• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bear Head Lake state park!!

pheasantpro10

I finally got a campsite at bearhead and just wondering about the fishing there or around that area? I wanted to try the BWCA but this is about the closest I can get my family to there for there first time.. We have kayaks and my wife and daughter like to just sight see and my son and I really like to fish. Any help would be great and any advise on the campground itself. Can't wait!! It looks like a very nice area... Thanks in advance!

Yes, as leech said, check out the trout lakes.  They can be fruitful or not, depending on the time of year (or how close you are to the last stocking).  There are some good (but small) lakes up there that have canoe access only but that are also outside the BWCA.  Worth a look at a map for sure.

We've been at Bearhead for a week every summer for the last 25  years.  It's a great park.  Depending on the time of year (and moisture), the blueberries can be great, and right along the roads/campsite loops.  We also usually take a hike out to Blueberry Lake (a pretty tough hike for youngsters) and collect enough for a breakfast of blueberry pancakes.  

Last year in late July, the park was also filled with chanterelle and lobster mushrooms - if you're into that.  

Tons of sunnies during the day in any of the shallow bays or around islands just outside of the boat launch bay.  Just bobber fishing.  We've switched to powerbait maggots for bait over the last few years because it outlasts live bait and the little sunfish don't seem to care.  You'll get a bonus bass or northern if you're using live bait though.  We always get into some nice crappies and small walleyes, but over the years we've only found them biting from about an hour before dusk until the time the mosquitos come out (just after sundown).  Might be tough in a kayak as we are usually returning to dock in the dark.  Here's some pics from our trip last year (we had some big storms roll through and lots of trees were down in the park).  Enjoy your week!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

WOW!! Looks like you had a good week... We will be up in August so hopefully we will have some luck as you did. I just got into mushrooms about 3 years ago so I'm fairly new, only eat the ones that are easy to identify. Sounds like the kids will have fun with the sunnies. Thanks for taking time to comment I'm pretty excited for this trip!! Thanks again..