• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Team 1 "Strutting to First"

ZachD

Nice work Zach!

I called in a nice gobbler in the morning but couldn't get him any closer than about 60 yards. Also called in two jakes in the pm but they weirded out at 15 yards and bailed on us. Yep close calls on day 1. Headed out all day tomorrow and Saturday. 

Not the big beard thats walking around but hey my first turkey.

I set up on the top of our hill like yesterday but more in the open I decided against sitting at the bottom by the sod field and swamp allthough I was kicking myself because 6 toms come into my calling across that field strutting around for awhile. I was hoping they would come up the little hill and right to me. They cut into the woods. I keep calling them and I was still kicking myself because it seems like they want to disappear I should have sat at the bottom of the hill I kept saying. They seemed to go farther away get close go father away get closer. Finally two popped out behind me about 40 yards. I call one more time softly as they were looking around. That got them moving they slowly moved my way and hooked around and got a glimpse of the two hen decoys I put out they walk 1 foot passed the side of my blind as they are going out to the decoys I draw back I didn't have a good shot on the bigger one and had a perfect shot on the front one. I nail him in the back and exit out just below the beard. He jumps ups takes flight toward the hill just as he gets to the hillside he loses juice and hooks right and down hard crashes into the brush.

I never really thought I would get into Turkey hunting and just started last year just because i like shooting (only was able to go out twice) but man this is fun between yesterdays close calls and today what a blast.

WP_20170413_08_20_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20170413_08_20_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20170413_08_21_06_Pro.jpg

Edited by ZachD

Congrats on the double.

Lifelong memory.

I have got out for a few sits this last week.

Seeing jakes and hens.

Seems like the jakes have pushed the local tom away.

These 2 thugs keep coming into my DSD jake and pound on him.

You would think after 10 minutes they would figure out it's not real.

Punks :D

I have all of the Minnesota season and the C and D Wisconsin season to hunt so hope to score.

The last few years I tagged out opening morning so actually enjoying some time in the woods this year.

20170412_075914_resized.jpg

20170412_075919_resized.jpg

Got out Saturday morning.

Perfect weather.

Jakes and hens.

Had a new group of 6 hens come in with no tom or jakes.

Did have a yote come out of nowhere right into my dekes.

12 yards.

Just as I was drawing on it , it must have scented me and booked.

A second yote crossed about 50 yards out.

Sticking a yote is on my bucket list.

All in all a great morning.

2 hours ago, hugonian1 said:

Got out Saturday morning.

Perfect weather.

Jakes and hens.

Had a new group of 6 hens come in with no tom or jakes.

Did have a yote come out of nowhere right into my dekes.

12 yards.

Just as I was drawing on it , it must have scented me and booked.

A second yote crossed about 50 yards out.

Sticking a yote is on my bucket list.

All in all a great morning.

I have been meaning to try to stick a yote too whenever I was out I hoped one would show up instead of a turkey.

Well, i will try my hand at picking up another bird for the team starting tomorrow.  Weather looks to be challenging at best over the next 7 days.  I will give my best effort when i can get out.

Birds are still hanging around the area well,  hopefully i can get a tom to break from the Hens.  

Not a monster for sure but he makes the season a success.

I wasnt going to be able to hunt tomorrow because of a first communion, not afternoon today because of my dads birthday, and only evenings Monday&Tuesday.  So time was limited and i am more than happy to eat jake.

Here he is.

20170429_070113.thumb.jpg.bf049ad4daba46bbeb6abe31beb9aaec.jpg

20170429_093730.thumb.jpg.a05ab3a43fe9b2d7bd30c131c2d1dd42.jpg20170429_065742.thumb.jpg.5e3cc924169309b3e348d523d08728de.jpg