• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TPMS. OMG!

What a mofo joke these are. I have a pretty slow leak coming from one of my TPMS tire stems. The dealer wants $283 to fix this! Are u efn kidding me? What are my options here? 2012 Tundra. Fill it up every week? Can I replace it with a standard stem? Will/can a shop put on a standard stem? I get the light will remain on. Also heard the batteries go dead WITHIN 10 years. $300/ for new tires ever 4 years, $283 in probably 8 years. Its a efn tire. I'm pretty sure I can visually see of its low on air...I don't need $1200 sensors to tell me that. I'm beginning to hate my Tundra more and more...or it could be the worthless Toyota dealerships I've been dealing with. 

Anyone else deal with these? What did you do? Sensors alone apparently are about $106 each plus the awesome $150 shop time and tax or whatever. I miss the good old days when the government didn't have their efn hand in every stupid accident that happens and tries to fix it with talk.

Rant just starting. I've got multiple trips happening soon.

Well unfortunately you can't get away from them, I think they became mandatory since the Ford/Firestone fiascal. Like you said you could just watch it and live with light on or next time you need tires have it replaced. The dumb things do fail sometimes.

This past winter heading up north 4 hours into trip mine came on out of nowhere. I pulled over because I thought I had a tire going to blow. Everything looked good, pressures good, it was cold out. Continued on my way, it stayed on the next 2 days and then the dumb thing just went off. I'm anticipating it'll rear it's head again in the future and I'll have to pay the price

I think magic is probably right.   We have all those fools who never checked their tire pressure to thank for this, and the ones who backed out without knowing for sure where the kids were to thank for the cameras and screens (although it is really handy for hooking up the boat as well)

Good to know that ignoring the light is an option.  

I have one out and they wanted $185 to replace it. I said screw it I never had them on my first 5 trucks and SUV's anyway! I always look at my tires anyway when I come up on it. Now a days we all act like idiots, when our idiots lights go on! ;)

Edited by leech~~

9 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I have one out and they wanted $185 to replace it. I said screw it I never had them on my first 5 trucks and SUV's anyway! I always look at my tires anyway when I come up on it. Now a days we all act like idiots, when our idiots lights go on! ;)

Leech-

How did you fix yours? Regular stem? Did you or a shop do it? I don't have a tire taker-offer tool but also heard shops can't remove TPMS only unless the sensor is broke...guessing my qualifies since it has a leak????

1 hour ago, ClownColor said:

Leech-

How did you fix yours? Regular stem? Did you or a shop do it? I don't have a tire taker-offer tool but also heard shops can't remove TPMS only unless the sensor is broke...guessing my qualifies since it has a leak????

I didn't. Like I said I'll just keep an eye on my tires just like the old days! ;)

any chance you had a tire shop mess them up? wouldnt be the first time. Are you still using plastic caps on stems? I have heard of metal ones coroding and getting stuck and then your SOL.

I haven't had any issues myself with my tundra  but I have had times coming out of winter into spring where the dummy light will come  on for low air pressure. I can ignore it and it just goes away a day later etc. and if I manually check air pressure they are fine. I just had 4 new tires put on about 5k ago and didn't think they were leaking got a light the other day and it was gone in a day and hasnt come back on.

Have you inspected valve stem? are you losing pressure? If they decide its been damaged rather than the part failing due to quality control issues, that is where I think it will get complicated if anything can be done under warranty. Unfortunately I think TPMS monitors are consider normal consumables like oil, tires and windshield washer fluid etc.

Try calling some small tire shops and see if a rebuild kit will fix this. You break the bead, remove the sensor, clean the area around the hole and reinstall with the new gasket and shouldn't be very expensive at all. But I think toyotas sensors are in the stems themselves so that might not be an option either. I would try another stealership or some small tire shops.

as for the tpms sensors themselves you can buy them much cheaper than the stealership mark up. You just have to pay someone to calibrate it.

Each one has a little non-replaceable battery in them. When they die it stops sending the signal. Really suks to spend that much to replace the whole unit instead of a little $5 buck battery! :angry:

2 hours ago, rundrave said:

any chance you had a tire shop mess them up? wouldnt be the first time. Are you still using plastic caps on stems? I have heard of metal ones coroding and getting stuck and then your SOL.

