Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Mick Tisron

Tri moto 125

4 posts in this topic

Just bought an old tri moto,  82 I think?

3 pulls and cylinder has so much gas and compression that it stops rolling over. Pull plug, and pull cord, gas comes out of the plug hole a pint at a time. Shouldn't the gas be going out the exhaust? Is the exhaust valve stuck?

What about the amount of gas building up in the cylinder? Seems like a lot?

I guess we'll start there.

Posted (edited)

Careful with that.  My nephew burnt up a dirt bike trying to start it with those same symptoms.

The first thing to do is disable the coil so it can't spark when you are trying to start it flooded.  Then I would remove the carb, and completely rebuild it paying particular attention to the float and float setting.

Could be the reeds in the intake, or valves, if it's a 4 stroke,  but my first suspect would be the float in the carb.

The other thing to check is crankshaft seals & gaskets if it's a 2 stroke..

Edited by swamptiger

AHH..... Memories.... I would have loved to have a odometer on our  Tri-Moto 125, had to have put thousands of miles on that 3 wheeler, burnt it down a few times when we were kids but Dad said you'll have to learn to fix it yourself! I'm not bringing it back to the dealer every time there's something wrong! We got good at new pistons and rings and gasket sets..... eventually we brought it to the dealer in pieces after we couldn't fix it anymore, think it was a rod bearing that eventually was it's demise, ended up getting a rippin' Tri-Moto 175 after that, those wheelers were our main transportation since we didn't have drivers licenses yet....... good times for sure.

You're carb is having issues, I would go there first, somethings not stopping the fuel from getting into your carb, either the float has a hole in it and isn't floating, or it could be sticking somewhere or your needle and seat are shot.

Give the carb a good once over and you should have your problem fixed.

Those were pretty basic 2 cycle engines, I don't think they even had reed valves.

Mike

leech~~ likes this

25 minutes ago, MN Mike said:

AHH..... Memories.... I would have loved to have a odometer on our  Tri-Moto 125, had to have put thousands of miles on that 3 wheeler, burnt it down a few times when we were kids but Dad said you'll have to learn to fix it yourself! I'm not bringing it back to the dealer every time there's something wrong! We got good at new pistons and rings and gasket sets..... eventually we brought it to the dealer in pieces after we couldn't fix it anymore, think it was a rod bearing that eventually was it's demise, ended up getting a rippin' Tri-Moto 175 after that, those wheelers were our main transportation since we didn't have drivers licenses yet....... good times for sure.

You're carb is having issues, I would go there first, somethings not stopping the fuel from getting into your carb, either the float has a hole in it and isn't floating, or it could be sticking somewhere or your needle and seat are shot.

Give the carb a good once over and you should have your problem fixed.

Those were pretty basic 2 cycle engines, I don't think they even had reed valves.

Mike

Plus+ 1 the carb. It's filling up the crank case with gas. After you clean or rebuild the carb tip it on the side with the plug out to drain the crank before trying to start it. Or if it's going to be a while take the plug out now and may be the gas will evap a bit by the time you get at the repair. good luck and let us know how it went. That was my first ATC.