Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Hoyt4

MN tag filled

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Mn was silent for the nights I was able to hunt after work no gobbles at all and only seen one gobbler in those three days. I did have

some hens come in strutting around the two hens I had out. Was cool to watch the hens circle and strut around them. Most the gobblers I’m seeing when driving around  are henned up big time. Very quite first week of the season.

I was able to take bird Saturday morning right out of roost. He was the only bird that could find in the first couple days on our property. I’m sure there are a couple more but he gobbled twice on roost that was it. I did a Fly down cackle and a little sweet sounds from the box call the hens he was with came running in with mr.gobbler. First critter I’ve harvested with this 20guage in 20 plus years. Sure feels good to carry around going this week to put a sling on the gun for WI seasons now. NE and MN are all done just two hunts left.

I did a image000000.thumb.jpg.0a2263b45aa5a98bae29159f31d5de15.jpgimage000000.thumb.jpg.3652f61bcfd97f1eb978a0e0da42eca3.jpg

Edited by Hoyt4

Congrats hoyt!

Another successful hunt!

Good job Hoyt, but isn't the gun a little out of character? 

3 minutes ago, DonBo said:

Good job Hoyt, but isn't the gun a little out of character? 

Thanks Anyfish and Don

LOL

No way I'm getting even for those critters from NE . But I really did like breaking out the old 20gauge man it sure shoots nice still and so light to carry around.

I hear ya, love my guns.  The get-even factor is awesome!

Way to go Hoyt!

great job, hoyt. big congrats

every year i think about carrying my bow or 20 gauge featherlight, but i just cant give up my 12 gauge 3 inch cannon for spring longbeards

15 minutes ago, Illini Walli said:

great job, hoyt. big congrats

every year i think about carrying my bow or 20 gauge featherlight, but i just cant give up my 12 gauge 3 inch cannon for spring longbeards

Thanks

I sure felt the same way but made myself get the 20 gauge out in march to make sure I had all set. Even more so this Saturday it was down pouring when I left and I had the 12 in the truck but the rain stopped so I just went and setup on the one bird I heard. My 20 with the new Winchester XR 3inch 5's pattern good out to 40 but I would hope not to test that :) .

My 3.5 number 4's pattern the best out of my 12 gauge but I really feel good now after taking this bird to use the 20gauge more often.

I built a Mossberg 500 20 ga. last year with a Hevi Shot choke tube, shooting Hevi Shot Magnum Blend (5's, 6's and 7's) and I gotta say it shoots really impressive patterns well beyond 40 yards.  Love this little gun. 

20 hours ago, DonBo said:

I built a Mossberg 500 20 ga. last year with a Hevi Shot choke tube, shooting Hevi Shot Magnum Blend (5's, 6's and 7's) and I gotta say it shoots really impressive patterns well beyond 40 yards.  Love this little gun. 

Sounds like a great setup