I haven't had any issues myself with my tundra  but I have had times coming out of winter into spring where the dummy light will come  on for low air pressure. I can ignore it and it just goes away a day later etc. and if I manually check air pressure they are fine. I just had 4 new tires put on about 5k ago and didn't think they were leaking got a light the other day and it was gone in a day and hasnt come back on.

Have you inspected valve stem? are you losing pressure? If they decide its been damaged rather than the part failing due to quality control issues, that is where I think it will get complicated if anything can be done under warranty. Unfortunately I think TPMS monitors are consider normal consumables like oil, tires and windshield washer fluid etc.

Try calling some small tire shops and see if a rebuild kit will fix this. You break the bead, remove the sensor, clean the area around the hole and reinstall with the new gasket and shouldn't be very expensive at all. But I think toyotas sensors are in the stems themselves so that might not be an option either. I would try another stealership or some small tire shops.

as for the tpms sensors themselves you can buy them much cheaper than the stealership mark up. You just have to pay someone to calibrate it.

I sprayed the entire wheel and found no leaks. I than sprayed the valve stem and found a very slow leak.

No way of knowing how it was damaged but I highly doubt it was caused by the shop...it's been over a month since my at service which did include ire rotation. Also no impact that I'm aware of.

I get buy a rebuild kit for $10.64....but still need to get the tire off. Do I have to rebalance the tires if I take them off? If I mark the tire and rim?

A local tire shop wil do it for $110 with new sensor and calibration...but worried it won't calibrate as I've read that only Toyota has the tools to do it???

Anyways, I'm going to buy the kit and see if the tire shop can fix it with that for about $50...but if I need to replace TPMS, I'll probably just replace them all with normal stems

Anyone should be able to calibrate, they have to do it when tires are rotated so computer knows where the sensors are. if a kit is available I'd have a shop remove tire and try installing that first, I'd guess something like that should be under 50-60$.

If you replace with regular stems my guess would b the light be on all he time?

My experience with Toyota repairs or parts of any size is not good,  mainly because they absolutely RAPE you regardless the size or complexity of the repair/part.  I concede they make some nice cars but you can  count on paying through the nose if you need anything.  Everybody complains about Mercedes and BMW repairs but believe me,   Toyota is right in there with them when it comes to charging. 

I came close to popping for a new truck but got smart and went with Chevy.  One Toyota in the family is all we can afford. Ha Ha!

14 minutes ago, Ufatz said:

My experience with Toyota repairs or parts of any size is not good,  mainly because they absolutely RAPE you regardless the size or complexity of the repair/part.  I concede they make some nice cars but you can  count on paying through the nose if you need anything.  Everybody complains about Mercedes and BMW repairs but believe me,   Toyota is right in there with them when it comes to charging. 

I came close to popping for a new truck but got smart and went with Chevy.  One Toyota in the family is all we can afford. Ha Ha!

Ain't that the truth!

More updates...Harbor Freight has a bead break with good reviews for $40! I could buy all the tools and kits for less than what they charge to fix. And it seems like a five minute fix...famous last words right? LOL

Probably bring it to the shop with the kit and go form there.

I'll keep you posted and we'll see if I dig a bigger hole or come out ahead.

I guess I'm a little different. I like TPMS. My 2016 taurus has the sensor style tpms. My 2011 jetta before it watched wheel speed. 

I paid good $$$$$ for good tires. I drive to work and heard the typical tick of a rock stuck in my tire on the way to work. No big deal. I had a dirt drive way. Get to work 20 mineuts later. Work ends drive home. The light came on. Looked at the tires one was flat. I worked at a dealership and just made it out the shop drive way. Break down the tire and I had already destroyed the inner liner. It was a low profile tire so it's not as easy to tell it's flat. I think I wasted 200 bucks on a tire with 200 miles on it.

Come back to my Taurus. It has the sensors in the wheels and also has 20 inch lower profiles. On my way home on the freeway the light came on. Wasn't too far from home so I drove the rest of the way. Btw my car doesn't have a spare at all. So if it's trash I'm s.o.l. no matter what. Got home and none appear low. Checked the tire pressures one was 10 psi low. I plugged it and got it repaired later. That 150 dollar sensor saved me 300 bucks on a new tire.

I'll add that the oem rims for my car are 1000 each if they also were damaged due to a blow out.

I think it's worth it. It's really hard to look at your tires when your driving. The system does it for you. But I agree a quick look before your trip is a very good idea. Preventative maint. Is always good.

