Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

DLD24

Clicking in reverse

11 posts in this topic

So I took the new boat out for the first time and it did not go as planned...When I put it in reverse it clicks like it's not getting into gear. If I just barely put it in reverse it didn't really click...Anyone have this happen and figure out what it was?? Thanks for any help

Is this a new , like brand new, or new to you but used? 

New to me it's a 96 115 merc

It would really, really be nice if it was just a shift cable adjustment.  If not It could be the clutch dog wear in the lower unit.  Below was copied from a web page.

The clutch dog is basically the connection between your driveshaft on the motor and the propshaft.

It sits between your forward and reverse gear. It has a groove in the center of it that the shift fork rides on. Its also connected to the prop shaft with splines. It slides on the propshaft. It has 2 large cogs or teeth on each side that mate with similar teeth on the forward and reverse gears. When you shift into forward gear, the shift fork slides the clutch dog so that engages the teeth of the forward gear, connecting it to to the prop shaft. That causes the driveshaft to spin the propshaft in the forward direction. Same thing for reverse. The clutch dog slides the other way on the prop shaft, engaging reverse. Thats the clunking sound you hear when you engage the gears. And when you dont engage them smartly, the ratcheting sound you hear is the clutch dog slipping over the teeth on the gear.

Its a rather crude way of doing it, but thats how its done. When the teeth on the clutch dog wear out, it causes the teeth to slip. Usually the clutch dog is made of a softer metal than the gear so it wears out (its cheaper than a gear), but if it grenades then all heck will break loose in your lower unit and your wallet.

I would get it checked ASAP, if it is the clutch dog you will want that fixed ASAP, my clutch dog failed and blew out the lower unit and had to have it re-built which is not cheap. Hopefully it is something minor but if not at least you caught it prior to being something major.

leech~~ likes this

I dropped it off at the shop today, hopefully it just needs some adjustment I'll let ya guys know what I hear.

leech~~ likes this

Good luck.  If you want more of the manual, let me know.

Ended up being the clutch dog and reverse gear were wore out... 550 for parts...I almost ended up getting a whole new lower unit, but a buddy was able to find the parts...The shop said they discontinued the parts Yada Yada Yada, but some shop in Hackensack was able to find them I guess...just want the dang boat back ha...

leech~~ likes this

1 hour ago, DLD24 said:

Ended up being the clutch dog and reverse gear were wore out... 550 for parts...I almost ended up getting a whole new lower unit, but a buddy was able to find the parts...The shop said they discontinued the parts Yada Yada Yada, but some shop in Hackensack was able to find them I guess...just want the dang boat back ha...

Well wasn't cheap but you got fixed and it would have been a real mess if she blew out on the lake.

$900 big ones later and I finally have my boat back... For anyone who has this problem and your shop can't find the stock gears or clutch dog call Tim's outboard repair in Hackensack he can order them...