• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rails for fish house bunk bed

kudu63

Was wondering what people are using for a safety rail on their top bunks.  I want to install something on mine to keep the kids from accidently rolling out of bed during the night.   It needs to setup quickly and removable as when I flip up the bunch there is not room for any type of rail.   Was thinking about making something with PVC that was be lite and small to put away in storage during the day.  Would probably have it covering maybe up to half of the bunch length.  Any pictures would be much appreciated of your setup.

On March 10, 2017 at 10:24 AM, KSBR16 said:

kudu63- take a look at these guys for bunk rails. 

https://k-s-bunk-rails.myshopify.com.  Or on facebook at

K&S Bunk Rails 

Couldn't find the bracket I wanted to make my bunk rails. So bit the bullet and ordered 2 sets of the K&S bunk rail brackets..........I wasn't overly impressed with the brackets.....they are made of some thin material. I'm sure they will work fine, just way over priced IMO at $25 a set. 

Looks like that should work - I will probably just make some.  Thinking I can get those brackets from a big box store and some 1x4's.  But I would only probably only got about one third of the length so you can get into the bunk easier.

Yeah, they just slip in and out of the brackets So they can be removed and set outside. I haven't driven down the road with them yet. I think I will have to put a bungie cord or something that will hook from the bracket to the top of the board. That way they won't come out off the bracket when driving down the road. 

23 hours ago, Agronomist_at_IA said:

The rails I put on aren't for sleeping so much. They are more for keeping sleeping bags, duffle bags and stuff like that on the bunks when driving down the road.

Something like this could be a cheap easy way to keep them in place without having to keep track of spare bungies.  Latch on your rails and just drill the eye loop into your bracket.

Capture.JPG

8 hours ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

Something like this could be a cheap easy way to keep them in place without having to keep track of spare bungies.  Latch on your rails and just drill the eye loop into your bracket.

Capture.JPG

That would work. What I'm thinking is if you look at the bunk above my couch in the bottom picture you can see two silver metal brackets. That the RV Ladder hooks into. My plan is to just to hook a bungie off one bracket then over the rail then back on the other bracket. I got to get two more of those ladder brackets for the back bunk for the ladder. If it doesn't hold the rails down, I'll be going to the latch like you've shown.