• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Front door lock and handset

Tom7227

Today's decision involves buying a new lock and handle for the front door.  Mrs. is focusing on one that has a deadbolt and then a separate handle that doesn't include a lock.  Antique bronze is the finish she is attracted to.  So will the finish hold up on the thumb thing that you use to open the door?  I would hate to buy it and have the stuff wear off in a few years.  Looking at a $130 set by Schlage so it isn't junk.  They also sell setups where the deadbolt is a number combination thing.  Anyone have ideas on the wisdom of those?  I wonder what happens when the battery dies and you have to go to the head really bad.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

I got an electronic sliding deadbolt on the garage and the house. It is the BEST THING EVER!!!! just push in 4 number and it opens up without any other input. To lock, you just push one button. I think maybe Quickset brand or something like that. I liekd it more than Schlage model.

My Mom had one that you put in the 4 digit combo and then have to turn a knob. Still nice, but the auto one is awesome.

It beeps for unsuccessful, and it willgive a red (rather than green) light and also a beepbeepbeep when the batteries get low. Pretty easy and forgiving to let you know when to change them. I have not had them go totally out on me yet in about 5 years or more, but I change them usually after about a week of beepbeepbeeping ;) I would guess I change them 1-2 times a year, more in the garage as it gets locked and unlocked more.

Seriously, best thing ever. I never carry keys anymore, never. I leave keys right in the vehicles in the garage, dont' bother bringing them into the house anymore. At the cabin I leave keys right in vehicles as well.

Edited by BoxMN

Electronic locks definitely have ups and downs.  I had a worst case happen awhile ago.  We are selling our house and only have one key.  We usually depend on either the electric lock or going in through the garage door.  Well.... we had a showing one day and they locked the deadbolt to the garage, our only key was in the realtors lock box.  The same day the batteries died on the key pad.  There I am, with a 1 year old and a 3 year old in the middle of winter sitting in my truck.  Ultimately I popped the screen and broke in through a downstairs bedroom but there you have it.  Easily avoidable by just being a bit more organized than me, but back to the question on batteries.  When they die, have a spare key.