• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Team 3 "Strut Stoppers"

DonBo

13 hours ago, Borch said:

Going on 4 weeks of major cough for me with viral bronchitis.  I made a cough muffler that takes 90% of the sound away.  Hens didn't react to it last week.  I really hope it's better by Wednesday when my season starts. Coughing and turkey hunting is a tough combo.

I am interested in what this cough muffler looks like

It's a pop or in my case an ice tea bottle with several 1/8" holes near the bottom of the bottle.  I then roll up paper towels and get as many as I can stacked inside the bottle.  When I need to cough I unscrew the top and cough into it.  It definitely softens then noise to more of a rush of air sound.

I'll be getting out again on Tuesday with the bow. It has been very hard finding time to get out this year, between work and a 4 month old at home. Last time out I spent 12 hours in the blind and saw quite a few birds during the middle of the day. Had multiple times where I thought it was going to happen but the Toms wouldn't commit 100%. Making a small adjustment this go round and hoping things come together.

Good luck PFUNK!  I'll be back at it tomorrow morning.  Thanks to the horrible weather and a bad cold, it's been over a week since I had any blind time.

More details to come later... but I just had an opportunity. Didnt take a shot because I wasnt totally comfortable with it. But after an hour of a tom strutting back and forth about 45 yards out, a hen finally led him past me but outside the decoys. I was just about to hit the back wall of my draw and he sensed something wasnt right and turned and slowly walked away cautiously. Well within range but being new to bowhunting turkeys I wasnt comfortable with taking a shot. A dandy of a tom too. Still around now with 4 hens at 153 yards.

I gotta say, I have never seen more birds and struggled so badly getting anything decent to commit.  I've hunted hard and seen a ton of birds.  I've had hens and jakes (piles of jakes this year) in my decoys just a few times, but the toms are always either swinging wide around me, or most often just plain ignoring me. It's frustrating as hell.

Just last night, I was set up right where I've seen them enter the woods to roost, and sure enough, 2 hens and 5 jakes came right in, less that ten yds, but the tom following? no closer than 35 yards.  Too far for me.  I've tried different set ups in different spots, different decoy spreads, no decoys, lots of decoys, loud aggressive calling, no calling, nothing has worked.  I know archery is a tough road, but jeez.

Can't wait to get to Wisconsin when I can start getting even with my shotgun.

How are the rest of you guys fairing? 

My biggest struggle lately is just getting out. Whether ill, dad duties, or vehicle problems. Last time I was out, a tom was sounding off nonstop in the tree then once he flew down it was dead silence until about 7:30 then he gobbles his head off for 45 minutes just out of sight. Come closer, move away, come closer, then move away. Guessing he had hen with him and she won by pulling him away.

23 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Well my nephew was grounded last weekend so maybe he figured out he needs to get his assignments in on time. 

Come on Moose, it's your job as the cool uncle to get this kid straightened out and back in the woods.  Explain to him about the "team" concept and how badly we need him to score, you know, for the team. ;)