• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish with a lamprey attached to it

tomasz20

I caught a walleye on LOW with one attached. It fell off in the boat, man can those things squirm! One of the ugliest creatures I've ever seen, scared the bajesus out of me.

16 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

That's a native lamprey. They are harmless to fish. Only sea lampreys kill fish.

Not sure I'm sold on that. How would they eat-suck on a host and not harm them by making a nice hole in them? :confused:

I meant harmless in the sense they don't kill fish. With that being said, I'm sure the host fish would prefer that it not have a lamprey attached to it, but at the end of the day, the fish will live...literally. Lampreys are very common in the upper St. Croix River system. I see them attached to redhorse all the time, which makes sense, as redhorse are by far the most abundant fish in the system. If the lampreys haven't "crashed" that system after several thousand years of coexistence, I'm liking gamefishes' chances for the next several thousand years also :grin: