• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jeep Wrangler ?

Anyone have one of these or know the pros and cons about them? I was looking at side by sides but came to the conclusion if I were going to spend around 15K or so I would rather have something more road worthy with a heater. Was surprised what they want for a new Jeep so I would have to find a gently used one for that price. So I would like to know the pros and cons with the little older ones or what to look for and what not to. I'm sure a guy would want the 6 cylinder as I might want to put a plow on the front eventually if we ever get snow.

1 hour ago, Walleyehooker said:

Some of the older ones had a 4 cylinder. Think the new ones only have a 6 now.

What's a big guy like you going to do with a little SUV?  Your still keeping the truck to pull that new trailer right? :grin:

I went through the same thing. I had ATV's at first then bought an RZR. It was fun but honestly the quality for the price is pretty bad. You can go up to a Can Am but then the price is even worse. So a few years after I sold the RZR I got the itch again but then started looking at the Wranglers and ended up doing that. I bought a 2006 with the 4.0 and after that and buying a used 6.6' plow I was into it for less than 13.5k and can drive it everywhere.

I have the hardtop on mine. I just take it off in the summer and drive it when it's nice. IMHO it's the way to go but you need to watch out for ones that are rusted out. I take the doors off, the top off and drive around sniping gophers, head to the lake or just cruise around. I like the 32" BFG KO tires. 

Never getting rid of my Suburban. Just looking for a new toy for hunting etc. that I can drive down narrow dirt roads up north. Another reason why I would rather buy a slightly used one so I can use it without worrying about putting a few scratches on it. Those side by sides look like fun but you have to haul them around and cant drive them everywhere. And they just aren't built to take what a Jeep can. Always kind of liked the looks of Jeeps and being able to remove the top in the summer is nice to. Would definitely want a hard top to as the soft tops aren't to good for MN winters. I'm sure the newer ones have better heaters than the older ones as I remember back in the day guys were dressed like they were snowmobiling while driving their Jeep. And scraping frost off of the window to see.

7 hours ago, Walleyehooker said:

Never getting rid of my Suburban. Just looking for a new toy for hunting etc. that I can drive down narrow dirt roads up north. Another reason why I would rather buy a slightly used one so I can use it without worrying about putting a few scratches on it. Those side by sides look like fun but you have to haul them around and cant drive them everywhere. And they just aren't built to take what a Jeep can. Always kind of liked the looks of Jeeps and being able to remove the top in the summer is nice to. Would definitely want a hard top to as the soft tops aren't to good for MN winters. I'm sure the newer ones have better heaters than the older ones as I remember back in the day guys were dressed like they were snowmobiling while driving their Jeep. And scraping frost off of the window to see.

They're definitely a nice rig for the backroads, and they hold their value very well if they're kept in decent shape.  The biggest issue with the older Jeeps, including CJs, is they are serious rusters - including frame rust.

Not sure if they ever resolved the rust issues or not with the newer models.  A buddy of mine has a Wrangler Unlimited, and he really likes it.  I think he has a little too much invested in it to use it for an off-road rig, though, so it probably qualifies more in the "fulfilling childhood dreams" category than a true bush buggy....;)

Edited by swamptiger

47 minutes ago, swamptiger said:

They're definitely a nice rig for the backroads, and they hold their value very well if they're kept in decent shape.  The biggest issue with the older Jeeps, including CJs, is they are serious rusters - including frame rust.

Not sure if they ever resolved the rust issues or not with the newer models.  A buddy of mine has a Wrangler Unlimited, and he really likes it.  I think he has a little too much invested in it to use it for an off-road rig, though, so it probably qualifies more in the "fulfilling childhood dreams" category than a true bush buggy....;)

Mostly body rust. Rocker panels, fenders and the rear corners. Not really any different than any pickup truck.

30 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Mostly body rust. Rocker panels, fenders and the rear corners. Not really any different than any pickup truck.

They're a little different because they had a boxed frame, which tended to collect mud and hold moisture, so it's tough to find an older one with a solid frame.  The frame usually rotted out ahead of the rear wheels.

http://www.carproblemzoo.com/jeep/wrangler/frame-rust-problems.php

3 hours ago, Walleyehooker said:

Did they change anything with the frames and rust issues since the late 90s early 2000?

Yes. I believe the TJ and later frames were galvanized or some process like that. Mine is a 2006 and the frame is like new.

They put holes in the sides of the frame, so salt and mud could get in, but no holes in the bottom so they could drain, so not sure if that was planned, or just p*ss poor engineering.  They probably didn't really care as long as they outlasted the warranty period.

38 minutes ago, swamptiger said:

They put holes in the sides of the frame, so salt and mud could get in, but no holes in the bottom so they could drain, so not sure if that was planned, or just p*ss poor engineering.  They probably didn't really care as long as they outlasted the warranty period.

I am saying if you go mudding or off-roading you will plug any of the drain holes they could put in there anyway. Not much different from the weep holes they put in the rear fenderwells and rockers of trucks. 

I suppose it may have benefit to those who stay on pavement.

