• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frogs .....

Cret Jigs

Hi guys ... Everyone was very helpful last year with what line to use ect...   As I was a fairly new Bass fisherman.  Had a great last open water season as did great with Texas rigs with variety of Senko's.  Also started throwing frogs with 50# power pro with 7'6" med Heavy rod ... wow is that fun!!   What brand is every throwing or like?   I'm going to try the Bobby's Perfect Frog this year :) by Snag Proof.  I threw the Booya's this last year and that is a rush.  Can't wait for some basin times!!

Last year I caught the most fish on a Zoom Horny Toad.  Tru Tungsten Mad Maxx was my top hollow body; That company went belly up at least five years ago.  I also caught some on Spro, Snagproof, Booyah, Lunkerhunt and I got my biggest bass last year on a LiveTarget.  I had problems with the fish staying stuck on the Booyah's.  

I got some Terminator Poppers to try this year. 

Edited by Search Function

This Bass fishing is highly addictive!!   I have some Snag Proof Bobby's perfect frog coming this week and also ordered some SPRO's and a Terminator.  All hollow body soft shell.  I just fooled around with frogs last year and did a lot of reading u such.  Hope to really expand my frog fishing this year.  I fish a small clear lake with lots of weeds and lily pads with good depth of the weed lines.  should be fun!  Thanks all for sharing!!

I use 4/0 unweighted Stanley Ribbit Double Take Frog Hooks.  They have become rather expensive so I fish them with 30lb Umpqua Tyger Wire Leader to help prevent bite off's from pike.  For a single hook I like it to have a screw in head like a 4/0 Owner Beast or the Zoom Horny Toad Hook.  The Horny Toads really excel in the early and mid fall once the shallow slop starts dying back.  Horny toads and buzzbaits are a solid fall pattern.  Calm water is better for Horny Toads.  If there is ripple on the water Stanley Ribbit's and Strike King Rage Toads create more commotion.    

Edited by Search Function

If you want to keep it simple, buy a bunch of black Booyah Pad Crashers. They're relatively inexpensive (compared to some frogs, anyway), pretty durable, and draw tons of strikes. You can mess with different colors for fun, but you can't really go wrong with black.

Terminator's new(ish) frogs are also amazingly good, and cast and walk better than Booyahs IMO.

On 3/26/2017 at 5:55 PM, Search Function said:

I use 4/0 unweighted Stanley Ribbit Double Take Frog Hooks.  They have become rather expensive so I fish them with 30lb Umpqua Tyger Wire Leader to help prevent bite off's from pike.  For a single hook I like it to have a screw in head like a 4/0 Owner Beast or the Zoom Horny Toad Hook.  The Horny Toads really excel in the early and mid fall once the shallow slop starts dying back.  Horny toads and buzzbaits are a solid fall pattern.  Calm water is better for Horny Toads.  If there is ripple on the water Stanley Ribbit's and Strike King Rage Toads create more commotion.    

I use those double hooks with the Horny toads also, but they always seem to land upside down. Any trick to get em to land up right. If you let them sink alittle, then they will turn over, but sometimes the cover is to thick for that .Maybe that is why you said you like them when the cover isn't so think.

we need some 50+ degree water!!    ok, were just starting to get 50 degree weather, that felt good yesterday.   So i fish a small clear lake and on a Saturday morning early and its June .... I am thinking frog for that early light lily pads?  What else you guys using in that scenereo?  or is that your weapon of choice to begin with?  I used the Yama Swim worm last year .... WOW!!  that worked but i think this Frog could be fun also!

Yes, 50's felt nice yesterday. :) 

If the pads have some holes and gaps or when fishing other shallow weeds that are submerged a bit, then I usually throw a Zara spook for early morning top water action. For me I feel hook ups are better than a frog. Always fun to see one disappear in a big boil of water!

Oh almost forgot, also have a senko on another rod ready in case they miss. Sometimes that will get them to bite again. 

Edited by RuddyDuck

Caught a 19" Bass fishing for Crappie last night!!   I was using 2.5" Gulp Minnows on a small Jig catching Crappie and i couldn't get a good pic as it was dark and couldn't get flash to come on my phone.   4 pound test .... nice little fight .... Had a few nice swirls nip my Bobber also five minutes before that.   Crappies were 10" and thin (hungry)  all returned for some catch n release recreational fishing!!  :) 

Terminator Walking and Popping Frogs are the only frogs you need.

Widest hook gap of any frog on the market.

They walk easier than any frog since the weight is so far to the rear of the frog.

Soft and collapse easy.

It will be the only hollow body frog I throw now.

19 hours ago, Hawg said:

Terminators are just Live Target knockoffs IMHO. Also one of the few 3/4 oz frogs out there, great for long casts.

Huh?  They look totally different to me.  The Terminators copied no one to come up with that goofy looking profile.  Apparently they catch fish pretty good though.  I got some poppers and an original to try this year.  I am really interested in the Jr. version that will be coming out this year.