• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It isn't time yet

Tom7227

The green squirt trucks have rumbled by a few times this week putting down totally wasted chemicals for a lot of money.  There is no reason at all to be putting chemicals on the lawn this early.  The crabgrass preventative can wait until the soil warms up, probably until you see the first dandelions.  Crabgrass grows from seed and the seed doesn't sprout until the ground warms up.  The idea behind the products is to spread a chemical that prevents the seed from sprouting.  That's why it's called a preventative.  If you put the stuff down too early it looses the ability to stop things.  The stuff prevents every seed from sprouting.  So if you put it down and then put down grass seed you're wasting money.

It may be heresy on this forum but you may want to hold off gassing the dandelions as well, at least until they get close to going to see.  They are one of the first flowers out there and the bees need them to get things started in the spring.  Shut them down when they go to seed, before they little parachute jobberdos get flying, and you're good to go.

You probably need a lot less fertilizer than you're going to use.  Putting down too much, or getting it on sidewalks and streets, really contribute to the decline in our rivers lakes and streams.  Use the stuff according to the label, or maybe even a tad bit less than what the label recommends. 

I know it's hard to hold off, particularly whey the forecast calls for the first 70 degree day in months.  But relax.  There's plenty of spring left, maybe even some snow in a few places.  Take a cold beer and sit out on the steps and enjoy the warmth today.

As for the "it's too early".... The customers don't know any better, and the company is happy to take their money since someone will.   As for fertilizer, not any worse than those folks that put it down in the fall, and it is too late. 

For sure it is too early for pre-emergent crab grass treatment.    But the "customer is always right".

On 4/8/2017 at 0:58 PM, bobberineyes said:

Think all I'm going to do is run around with the blower to fluff up the yard and suck it all up with the mow lawner , then spread some seed on the bare spots.

Surprisingly enough, I'm sure my neighbors thought I looked ridiculous but I took my pressure washer out last spring and lightly hit my yard with it.  Loosened everything up and I was the first lawn in the neighborhood that was dark green.  

20 minutes ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

Surprisingly enough, I'm sure my neighbors thought I looked ridiculous but I took my pressure washer out last spring and lightly hit my yard with it.  Loosened everything up and I was the first lawn in the neighborhood that was dark green.  

Please post pictures of this years process of pressure washing your lawn!

lurker.gif

On Mon Apr 10 2017 at 6:51 AM, Moon Lake Refuge said:

Hmmmm.......interesting.

I am a cover every square inch of yard with the leaf blower from 2 inches away guy.

20170414_145853.jpg

4 hours ago, RebelSS said:

I mowed yesterday finally. Love that first new-mown grass smell. Beautiful, thick, lush lawn. I love it.  :grin:

DSC03275.JPG

Better check your blade for a bend or nicks!  Looks like some uneven streaks in there! Or did you use to mow the ball field?  ;)

Edited by leech~~

Nicks? Bend?  in my blade?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!  You're out of yer mind. My blade was just hand sharpened with a mill fine bastard, finished with a stone, balanced, and checked for true by yers truly. It's laser straight. Better get some new glasses for yourself, leech ol' buddy. Any unevenness is due to a few things...the hill, and the ground, which being composed of clay substrate, that is bumpy and not settled down yet due to frost heaves, and the sloppiness of the Toro mowers, because they no longer utilize steel axle inserts, causing the plastic inner wheel holes to wear unevenly, causing a side-to side and up and down sloppiness, even though I even shim them up. Blame all those things.... darned mowers, anyway. :mad:

3 hours ago, RebelSS said:

Nicks? Bend?  in my blade?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!  You're out of yer mind. My blade was just hand sharpened with a mill fine bastard, finished with a stone, balanced, and checked for true by yers truly. It's laser straight. Better get some new glasses for yourself, leech ol' buddy. Any unevenness is due to a few things...the hill, and the ground, ..which being composed of clay substrate, that is bumpy and not settled down yet due to frost heaves, and the sloppiness of the Toro mowers, because they no longer utilize steel axle inserts, causing the plastic inner wheel holes to wear unevenly, causing a side-to side and up and down sloppiness, even though I even shim them up. Blame all those things.... darned mowers, anyway. :mad:

Ah yes, blame the equipment, not the operator.:D