brown sugar cure from Curly's to cure a hind leg and it made the best ham I've ever had. They have very detailed instructions on their site, too. I cured it 8 days and it took 18 hours to smoke. Worth every second!

https://web.archive.org/web/20150915234555/https://www18.corecommerce.com/~csk/uploads/file/Smoked Ham or Picnic Recipe(1).pdf

3 hours ago, pikestabber said:

Mike, I have used the brown sugar cure from Curly's to cure a hind leg and it made the best ham I've ever had. They have very detailed instructions on their site, too. I cured it 8 days and it took 18 hours to smoke. Worth every second!

https://web.archive.org/web/20150915234555/https://www18.corecommerce.com/~csk/uploads/file/Smoked Ham or Picnic Recipe(1).pdf

thanks pikestabber!!!  that will work!!!!:)