• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pumpkin advice

Crow Hunter

I would like to grow some pumpkins this year in the field on my hunting land in Wadena county. The ground is mostly sand. Can I dig a few holes, fill them with black dirt/compost and plant the plants in these, will they grow ok? Any advice will be appreciated.

36 minutes ago, Crow Hunter said:

I would like to grow some pumpkins this year in the field on my hunting land in Wadena county. The ground is mostly sand. Can I dig a few holes, fill them with black dirt/compost and plant the plants in these, will they grow ok? Any advice will be appreciated.

Probably.    What are you out if they don't grow?   Just use seeds.   No need to buy plants.   A couple bucks will get enough seeds to plant quite a few hills (plant several seeds in a group).   Or plant butternut squash and you get to eat some too.    Or Blue Hubbard...  

I planned on getting seeds and starting them at home, I won't be up there until late April. I have planted squash up there and they did not grow, I will look at blue hubbard, I have not had/grown them before, they sound interesting.

3 hours ago, Crow Hunter said:

I planned on getting seeds and starting them at home, I won't be up there until late April. I have planted squash up there and they did not grow, I will look at blue hubbard, I have not had/grown them before, they sound interesting.

My folks liked them.  The Hubbards are large and the flesh is quite thick.   Plants in late april is jumping the gun.  Liable to freeze, even with global warming.   reasonable chance of frost there until middle of may.  You want the dirt to be warm, so think of them like tomatoes or cucumbers.   seeds rot in cold soil.    frost kills plants

2 hours ago, Crow Hunter said:

You are right... I think I will plan to plant the first week of June when I get back up there. I will have the plants growing in containers, and transplant them.

I plant pumpkin by Hackensack and it's pretty Sandy and try to get water to them if it's really dry, some years good some not so good. Fertilize and some composted manure helps.