• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Let see your di and si captures

rundrave

does anyone have any cool  or interesting DI or SI pictures to share? I have found that now that I have sonar with those features I almost spend more time exploring and searching for stuff than I do fishing.

I will have to try to get some of the flooded farm equipment and other things around here.

On 4/6/2017 at 2:55 PM, rundrave said:

does anyone have any cool  or interesting DI or SI pictures to share? If not just go here.  I have found that now that I have sonar with those features I almost spend more time exploring and searching for stuff than I do fishing.

I will have to try to get some of the flooded farm equipment and other things around here.

Great idea for a thread. Cant wait to see what others have. 

Looks like a lot of rocks.  Could be some fish laying on the bottom.  I look for separation between the object and the shadow.  After I get more acquainted with my new unit i will try and post some shots

Edited by slammer

11 hours ago, DLD24 said:

Rocks usually show up a brighter color don't they?

The rocks are. If you look at the crib on the other side you will clearly see it's shadow.  The black spots by the big rocks are shadows.  imo

I say they are dimples (holes) in the bottom. The dark comes before the bright return. If they were rocks the bright return comes first then the shadow is behind it. Ive seen these many times, often times in the shallow spawning areas but sometimes see them out in deep water too.

Edited by TurnUpTheFishing

4 hours ago, leech~~ said:

The rocks are. If you look at the crib on the other side you will clearly see it's shadow.  The black spots by the big rocks are shadows.  imo

Just saying, I've seen more rock fields in lakes then depression fields.  But it could be either?

20170510_143636.thumb.jpg.8523eab702271840df464e66003b7394.jpg

Edited by leech~~

36 minutes ago, JohnMickish said:

The black spots are holes, the shadow is on the leading edge, showing that it is below the surface not above it.

And the crib and it's shadow??  So your saying the sun does not penetrate the water like the shady side of a dock?  If it does like I think it does all the shadows would be behind all objects.  Just like the shadow of a tree out of the water.

I think you guys are confused on how side imaging works, it has absolutely nothing to do with sunlight or water clarity. SI will work at night. The basics: see the white line down the center of the screen? That's the boat's path. the black region on either side of it is the water column under the boat. There is a SI beam scanning to the right and another scanning to the left. This is why the crib on the right half of the screen has a shadow being projected on the right side of the object. There is also a beam scanning out towards the left side of the boat and anything on that side protruding up from the bottom of the lake would have a shadow cast behind it, aka to the left of it. With that in mind, you're interpreting shadows when you use side imaging. Bright spot then shadow means the object is protruding up from the bottom. In reverse darkness then bright spot means a hole. Other important things are harder objects tend to send back stronger returns so hard bottom will look brighter than soft bottoms which can be seen in one of the "drop off" images above.

10 hours ago, leech~~ said:

20170510_143636.thumb.jpg.8523eab702271840df464e66003b7394.jpg

Edited by TurnUpTheFishing

17 minutes ago, TurnUpTheFishing said:

I think you guys are confused on how side imaging works, it has absolutely nothing to do with sunlight or water clarity. SI will work at night. The basics: see the white line down the center of the screen? That's the boat's path. the black region on either side of it is the water column under the boat. There is a SI beam scanning to the right and another scanning to the left. This is why the crib on the right half of the screen has a shadow being projected on the right side of the object. There is also a beam scanning out towards the left side of the boat and anything on that side protruding up from the bottom of the lake would have a shadow cast behind it, aka to the left of it. With that in mind, you're interpreting shadows when you use side imaging. Bright spot then shadow means the object is protruding up from the bottom. In reverse darkness then bright spot means a hole. Other important things are harder objects tend to send back stronger returns so hard bottom will look brighter than soft bottoms which can be seen in one of the "drop off" images above.

Well dang, I really liked my theory there for a while! :lol:

Those are definitely holes. Sonar creates shadows because there is no return behind the object because the object is blocking the ground behind it.

If they were rocks the shadow would be on the other side think of it if you pointed a flashlight toward a hole in the ground the far side would be lit up but the close side would still be dark because light cant bend around and bounce on the side of the hole

123.png