• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Boat Mechanic needed 1992 Evinrude 150

Sorgy

Guy's

I am looking for a mechanic to do some work on low hour 1992 Evinrude Intruder 150 HP.

The boat I am thinking of buying has the motor on it and it has sat for 2 years due to a death in the family.

I am thinking of rebuilding the carbs, installing a new VRO pump and sending unit in the resivor, Changing the oil lines and fuel lines on the motor and flushing the gas tank our with new fuel filter and water separator installed.

Thank you

Steve

Sounds like you have a project and a plan.  You are not too far from Rapid Marine in Ham Lake.  They have done work for me many times and I'd recommend them to anyone.

The boat is in the metro area.

I have ran a 2002 Yamaha 115 since 2004 and I have not had one issue. I am really getting cold feet on this old 2 stroke.

funds are not in the game and repowering with a 150 would be very costly.

Thanks for the help

Steve

If you are used to a 4 stroke, this will be a step backwards for sure.    Not sure if the yammy is a two or four stroke, but I went from 2 to 4 a few years ago and can't imagine going back.  

What makes you interested in this older boat as a replacement for what you have?  I think that vintage OMC was pretty reliable, even the oil injection.   You might not have to do all that maintenance, at least right away.  

If you are worried about the VRO, put some oil in the gas to start out and see if it is working.  

Put muffs on it and see if it starts, and if it does just run some seafoam or something through it.  

If it got winterized before storage it might be ready to go.   Put some fresh gas in it and go try it.

siphon some of the old gas out and see how it looks if you are concerned.    Gas that has gone bad, in my experience, looks yellow and smells different. 

Absolutely a 4 stroke Yamaha. I have no idea how many hours I put on it each year but I burn up a lot of gas each year. Been a great motor. Oil changes and Gear lube each fall.

Looking at a classic 690 C Ranger. In absolute great condition. Would be an awesome boat for many years but the weak link is the motor at this point and repowering is not in the cards for a year or two. It is also the only way I will ever own a Ranger.

Glass boats have many positive points over aluminum. Dryer ride, dryer storage and they are more stable overall for fishing.

I am thinking you would get a good price buying the Ranger?  

Would you have to sell the current rig to get the Ranger?   Money, space, mama, whatever?   If so you might keep it as a back up or an alternative.   That way you get the great boat and if something happens to the motor, you park it until the repower is appropriate.   I'm thinking the value of your current boat isn't changing much at this point.   13 years old, 14 years old, not much difference. 

That two stroke will burn a lot more gas than your 4 stroke.   And stink and be noisy and generally unpleasant in comparison.  But maybe you could put up with it for a couple years to get a better boat.   Or you could sell the motor and controls right away and park the boat for a year....

(just brainstorming)

Tough decision.   

Edited by delcecchi