• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transducer placement

DLD24

Question

Does it matter if you mount your ducers port side or starboard...I have read a lot of people saying the prop messes it up on the port side. Then people that say it doesn't matter... In my head it shouldn't matter, because the prop is hitting the water that already went over the ducer. Also I'll be mounting a side imaging and a high speed ducer, I know you want the SI lower and closest to the keel...Do you want the ducers as close to the center as you can get them? I keep reading conflicting info on that too. Some say close as you can get it some say 15" from the prop...I feel like it shouldn't matter either side and you'd want them as close to the center as possible... Correct me if I'm wrong :)

8 answers to this question

The owners manual on the last 1 we mounted said to put it on either side, starboard for us, depending on which way the prop turned. I think the distance from prop & how high can vary with the different units & different hull designs. Ideally trying to keep it away from as much cavitation as possible in order to get optimum performance. What brand of unit do you have? I would try to contact 1 of their techs to see what they recommend. Might even try the boat manufacturer or some place where you do the majority of your business for buying fishing equiptment that might sell your unit.  

You might want to look into a transducer board too. They can save you from drilling more holes in your transom if you want to move it or need to replace you unit. I've heard of people using cutting boards to make their own instead of buying them as long as they are thick enough.