Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

thirdeye

Time For Smoked Steelhead & Rainbow Trout

9 posts in this topic

About 10 days ago I came across steelhead on sale, it's one of my favorites for smoking, great fat ratio and the thickness is very uniform.  I did keep two pieces for myself and made suprise gifts out of the rest.  Last Wednesday I went out to a local lake and caught a few rainbow's, I managed to prep them the same day and did my dry cure for a few hours, rinsing them about 11PM and holding in the fridge until the next morning, then smoking them.... roughly 18 hours from the water to the smoker... but I'm getting a little greedier, I kept 3 fillets this time :grin:  These were seasoned with a homemade garlic pepper blend, and also coarse ground black pepper. I took the internal up to 150° and used a pellet blend of hickory, cherry, apple and hard maple in my Big Chief box smoker.

rVJBFJY.jpg

7XDxCa3.jpg

Ever try brushing them with pure maple syrup?  I do this with Salmon at the same time I put on the garlic and pepper. 

1 minute ago, Kidd said:

Ever try brushing them with pure maple syrup?  I do this with Salmon at the same time I put on the garlic and pepper. 

Yes, I make a sweet version for two friends of mine, they call it candied salmon, but I don't apply the maple syrup until the last hour. I thin it slightly with hot water, and a couple of times I used a mix of agave nectar and maple syrup.  The sweet combines well the flavors of garlic and pepper doesn't it?

IY0Pbrf.jpg

leech~~ and eyeguy 54 like this

I'd chow into those any time!!

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, thirdeye said:

Yes, I make a sweet version for two friends of mine, they call it candied salmon, but I don't apply the maple syrup until the last hour. I thin it slightly with hot water, and a couple of times I used a mix of agave nectar and maple syrup.  The sweet combines well the flavors of garlic and pepper doesn't it?

Yeah they taste great, I start brushing the syrup on with about an hour left also.  That is also when I add the pepper and garlic.

Edited by Kidd

I'm still full from Easter dinner and I wanna come through the screen and get a taste!  Excellent looking fish! :P

leech~~ likes this