To each their own.

Yes you may be able to put in a regular valve stem if the hole isn't corroded out. You would have the light on because it doesn't see the sesnor at the corect pressure or the sesnors at all.

Edited by JOHNBIGDOG

On 3/31/2017 at 3:39 PM, ClownColor said:

Ain't that the truth!

More updates...Harbor Freight has a bead break with good reviews for $40! I could buy all the tools and kits for less than what they charge to fix. And it seems like a five minute fix...famous last words right? LOL

Probably bring it to the shop with the kit and go form there.

I'll keep you posted and we'll see if I dig a bigger hole or come out ahead.

most often the metal stem and nut are so corroded that they will break when you try to remove it. If you are lucky enough that the nut comes off than a rebuild kit will probably solve the problem as the area where the rubber gasket seals becomes corroded. Removing the sensor, cleaning the mating surface, installing a new gasket will most likely fix the problem.

I replace a lot of them and I do not believe we charge that much to do the whole job.

If the sensor needs to be replaced there shouldn't be any problem programing the new sensor to the vehicle. Any good shop that deals with tires should have the right equipment and at least one guy that knows how to use it.

I also like the TPMS system. It has saved me from ruining one tire and is a great reminder to check the tire pressures when it starts getting cold. You would be surprised at how many people drive around with the light on for months and never check the tires until they come in for service. Its not uncommon for the pressures to be down 10+ PSI by that point.

The good news is that we very rarely run into sensors that have worn out batteries. More often the sensor stems are broken or the nuts have cracked. The rubber snap in style are the way to go IMO but they are not available for all vehicles.

UPDATE:

I bought a rebuild kit for $10 and brought it in to Twin city tire and they had it done in 15 minutes for $19! This is what I don't get, I asked the Toyota dealership if they could rebuild it and they said no, and that I needed to replace the whole sensor...again for $283. This is the second time they fed me incorrect info and tried to up sell me on fixes I didn't need. The dealership in question... Burnsville Toyota. I don't think they realize how much info is out on the web. I also get the web isnt  always correct (I work in a hospital so we see it too) but there's no reason they couldn't have check into this further and seen it only needed a new gasket... Heck, they had the tire off. It was basically easier for them to install the complete TPMS then to try the cheap $10 fix.

So $29 and I'm set...until the next one goes!

Thanks guy!

Good to know about the repair option, should I need it on my Highlander.   One question for the pro guys here.   Are dealers required to use the assemblies from the manufacturer in a case like this?  Is this safety equipment?  Is there some official repair procedure manual that is mandatory? 

I leased a Corolla from there about 10 years ago with no troubles but they are certainly good at trying to get you to part with your Benjamin's if you let them.

My wife just got a tire estimate on her Durango and discount tire offers tpms rebuilding for I believe less than $10 per tire with new tire purchase.

9 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Good to know about the repair option, should I need it on my Highlander.   One question for the pro guys here.   Are dealers required to use the assemblies from the manufacturer in a case like this?  Is this safety equipment?  Is there some official repair procedure manual that is mandatory? 

Just to elaborate... I bought the rebuilt kits at the Toyota dealership and they were Toyota OEM. I could have bought ones online ranging from $2.99-4.99 that were aftermarket that probably were exactly the same...by since I was taking them in and paying for someone to remove the tire, I didn't want to find out they didn't fit wasting more time and money.

The thought may have been that when they remove it and break it they then force a 30 Buck repair to a new sensor. So instead of getting your hopes up they just estimated the sensor.   On the same note the options should have been on the table. 

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:45 PM, JOHNBIGDOG said:

The thought may have been that when they remove it and break it they then force a 30 Buck repair to a new sensor. So instead of getting your hopes up they just estimated the sensor.   On the same note the options should have been on the table. 

I think I left part of the dealership conversation out but this seems like a great time to fill it in...

When I went in and explained the slow leak, where it was at, and the possibility of using a rebuild kit, he looked up my info, saw I bought the tires form them, and that since it was under two years, Toyota would cover it...FOR FREE! I even signed a receipt saying the bill would be $0 cost to me.

So it was quite a surprise when the service manager  comes out to the lobby and says, "I got some bad news. Since your truck has TPMS, it's going to cost $283 and it's not covered by the warranty." LOL so yeah....getting my hopes up.