• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jeep Wrangler ?

Oh yeah, a lot of the newer 1/2 tons have frame rust issues as well.  If you want a serious off-road machine, you need to go back to the models with the straight front axles, and of course, they're getting harder to find in decent shape too.  Especially in the rust belt.  You can still find solid older trucks if you head west, young man...;)

1 hour ago, Walleyehooker said:

I might have to get out and test drive a few and figure out what I like and don't like. Definitly not buying new so Ill narrow it down a bit and then wait for that cherry to show up.

What exactly will you be using it for? Driving around the country with the top down, hunting the back woods, fording small creeks?

Do you have a particular budget to stick to?

Edited by PurpleFloyd

Was thinking for hunting and maybe put a plow on it to use at my place up north. Wouldn't be my main driver. Was thinking around 15K for budget but that was before I did much looking mostly on line so far. But might step up in price for the right rig. And a lot of that would depend if I liked the newer V6 engine and 5 speed auto or 6 speed trany and less miles etc. Just by looking at dealer prices on line I would think a guy could find a pretty nice late model for around 20 or less. I think if I bought a nicer later model I would drive it more as they look like they have made the interior a lot nicer and more comfortable than the older ones. On the other hand if I ran across a real clean older one with the in line 6 and not to many miles for the right price that would be an option to. The drawback to a newer shiny one it might take a while before I ran it down the brushy trail.  

After doing a little more research it sounds like 4.0 was a pretty good and reliable motor and used to 2006. Might be a good option if I were to hang a plow on front. And they also claim this motor could go 300K miles which makes buying a older model with 100K + miles on it less of a gamble. At least one that has been taken care of. The 3.8 doesn't sound to promising from 07-11. The 3.6 definitely has more HP and also might be an option.

So I guess where I'm at is either spending in the 10-15 range and looking for a lower mileage 06 or earlier model in good shape. Benefits would be I would be less worried about running it down a brushy trail or off road and hanging a plow on it. Or spending close to 20 or more and getting more HP and a more comfortable interior and more modern gadgets. At this point I guess it would be best to get out and look at and drive a few.

I think the TJ might be the best choice with the 4.0 which is what I did.I bought the plow used after the fact. I got the plow for 1200 but the wiring was not good nor was the mount so I had a new custom, heavier duty mount made at a fab shop and I bought a brand new wiring kit from Western. I also bought all stainless bolts for it so there are no rust issues with them. Wiring the plow was a task. I basically had to remove the entire interior including console, seats and many dash parts to run the wiring.

One thing to consider- There is really very little room for much of anything in them. Running new wires, adding a speaker anywhere or even having 2 guys, 2 guns, a dog and a cooler is a tight fit. The back seat works for kids but not adults and mostly I take my back seat out so I have at least some room to put stuff. Running the wiring to run the plow took probably 8 hours or more spread over a few days and for a bigger guy it's pretty much impossible to reach under the dash and run wires,connect to fuse blocks even with the seat removed. 

But the ability to take off the top and cruise the gravel roads with no doors while hunting is not possible in basically any other vehicle except maybe a Manx Dune buggy which has also been on my bucket list and those aren't 4x4. 

If you were anywhere close to southern Minny I would invite you over and let you drive mine and show you the things I look for both in the jeep and plow since mine seems pretty close to what you are looking for. If you have any questions PM me.

Used Jeeps must either hold their value real well or people ask a lot for them. I have seen a couple pretty nice 05-06 advertised but they still want around 15K for them with 100K + miles. I don't really want to spend 25K + on a new one but for 10K more you can get a brand new rig with warranty and a lot more options and a way nicer interior. And what sounds like a pretty decent engine with a lot more horsepower and better mileage. I also cant seem to find invoice prices on these and the info I have seen doesn't show much of a discount. If I did go new I think I would have to wait for some factory rebates or maybe 0 financing or some kind of incentives. Would even consider leasing one maybe if the lease rate was right. Ive leased 2 vehicles in the past that were dirt cheap to lease. One was a Ford Ranger and one was a Chevrolet ZR2 truck. Bought extra miles at the start as it is cheaper and turned both back in at the end as it was to much to buy them at the end. Which always happens on a cheap lease the buyout is high. Might also be able to justify a new one as we have a Toyota RAV4 approaching 200K miles and this could eventually replace that. So still kicking tires.

Most new ones are 30-35k plus tax,title,license. For a nice 05-06 tj with less than 150k you will be in the 12k range if you look around. You can add a lot of custom features for the difference in price 

Went and looked at some new ones today just to see if I could fit in one. Was surprised that they are more roomy than they look from the outside. Actually have more room than my RAV4. Still undecided on used or new at this point. The new ones do have a LOT nicer interior than what I remember about the older models.