Well, one of the advantages to owning a Jeep is there are always plenty of Jeep owners out there looking for parts, so if you get ahold of one with a bad frame, you could always part it out and sell the parts to another Jeep owner who believes they have a good frame....;)

Well yeah but can you name a vehicle built for off road including any domestic pickup truck that doesn't have issues with rust. Fenders, rockers, frames etc. If you play in the mud and salt you need to maintain them. UTVs are no different. Ask yourself why Polaris would put the air filter canister intake in the rear wheel well so it is sucking in the air from the dustiest area they could possibly draw it from resulting in a 4k bill when the motor grenades. 

Jeeps are fun, used ones can be had at a reasonable price but by their nature you need to be careful when you purchase because if the previous owner drove them the way they were marketed then they may have some issues.

But the aftermarket has an amazing amount of mods,upgrades and accessories to make your Jeep into anything you want and because the generally go 10 years between major design changes there are a large number of parts available if you need them. 

After doing a little looking there are a lot of options to these things. Anyone know how that new V6 compares to the in line 6? Some of the stuff I would like is the bigger tires and because I would consider putting a plow on it a lower rear end gear. The Dana 44 rear axel would be nice and would want a hard and soft top. I'm in no hurry to get one so Ill wait till the right one comes around. There are a lot of them out there that never leave the tar. More options in the later models as far as transmissions to. So it also comes down to how much I want to spend on one and how late of a model to buy. Sure don't want to spend 35K on a new one.

34 minutes ago, Walleyehooker said:

After doing a little looking there are a lot of options to these things. Anyone know how that new V6 compares to the in line 6? Some of the stuff I would like is the bigger tires and because I would consider putting a plow on it a lower rear end gear. The Dana 44 rear axel would be nice and would want a hard and soft top. I'm in no hurry to get one so Ill wait till the right one comes around. There are a lot of them out there that never leave the tar. More options in the later models as far as transmissions to. So it also comes down to how much I want to spend on one and how late of a model to buy. Sure don't want to spend 35K on a new one.

Not sure about the new V6, but the old inline 6 was bulletproof, and had a lot of low end torque, which is a desirable feature in an off-road vehicle.

1 hour ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Well yeah but can you name a vehicle built for off road including any domestic pickup truck that doesn't have issues with rust. Fenders, rockers, frames etc. If you play in the mud and salt you need to maintain them. UTVs are no different. Ask yourself why Polaris would put the air filter canister intake in the rear wheel well so it is sucking in the air from the dustiest area they could possibly draw it from resulting in a 4k bill when the motor grenades. 

Jeeps are fun, used ones can be had at a reasonable price but by their nature you need to be careful when you purchase because if the previous owner drove them the way they were marketed then they may have some issues.

But the aftermarket has an amazing amount of mods,upgrades and accessories to make your Jeep into anything you want and because the generally go 10 years between major design changes there are a large number of parts available if you need them. 

Any 1/2 ton pickup truck from the 70's and early 80's in particular, had a much better frame than a Jeep.  Body panels rust in all of them.

Not saying this is a deal-breaker for a Jeep, just something to watch for, since it is a very common problem.

2 hours ago, Walleyehooker said:

Good questions. You have 3 body style configurations to choose from. 

The YJ body was made from 87-97 and that had either a 4 cyl or an inline 6. It had leaf springs and a pretty spartan interior IMO. Some serious off roaders liked the leaf springs but they rode pretty rough IMO.

I feel the 4 cyl is anemic especially with bigger tires. The 4.0 inline 6 is bulletproof, has decent torque and power and fits the Jeep about perfectly. In the YJ series the manual transmission seemed like a better option in my experience.

The TJ ran from 98-06. This version replaces leaf springs with coil over shocks. Mine is an 06 and has the dana rear with the 4.0 and auto trans. I have BFG AT KO 32x10s and on gravel they have taken out 2 side mirrors by throwing rocks at them. 

I prefer the TJ series. It has better suspension and interior than the YJ while keeping the original drive train. Fuel economy pretty much sucks as you are essentially driving a brick. I probably get about 12 MPG. If they had done a diesel I would think the wrangler could get 30 but...

The JK series replaced the TJ and was a pretty radical redesign. The body is wider, the drivetrain is totally different and the interior was upgraded quite a bit as well. They went to a pentastar V6 instead of the inline 4.0. trans was upgraded as well. They also started to sell the 4 door unlimited which gives more interior space as well. The new ones are much more civilized and refined which is great for taking the top off and driving to the lake or beach. OTOH they are expensive and harder to justify taking off the top and heading into the woods to hunt or find mud. 

2 hours ago, swamptiger said:

Any 1/2 ton pickup truck from the 70's and early 80's in particular, had a much better frame than a Jeep.  Body panels rust in all of them.

Not saying this is a deal-breaker for a Jeep, just something to watch for, since it is a very common problem.

Just to be clear- The wrangler wasn't introduced until 87 so at least compare apples to apples and having owned ford,chevy and dodge trucks of the Wrangler era I can testify they all have issues. My 08 Ram had more frame and fender rust than my older Jeep. The Chevy's have plenty of frame issues as well. Yes. It's a concern but if you want something like this,there is no better alternative.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chevy+frame+rust+problems&client=opera&hs=Lrs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAnPz1kMrTAhVpw4MKHSs9B1UQ_AUICigB&biw=800&bih=381